• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do schools kill creativity?

Creativity cannot be overrated, however, talent often is.

This sounds like semantics.

For example, do you think creative interpretation of how fast to drive in the passing lane, what a red light means, or which side of the road to drive on is a good thing?

What depth of ignorance produces a person who thinks creativity has nothing to do with learning? As if creative arts are some kind of superfluous icing on a cake of important rules where imagination has no place. Amazing.

Dismal, do you realize just how creative you yourself have to be to keep defending rigid rules over honest expression? Your own creative capacity just happens to be hijacked into devising defenses for an entrenched view rather than in the free, questioning kind of thinking that makes our species so intelligent. Creativity that serves to just keep you stupid and rigid is not useful or practical for human beings.

If you don't understand your own humanness, how can we expect you to understand, or even notice, ours or our children's?

I don't recall having said anything like that.
It's clear to me that you don't understand what creativity even is.

For example, do you think creative interpretation of how fast to drive in the passing lane, what a red light means, or which side of the road to drive on is a good thing?

So you think bad driving is original, something the bad driver just created and no one has ever done before?

Creativity is about looking at the way things are and imagining something new.

One has to be taught the alphabet before they can read. But reading isn't creative, the writing is.

But if all we had was rule following and the ability to read we would have nothing to read.

So you think bad driving is original, something the bad driver just created and no one has ever done before?

Yes, every day on the way to work I see drivers do things I could not have imagined.

And I can imagine a lot of things.

One has to be taught the alphabet before they can read. But reading isn't creative, the writing is.

But if all we had was rule following and the ability to read we would have nothing to read.

ERJEHJAO jfrtoki jajisjpe o

I followed fewer rules in writing the first line than the second.

Which gave you something to read?

It's clear to me that you don't understand what creativity even is.

OK, what is it?

Here's one definition: cre·a·tiv·i·ty
ˌkrēāˈtivədē/
noun
the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work.
synonyms: inventiveness, imagination, innovation, innovativeness, originality, individuality; artistry, inspiration, vision; enterprise, initiative, resourcefulness

Whatever else might serve as a good definition, "all that is terrible and untrustworthy in human nature" isn't it. Give your cardiovascular system a rest.

OK, what is it?

What do you think it is?

I'm reasonably OK with your definition that it's the ability to imagine new and different things.

Where I seem to part company with the herd is I can imagine that sometimes new and different things are bad/useless whereas most people here lack the ability to imagine this.

Perhaps they are products of our schools.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, what is it?

Here's one definition: cre·a·tiv·i·ty
ˌkrēāˈtivədē/
noun
the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work.
synonyms: inventiveness, imagination, innovation, innovativeness, originality, individuality; artistry, inspiration, vision; enterprise, initiative, resourcefulness

Whatever else might serve as a good definition, "all that is terrible and untrustworthy in human nature" isn't it. Give your cardiovascular system a rest.

You seem to have a particularly strong ability to imagine people have said something they didn't.

Congratulations on avoiding our schools.

Although I might add this is an example of the sort of creativity that I don't find particularly good or useful.

ERJEHJAO jfrtoki jajisjpe o

I followed fewer rules in writing the first line than the second.

Which gave you something to read?

Both

They are both something to read.

The first shows more creativity than the second.

Yes, every day on the way to work I see drivers do things I could not have imagined.

If this is your best defense, evidently not.

I'm reasonably OK with your definition that it's the ability to imagine new and different things.

Where I seem to part company with the herd is I can imagine that sometimes new and different things are bad/useless whereas most people here lack the ability to imagine this.

There is no progress without creativity.

Even if 99% of creative ideas are worthless, without creativity we make no progress.

And to limit and stifle and extinguish creativity, as education many time does, in the name of conformity, limits our progress.

If this is your best defense, evidently not.

Do you think all new and original ideas are good?

Because, for example, you don't seem to find my idea to analogize creativity to failure to obey traffic laws particularly good or useful.

Even if 99% of creative ideas are worthless, without creativity we make no progress.

And to limit and stifle and extinguish creativity, as education many time does, in the name of conformity, limits our progress.

Ok. I agree with the first and second thing.

As for the third I don't know who you imagine is arguing for the stifling of creativity in the general. I have argued it's not helpful or useful for certain things with a specific example being interpretation of traffic laws. I do think we should stifle creativity there.

Guys, unless creativity leads to something that can be packaged up and sold off in tranches it's dumb and useless.

Ok. I agree with the first and second thing.

As for the third I don't know who you imagine is arguing for the stifling of creativity in the general. I have argued it's not helpful or useful for certain things with a specific example being interpretation of traffic laws. I do think we should stifle creativity there.

To use language doesn't require any formal education. It only requires exposure to language at the right time in development. Children know grammar already and use it before they even go to school. Normal humans have a universal innate grammar.

Nobody has an innate driving skill. Driving is entirely a learned skill.

Back
Top Bottom