• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Donald Trump rated last by researchers

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I am late for this, since  Presidents' Day was on Monday. It is intended as a combination of George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays. George Washington's is on February 11, 1732 in the Julian calendar, February 22, 1732 in the Gregorian calendar, which we now use. Abraham Lincoln's birthday is on February 12, 1809. In 1968, it was made the third Monday in February for convenience in celebrating.

Biden vs. Trump is not a close call in historians' Presidents Day survey : NPR
The 2024 edition of the Presidential Greatness Project Expert Survey has Biden in 14th place, just ahead of Woodrow Wilson and Ronald Reagan. Trump comes in 45th, behind fellow impeachee Andrew Johnson and James Buchanan, the perennial cellar-dweller in such ratings due to his pre-Civil War leadership.
"Infuriating": Kayleigh McEnany fumes after historians rank Trump "dead last" in president survey | Salon.com
She is a former Trump White House press secretary.
“A new ranking — and I’m going to add, in my view a highly questionable ranking — of presidents is turning heads after Biden came in higher than both Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan,” McEnany told Fox News viewers on Monday.

“The survey was done by the Presidential Greatness Project, who claim to be the foremost organization of social science experts in presidential politics. They may be the foremost example of the disconnect between ivory tower academia and real people,” McEnany said. “That aside, Abe Lincoln ranked first, okay, fair, then comes Obama at seventh and Biden came in fourteenth, actually beating Ronald Reagan who came in sixteenth, and Trump, dead last."

“This is infuriating in so many ways. 154 respondents, they are the ivory tower elites, who in no way represent the view of the American people,” McEnany added.
Aaron Rupar on X: ""This is infuriating in so many ways" -- Kayleigh McEnany is big mad about Trump being ranked as the worst president in history (vid link)" / X
So satisfying to get under a Trumpie's skin.

Presidential experts rank Biden 14th among presidents in survey, Trump comes in last | The Hill
Biden was placed ahead of Woodrow Wilson, Ronald Reagan and Ulysses S. Grant. Former President Obama was ranked No. 7, eight spots higher than when the experts were polled last year.

Trump received the lowest ranking in the survey at 45th, placing below James Buchanan at 44th, Andrew Johnson at 43rd, Franklin Pierce at 42nd and William Henry Harrison at 41st.
Partisan and ideological differences did not “tend to make a major difference overall”.
  • Democrats: Obama 6, Biden 13
  • Republicans: Obama 15, Biden 30

"The primary purpose of this survey was to create a ranking of presidential greatness that covered all presidents from George Washington to Joe Biden. To do this, we asked respondents to rate each president on a scale of 0-100 for their overall greatness, with 0=failure, 50=average, and 100=great. We then averaged the ratings for each president and ranked them from highest average to lowest."

The three champions are Abe Lincoln, FD Roosevelt, and George Washington, with previous ratings switching the last two.

After a 10-point gap in ratings was Teddy Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, Harry Truman, Barack Obama, Dwight Eisenhower, LBJ, and JFK.

Rankers of all ideologies and party affiliations made Donald Trump one of the worst presidents, with only conservatives and Republicans ranking him any more than absolute last: 41 or 43 instead of 45.

Trump ratings: Overall: 10.92, Republican 31.38, Independent 13.96, Democratic 6.66, Conservative 26.76, Moderate 14.21, Liberal 6.97

The ratings are a more-or-less smooth curve between Teddy Roosevelt and Andrew Johnson, overall at 21.56, but they get big gaps: James Buchanan at 16.71 and Donald Trump at 10.92.

Partisanship and ideology did not affect very much the ratings of the other worst Presidents, and most other Presidents of more than a half-century ago.

Who to place on Mt. Rushmore alongside GW, TJ, AL, and TR?

FDR: 65.4%, BO 11%, and Dwight Eisenhower, James Madison, and JFK tied at 4% each.

Donald Trump is by far the most polarizing President, much more than such competition as Andrew Jackson, BO, and Ronald Reagan.

GW was the least polarizing President, with DE and AL not far behind.

Of underrated Presidents, Jimmy Carter was the winner, followed by Ulysses Simpson Grant and George Bush I, DE, LBJ, and Joe Biden.

I think that JC was fundamentally decent, but trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Of overrated Presidents, JFK was the winner, followed by RR, AJ, and Woodrow Wilson.

