• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Donald Trump rated last by researchers

Microsoft Word - Parliamentary Powers Index, Scores by Country.doc - PPIScores.pdf

"Please cite M. Steven Fish and Matthew Kroenig, The Handbook of National Legislatures: A Global Survey (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009)"

The US Congress is at 0.63, and the champions are Germany, Italy, and Mongolia at 0.84.

Measuring Legislative Power: An Expert Reweighting of the Fish‐Kroenig Parliamentary Powers Index - Chernykh - 2017 - Legislative Studies Quarterly - Wiley Online Library

Microsoft Word - LSQ_ORA.docx - LSQ_ORA.pdf - PDF version

Germany is the champion there at 5.932961 with Mongolia and Italy close behind. The US is 4.675570 at rank 39 - a good number, but behind a lot of other countries.

2150005 1..22 - liang-2021-variation-in-parliamentary-power-measurement-and-explanation.pdf - Variation in Parliamentary Power: Measurement
and Explanation - Haisen Liang

Grouping the Fish-Kroenig powers into
  • Influence over the executive
  • Institutional autonomy
  • Specified powers
  • Institutional capacity
The common characteristic that PPI and WLPS share is that both indexes measure the parliamentary power granted by the constitution or law, not the power in action. For most countries, the de-facto power has a substantial gap with the de-jure one. To overcome this deficiency, some case-based power measurements are in need.
PPI = unweighted list, WLPS = weighted list

So one should try to fix Congress and state legislatures and city councils.

Quality of democracy:
The champions are northern and some central European countries, and also some some northern-European ex-colonies: Canada, Australia, New Zealand.
  • The Democracy Index ranges from 0.32 (Afghanistan) to 9.81 (Norway) out of 10 - the US is #29 with 7.85
  • Freedom in the World ranges from 0 (Syria) to 100 (Finland, Norway, Sweden) out of 100 - the US is #61 with 83
  • The Democracy Matrix ranges from 0.017 (Eritrea) to 0.958 (Denmark) out of 1 - the US is #36 with 0.811
  • The Fragile States Index ranges from 14.5 (Norway) to 111.9 (Somalia) out of 120 - the US at #39 (179-141+1) with 45.3
Well behind the champions, despite being a northern-European ex-colony.

The champions are largely traditionally Protestant, and mostly speakers of Germanic languages. But I doubt that making verbs' past tenses with -t or vowel shifts had much of an influence. But was there some cultural heritage of the Germanic tribes that spread out from their homeland in N Germany / W Denmark during 2,500 - 1,000 years ago?

The highest scorers in quality of democracy have these features:
  • Parliamentary system: the executive branch is run out of the legislative branch
  • Proportional representation: political parties get represented in proportion to how many votes that they received
  • One dominant or only legislative chamber
  • Separate executive does not do much or is absent
The US fails all four of them.

The US has a strong-president or presidential system, and some countries have hybrid or semi-presidential systems, like France.

The best strong-president countries are the Costa Rica, Uruguay, Chile, South Korea, usually better than the US, also one of them.

The best hybrid-system countries are France, Portugal, and Taiwan, usually better than the US.

Most of the highest scorers have legislative elections by proportional representation. The US Congress is all single-member-district, however, and only a few high scorers have such legislature elections, notably the UK, Canada, and partially Australia.

As to electing the presidents, nearly every strong-president or hybrid country uses the popular vote without any intermediation. Countries with parliamentary systems use either the popular vote or else election by legislature.

The US Electoral College is used only by the US, and not by any other countries, and not by any US state or city.

The Electoral College is an afterthought, thought of by the Constitution's composers late in their deliberations, because they could not agree on how to elect the President. Congress? State governors?

In it, states choose electors, who then vote for the President. With the rise of political parties, the Electoral College became a rubber-stamp system, an aggregated and weighted quasi-popular vote.

In Alabama, IVF has virtually been eliminated by Christian judges and politicians. A Christian Judge in Texas might have laid the ground for eliminating medicinal abortions in the United States.
This is actually a textbook example of the whataboutism fallacy. Even though nobody here has defended these decisions, you are bringing up Christians just to divert attention from Muslims and Islam.

Christian judges and politicians are forcing rape victims in some states to go on a short vacation so they don't have a rapist's baby
As bad as that is, things are far, far worse where Islamists are in power. Like in Gaza.
Hamas bans women from riding motorbikes
Women need male guardian to travel, says Hamas court in Gaza Strip

Liberals don't shit themselves over Islam, because Christian Nationalists have been the greatest threat to our actual lives and rights for the last 200 years and currently the trajectory of that threat is rising.
Contemporary Islam is far worse than contemporary Christianity.
Do you really think human rights, including for women, are more threatened in Alabama than in Afghanistan? In Texas than in Tehran?

I really do not get Patooka's simping for Islam, nor your and others' defense of it.
There are Christi-fascists and Islamic fascists, neither of which comprise the entirety of Christianity or Islam. I think it is meaningless to debate which is worse. Both are, on some levels, a blow back reaction to ( relatively rapid) changes in society. 50 years ago, some Arab countries were literally centuries behind what we consider Western society, in terms of societal views, education, technology, basic standards of living and of course societal attitudes towards male and female roles, sexuality, crime and punishment, slavery and more. There’s been a hellovalot of change over the past several decades. Even if one disregards the roles played by Western powers eager to exploit the oil wealth and to try to shape their newly beloved Arab brothers into clones/useful idiots.

In the West—there still has been dramatic societal changes with the ( somewhat…uneven) embrace of Civil Rights, Women’s lib, more widespread acceptance of sexuality beyond heterosexual marriage plus children, much less isolation from ‘other’ people of different backgrounds and languages and colors, religions including no religion and languages, although different cuisines have been broadly and cheerfully accepted. At the same time, there has been a marked decrease in religiosity among Americans ( and I assume Europeans, South Americans, Canadians, Europeans). Not only that but much of our (American) societal structures are predicated on families being comprised of a married heterosexual couple who produce at least 2 children and preferably more.

I used to think a lot about all of the changes my grandfather saw in his lifetime: going from the days when he plowed the fields with a mule or horse….to seeing Neil Armstrong taking the first steps on the moon, now I think a lot about the societal changes I’ve witnessed over my lifetime, mostly about how much more openly people are able to live their lives and how much greater acceptance there is today for all the diversity we see around us now. I am arguing that these changes are equally dramatic—and equally positive.

But not without some downsides ( see the environment, see working parents struggle with raising children and paying for daycare, see diminishing family values of caring fur family.

My husband sees all of this rising fascism as the last dying gasp of the Old School falling to make room for the new.

Change is hard. Kids growing up pass through stages marked by difficulties in coping ( terrible 2’s, 3’s, 4’s and adolescence notable with changing bodies and brains and expectations and needs and wants, including funding effective and acceptable ways to express those needs and wants—and accepting that sometimes the answer is not now or even no or yes, you HAVE to. And of course the adult version of coping with all of this ( look how grown up they are!! And where’s my sweet baby my???)

I think we’re seeing a world wide societal version of this sane thing: The world is changing, in good ways and in bad ways. And people’s perceptions of what is good and what is bad differ.

It’s just question of whether we are going though our toddler years, adolescence, middle age or dementia.

Back
Top Bottom