• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does an online presence change morality?

I’m guessing that very few people adhere to a perfectly rigid moral system. As evidenced by how many people do things to others they wouldn’t want done to them or do things they know are wrong if they know they are unlikely to get caught. Everyone from petty criminals to full-fledged politicians.
You're avoiding answering my question. Are you in a dilemma?
Which question am I avoiding? I agreed with you earlier. And what dilemma are you imagining?
I see you say you don't know what that question is, but you know what it is well enough to delete it.

Here's the answer: The treatment I've received in this forum is stupid, cruel, unjust, and deceitful. Big Time. Major League. I'll leave you to decide if that's immoral.

I’m guessing that very few people adhere to a perfectly rigid moral system. As evidenced by how many people do things to others they wouldn’t want done to them or do things they know are wrong if they know they are unlikely to get caught. Everyone from petty criminals to full-fledged politicians.
Which question am I avoiding? I agreed with you earlier. And what dilemma are you imagining?
I see you say you don't know what that question is, but you know what it is well enough to delete it.

Here's the answer: The treatment I've received in this forum is stupid, cruel, unjust, and deceitful. Big Time. Major League. I'll leave you to decide if that's immoral.
Very Trump like.

Trump has always been a bully. Now when the consequences of his abusive behavior comes back to him he complains that he is an innocent victim.

And of course whenever his assertions are challenged and proven wrong he calls everybody stupid. As president he said plainly he knew more than the generals and state department experts.

He claims his degree from Wharton proves he is smart, yet his business life was riddled wit failures and questionable finnaces.

Trump famously graduated from Penn's Wharton School in 1968 — a fact he reminds audiences of over and over again. (Per Penn's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian, he publicly name-dropped Wharton 52 times between June 2015 and January 2018.)Sep 14, 2019

He still whines that the election was stolen.

So Solder, you are making no headway here, except perhaps venting your personal frustrations. That is fine by me.

I doubt you are putting off or offending anyone here at least to any serious degree, we have seen it all before.

You had asked that question in the same post you accused me of avoiding the question. So I couldn’t avoid a question you hadn’t asked yet.

I’m assuming this is the question: “Is treating people badly online right or wrong?”

Based on my interactions with you on this forum it is not clear that we will agree on what is considered right and wrong.

One of the problems people have is that they take online interactions with strangers far too seriously.

The treatment I've received in this forum is stupid, cruel, unjust, and deceitful. Big Time. Major League. I'll leave you to decide if that's immoral.
The behaviour you have demonstrated in this forum is stupid, cruel, unjust and deceitful. I'll leave you to decide whether turnabout is fair play, and let others decide whether your accusations here are just, or merely accusing the mirror.

Everyone knew this thread was all about you when you started it. And it really is about you, but in a way you don’t intend. The clue can be found in the title of another recent thread: Every accusation is a confession.

Confess away to your own bad behavior. It’s amusing.

Anyway, if you feel you’ve been treated so badly here, why don’t you just leave?

What I don't understand is why someone who perceives themselves as being "bullied" stays here. And, why someone who makes all kinds of accusations towards other posters believes that they are the one under attack.

Cyber bullying is mostly something that teenagers are guilty of and sometimes it's extreme. I grew up in the generation that was taught never to allow what others say about you, hurt you. I maintain that attitude to this day. And, if I felt as if I was being constantly insulted here, I'd simply leave. People sometimes do insult each other here, but it's far from what I would consider cyber bullying. Plus, all of us are grown up adults who should be able to take insults from time to time without acting as if we've been targeted with a crime.

Do some research as to what teens do to each other when they are online. It's far worse than what happens here and yes, many states do have laws against this type of bullying. Despite the occasional insult, including the many times that US has insulted or projected his own problems on the rest of us, I wouldn't consider any of that as bullying. But, yes. We should all try to the best of our ability to treat each other decently, when we are online. But, when someone tells you something about yourself that isn't true, it often brings out a bit of anger in the person being attacked. It's just human nature.

And US, nobody made an actual death threat towards you. What was said wasn't meant to be taken literally. It was simply a response to something insulting that you said. I would never have taken it literally. For fucks's sake, none of us even know each other in real life. We don't know the address of each other. If I were to seriously threaten death to a person I know irl, that's making a terroristic threat in the state of Georgia and I could be arrested for that. That's not what happened here.

So, if you hate us so much and think most of us are bullies, I suggest that you consider leaving for the sake of your own mental health. I doubt you will because you seem to enjoy clashing with others here. Just sayin'.

What I don't understand is why someone who perceives themselves as being "bullied" stays here.