I agree on JFK. What's so great about him? I also fail to see what's so great about RR.

Buchanan stood aside as the South formed their little slavers only club. Arguably W was also worse, as they did a lot of shady stuff domestically (remember their scandal controlling Threat Color code?, demonizing people for questioning Iraq, Bill Maher, deficits, stem cell monopoly decision, remember W not being allowed to testify alone to the 9/11 Commission) and internationally (Afghanistan/Iraq), but I can say at least that W and the Neocons weren't doing stuff at the behest of another nation, stuff that wasn't in our best interests. W had the AIDS thing in Africa which was about the only thing that was positive that could be noted.

Buchanan stood aside as the South formed their little slavers only club. Arguably W was also worse, as they did a lot of shady stuff domestically (remember their scandal controlling Threat Color code?, demonizing people for questioning Iraq, Bill Maher, deficits, stem cell monopoly decision, remember W not being allowed to testify alone to the 9/11 Commission) and internationally (Afghanistan/Iraq), but I can say at least that W and the Neocons weren't doing stuff at the behest of another nation, stuff that wasn't in our best interests. W had the AIDS thing in Africa which was about the only thing that was positive that could be noted.
I am no fan of W, but he did help get Medicare Part D passed. Younger people may not realize the importance of this, but prior to Part D, people on Medicare didn't get any help paying for their prescription meds. I still remember some of my poor home health patients asking me which medication was the most important, since they couldn't afford to pay for all of them. That was beyond my role as a nurse, but sometimes you have to do what's needed to help people. Some of them owed hundreds of dollars to their pharmacies. That was back in the day when most pharmacies were family owned and some of them allowed poor people to run up some debt, knowing they'd probably never get reimbursed. So, I do give W credit, despite all of the terrible things that happened during his years in office, for at least helping older adults with the cost of their meds.

Biden has helped a lot more, as now many medications are free and the cost of insulin is very affordable, especially if one has Part D or an Advantage Plan. He's not given nearly as much credit as he deserves for a lot of things his administration has accomplished. People seem toe

W was certainly not the brightest bulb in the box, and he allowed himself to be manipulated by Cheney and company to start two very unnecessary wars, instead of trying to seek out and destroy the individuals who were responsible for 911.

Sorry I messed up that last post. I have no idea what I was going to add, after people seem toe....but you all probably got the point about W and Biden both helping decrease the cost of Rx. medications. :)

I just want to know where to get flagpole extenders -- adjustable tops for existing flagpoles -- so that the flag can be elevated another 10 or 15 feet on the day they announce that Trump's made it to hell at last.

I just want to know where to get flagpole extenders -- adjustable tops for existing flagpoles -- so that the flag can be elevated another 10 or 15 feet on the day they announce that Trump's made it to hell at last.

It is a joyous worldwide celebration in waiting, for sure.
Of course there will remain a element of Believers who will remain committed to the racism and fascism that are the hallmarks of the GQP, but without an embodied nexus of such evil, it will tend to disperse.
I hope he croaks the day after he loses the coming election.

It is a joyous worldwide celebration in waiting, for sure.
Of course there will remain a element of Believers who will remain committed to the racism and fascism that are the hallmarks of the GQP, but without an embodied nexus of such evil, it will tend to disperse.
I hope he croaks the day after he loses the coming election.
Then he’d be a martyr, and the assasination conspiracy theories would last for a century and possibly result in political violence. I just want convictions on all the felony counts, disgorgement of all his assets, and abandonment by all of his enablers, including family.

Personally, I would prefer to be fundraising to subsidize travel for any American Muslim to dance in the streets of jersey City when that glorious day happens.

Personally, I would prefer to be fundraising to subsidize travel for any American Muslim to dance in the streets of jersey City when that glorious day happens.
Why American Muslims in particular? Other than the leftist islamophilia, of course.

And besides, American Muslims seem to be hating the other guy more these days.

Muslims are not friends of Democrats or of liberals more generally.

Why American Muslims in particular? Other than the leftist islamophilia, of course.
No, just that and only that. There is no other reason to have US Muslims dance in Jersey City at Trump's death. Not even a cursory google search could provide any other context.

And just for the record, most Muslims I've worked with, met socially, even been neighbours with have been pretty chill. But I understand and respect that whatever outrage of the week pops into your facebook feed is far more factual and far more representative. You just seem to have that vibe.

Back
Top Bottom