• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Donald the Orange and Family Sued in NY

Listening to Thom Hartman, Trump valued Mar-a-Lardo at 75 million to the taxing authorities but when applying for loans against the property he valued it at 750 million.
What a country!
Yeah, it is quite acceptable for rich people to overvalue their property here and undervalue it there. It isn't nearly as widespread a problem is Russia, because only a few people own property. :)
Rich people are allowed to lie to IRS and banks?
Yup.
What a country!
It isn't a perfect system, by any means. It helped cause the Great Recession in 2008! To make matters worse, corporate consolidation is growing larger and larger, and so much of public interest is getting privatized into fewer and fewer hands. At some point, in the distant future, it might get as bad as it is in Russia.

Richest thieves are probably british monarchy and they DO NOT pay taxes.
The monarch isn't legally required to pay taxes, but the late Queen paid income tax voluntarily, and the King has indicated that he will continue to do so.

Like most of the constraints on the power and person of the crown, the paying of tax is a matter of accepting rules voluntarily, in order to avoid the unpleasantness of having them imposed by force of law.

The British monarchy hasn't stolen anything in the lifetimes of the surviving family members. Of course, the vast majority of their wealth is from land stolen by their predecessors, but mostly that was stolen from other previous thieves.

The monarch isn't legally required to pay taxes, but the late Queen paid income tax voluntarily, and the King has indicated that he will continue to do so.
Well, according to John Oliver they actually don't.

Well, according to John Oliver they actually don't.
And according to the British government (HMRC), and the royal family, they do. So John Oliver is wrong (or you've misunderstood or misreported what he said).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...hment_data/file/208633/mou_royal_taxation.pdf

If you have evidence that the Memorandum of Understanding that I provided is being ignored, you should take that up with HMRC.

If you prefer to take the word of a TV comedian over that of a legal document, that's up to you. But I expect you to be consistent in that case, and to never ever again be derisive of Volodymyr Zelenskyy for his TV comedian background.

Rich people are allowed to lie to IRS and banks?
What a country!
Whatever his faults, and whatever the relative levels of corruption in U.S.A. and Russia, barbos is not wrong to claim that U.S. practices favor the rich. The modern global economy has led to RISING inequality in many or most countries, when inequality is measured WITHIN the given country.

For me, the most surprising thing about Trump's tax returns is that apparently he was NOT under audit, despite what appear likely to be blatant million-dollar frauds.

Richest thieves are probably british monarchy and they DO NOT pay taxes.

Like most of the constraints on the power and person of the crown, the paying of tax is a matter of accepting rules voluntarily, in order to avoid the unpleasantness of having them imposed by force of law.

The British monarchy hasn't stolen anything in the lifetimes of the surviving family members. Of course, the vast majority of their wealth is from land stolen by their predecessors, but mostly that was stolen from other previous thieves.

The present King inherited his wealth from his mother who inherited from her father, back all the way to the Bastard who conquered England some 956 years ago. How is this different from the Walton children and grandchildren who inherited their billions?

Or different from Mildred Oshkosh who inherited her home in Scranton Pennsylvania from someone who ... [elided] ... inherited from William Penn who was granted present-day Pennsylvania and Delaware to repay gambling debts owed by King Charles II. (Never mind whether Pennsylvania was Charles' to give away.)

The present King inherited his wealth from his mother who inherited from her father, back all the way to the Bastard who conquered England some 956 years ago.
Yes. That's what I was referring to when I said "the vast majority of their wealth is from land stolen by their predecessors, but mostly that was stolen from other previous thieves". The current King isn't a direct patrilineal descendant of William the Bastard. There's been a fair number of breaks in the line, including Henry VII's deposing of Richard III, and William of Orange's coup d'état against James II; And any number of discarded bastards and suspect queen's sons who might or might not have been the king's.

The whole thing is a massive mess. But ultimately the Normans rocked up and stole the whole damn country, partly from Vikings who had stolen half of it from Angles, Saxons and Jutes, and the rest from those Anglo-Saxons, who stole it from the Romano-British descendants of the Romans, who stole it from the Celts.
How is this different from the Walton children and grandchildren who inherited their billions?
I neither know nor care.

It remains untrue that "Richest thieves are probably british monarchy and they DO NOT pay taxes." They do pay taxes, despite Barbos straining his back to move the goalposts away from his original and demonstrably false claim. They may be richest; They're plausibly handlers of stolen goods, if not thieves in their own right; But they absolutely do pay taxes.

Barbos was factually wrong, and having demonstrated this, I shouldn't have bothered to respond further to his nonsense. That is a mistake I can now desist from making, so I shall say no more. If he wants to imagine that others are unaware that he was wrong, then he'll be wrong about that too.

Oh wait... you meant for stuff you want to believe.
as I said, in that particular case.
You said two thing:

Yes, in this particular case I do. (narrow focus)

and

His programs are well researched and evidencied. (wider, more generalized focus)

You words, not mine. If you aren't going to stand by them, you don't need to post them.

Oh wait... you meant for stuff you want to believe.
as I said, in that particular case.
You said two thing:

Yes, in this particular case I do. (narrow focus)

and

His programs are well researched and evidencied. (wider, more generalized focus)

You words, not mine. If you aren't going to stand by them, you don't need to post them.
Yes, well researched. In some cases his sources are shit though.
Anyway, british royals do not pay corporate and inheritance tax.

Back
Top Bottom