That's a very deep psychological question and we don't know enough about the poster to be certain of reasons. If you examine the poster's history at other sites such as CARM you will observe that he says he seeks out speaking what he perceives as truth to others to the point of prioritizing it over everything else and getting banned from each site. He then likens his banning to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

If we examine posts here and extrapolate, it would seem there is a repeated pattern of surrounding himself with an air of moral and intellectual superiority, finger-pointing at others--to include claims of knowing what is going on in their minds, saying he is a "superb poster" and has the best arguments. It isn't that the posts escalate at all in the sense of an air of superiority because the posts begin with that pomposity and superiority as an introduction into the fora. Then, next after demanding superiority and concessions he must be right about everything, there are reactions like "hey, you don't know what is going on in my head. what are you talking about?" and then following that, he starts preemptively attacking moderators and staff saying he will be banned for speaking truths and that he is bullied from the reactions produced by his lack of open-mindedness and humility. After receiving confrontations by posters, there are childish responses and photoshopped captions on bizarre caricatures by him.

Does he seek confrontation, obeisance, or therapeutic support?

We can really only shrug at this and wonder could it be a repeated pattern due to a past trauma or maybe some of the threads should just get auto-moved to private discussion with staff and others moved to Support and Fireside...while others are left for regular discussion.

What I don't understand is why someone who perceives themselves as being "bullied" stays here.

That's a very deep psychological question and we don't know enough about the poster to be certain of reasons. If you examine the poster's history at other sites such as CARM you will observe that he says he seeks out speaking what he perceives as truth to others to the point of prioritizing it over everything else and getting banned from each site. He then likens his banning to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

If we examine posts here and extrapolate, it would seem there is a repeated pattern of surrounding himself with an air of moral and intellectual superiority, finger-pointing at others--to include claims of knowing what is going on in their minds, saying he is a "superb poster" and has the best arguments. It isn't that the posts escalate at all in the sense of an air of superiority because the posts begin with that pomposity and superiority as an introduction into the fora. Then, next after demanding superiority and concessions he must be right about everything, there are reactions like "hey, you don't know what is going on in my head. what are you talking about?" and then following that, he starts preemptively attacking moderators and staff saying he will be banned for speaking truths and that he is bullied from the reactions produced by his lack of open-mindedness and humility. After receiving confrontations by posters, there are childish responses and photoshopped captions on bizarre caricatures by him.

We can really only shrug at this and wonder could it be a repeated pattern due to a past trauma or maybe some of the threads should just get auto-moved to private discussion with staff and others moved to Support and Fireside...while others are left for regular discussion.
Well said. Being adult used to mean being able to deal with some degree of personal dislikes and so on.

The saying I remember is 'sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'.

The question is would he interact with people in real life in this way or has his morality changed due to his online presence?

I've been a member of many forums over the last 20+ years.
Once the OP mentioned that he's been Jagella for nearly all of it, I remembered Jagella the Troll from a few of them.

It's a consistent pattern.
Tom
Thanks. I didn't realize that. For most of the past 22 years, this is the only place I've posted, other than the now defunct Secular Cafe, and a couple of other small discussion boards that have been closed for a number of years. There was nobody in any of those places who projected their problems and weaknesses on the rest of us.

Ya know Jags,

When you think that everyone is out to get you the problem is usually not everyone else.
Tom

Last edited:
Another old saying, no matter where you go there YOU are.

If you always get the same negative response from people no matter where you go you might want to think that over.

My first impression was Soldier is relatively isolated without a lot of social interact on.

For most of the past 22 years, this is the only place I've posted, other than the now defunct Secular Cafe

I have a long and checkered past.
Been there done that.

Not like you good girls from New Jersey who escaped to Georgia.
Tom

Ya know Jags,

When you think that everyone is out to get you the problem is usually not everyone else.
Tom
OK, fine, Tom, if you want to believe that, then go right ahead. I already know that I won't change your mind.

But what of that nice boy who hanged himself after he was bullied online by those people who told him to commit suicide? Will you blame him? Would you tell his parents that he got what he deserved? Can you honestly say that those who bullied him did nothing wrong?

I'm asking you these questions because I do get the impression that you do have a sense of right and wrong.

I don't think you should commit suicide. There I said it.

But while you're here can you at least make thoughtful, cogent arguments? No one can force you to, but freedom of speech is not freedom of consequence.

aa

Ya know Jags,

Tom
OK, fine, Tom, if you want to believe that, then go right ahead. I already know that I won't change your mind.

But what of that nice boy who hanged himself after he was bullied online by those people who told him to commit suicide? Will you blame him? Would you tell his parents that he got what he deserved? Can you honestly say that those who bullied him did nothing wrong?

I'm asking you these questions because I do get the impression that you do have a sense of right and wrong.

You have to be kidding, right? People here have encouraged you to commit suicide? You’ve been bullied in any way? How? By who?

You think anyone here would encourage someone to commit suicide, or support such behavior?

Never mind, these are rhetorical questions, and since you allegedly have me on ignore you probably won’t see them anyway. I recommend you “ban” (lol) everyone so you can talk only to yourself. Of course, in that case, there’s always a chance you’ll start ”bullying“ yourself.

Back
Top Bottom