• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Electric Vehicles (from Twitter idiot)

To notify a split thread.
It matters when your car rolls away, and you're asked at the inquest to explain why you didn't take the utterly trivial preventative step of applying the park brake.
I'm recalling four generations of driving vehicles with lots of drivers in my little corner of the world and it hasn't happened. People do do dumb things like leaving their cars while they're in drive or in neutral and there's an incident. Youtube is full of those videos. But that isn't the same thing.
I'm sure the judge will be most impressed that you can back up your dismissive attitude towards safety with a nice anecdote.
I'm sure I'll never be in front of a judge about such a thing.
So was everyone who has ended up in front of a judge about such a thing.
The bogeyman defense?

OMG! The regen brake was awesome for the big valley hill I needed to go down to get home from work in the snow. Wasn't perfect, but much less slipping thanks to the regen braking. I miss that the most. I saw a video on YouTube, however, that indicates some EVs don't indicate heavy regen with the brake lights.
AFIAK no car shows using the engine as a brake, whether it's storing the power or just wasting it. The thing is normally people doing that are maintaining speed, not appreciably slowing.

Tesla regen does appreciably slow the vehicle and engages the break lights.

Source: Owner of a Tesla.

My sister once quipped, “When people are tailgating me, I don’t tap the brakes. I downshift. Why give them any warning for their pop-quiz on follow distance?”

Manual shift cars since the history of the manufacture of cars have not used brake lights to indicate engine braking.

Only when there was a real chance the vehicle might roll away, like parking on a grade did we ever use the parking brake. This is easy stuff.
There's always a grade, unless you park in a puddle. You might not be able to see it, but it's always there, even if you live in Kansas.

The rainwater wouldn't run off if there wasn't a grade.

This is easy stuff.
It might just be a crown of the road, there need not be a grade along the road. Remember, many cities of the world are built on river deltas--and they're generally almost totally flat.

My wife was dog sitting at a home with a steep driveway. She used the parking brake even though the car was an automatic, which was the right thing to do. She forgot to remove the parking brake and drove the car home 25 miles. She could barely stop by the time she got home. Damn lucky she didn't start the car on fire.

Back
Top Bottom