• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Electric Vehicles (from Twitter idiot)

To notify a split thread.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Incoming rant.

I've been thinking (my first mistake). Considering that Elon is CEO aka the original money bag for Tesla which is an American auto maker leading the industry in EV and the only real competition for China on the EV front. I don't get all the hate outside of his stupid tweets. In fact our government seems to want to aid foreign car makers over Tesla with the EV tax credit rules. For what? To encourage climate initiatives? Wouldn't the best encouragement be to award the company doing it the best (an American one at that) so as to push the rest of the auto industry in the that direction? There are some Hybrids getting the Tax credit that are far less fuel efficient (like that god damned peace of shit Jeep Wrangler 4xe) while full electric vehicles like the Model X & Model S are left out entirely for silly reasons like price, weight and where the battery was manufactured. Like who gives a shit where the battery is manufactured if the aim is to lower emissions? What's the point in creating more American Jobs (around battery manufacturing) if the world is fucked? They should consider doing that later down the road or something. Right now we want as many people as possible (upper, middle & lower class) to purchase vehicles that are better for the environment (which technically the Jeep Wrangler 4xe is better than most ICE vehicles but still a piece of shit) .

End rant.

For the love of Talos the Jeep Wrangler 4xe can only go 49 Miles fully Electric with a range of 370 miles on gas at a OMFG 20mpg. That gets the EV tax credit. A tesla Model X and S have an all electric (no gas) range at an average 320 miles and they don't get the EV tax credit. Like...WTF?

Edit: It's an Electric Vehicle Tax Credit. ELECTRIC VEHICLE. o_O

For the love of Talos the Jeep Wrangler 4xe can only go 49 Miles fully Electric with a range of 370 miles on gas at a OMFG 20mpg. That gets the EV tax credit. A tesla Model X and S have an all electric (no gas) range at an average 320 miles and they don't get the EV tax credit. Like...WTF?

Edit: It's an Electric Vehicle Tax Credit. ELECTRIC VEHICLE. o_O
I was an uber-early hybrid adopter and got $0 back for my purchase of the 2000 Honda Insight, which got over 60 mpg lifetime... which included idling in the driving in the winter to defrost the windows or the battery not operating for the last several years of its 18 year life on the road. I'm not bitter (okay, yes I am). Granted, the car was only around $20k.

So yeah, tax credit policy can be a bit silly. Kind of like how you don't get a tax credit for making your home more energy efficient via more insulation, but you do if you don't make much of a change by putting in new windows.

Incoming rant.

I've been thinking (my first mistake). Considering that Elon is CEO aka the original money bag for Tesla which is an American auto maker leading the industry in EV and the only real competition for China on the EV front. I don't get all the hate outside of his stupid tweets.
Ok, I'll try to clarify.

First off, he didn't create Tesla, he came in after it was created, and I think forced out the founders. He doesn't give a shit about the environment or EVs, he cares about his fortune. So he got government investment early on, but works against the government investing in any other EV company. He produces expensive luxury EVs, rather than working to make them affordable and able to be a viable option for a lot of people. He keeps people interested with various vaporware, promising amazing things to come in the next couple years for investors, but somehow never materialize. (hyperloop, solar panel shingles, electric truck) He convinced states to not invest in high speed public trains, and instead invest in his projects that don't deliver. He tries to convince people he is Tony Stark, when he is more of a Trump, all show and little substance.

I've heard other car companies are starting to make decent EVs, and that the military is having EVs developed for the field. Now that will be a big help if the military can go electric for a lot of its vehicles.

Incoming rant.

I've been thinking (my first mistake). Considering that Elon is CEO aka the original money bag for Tesla which is an American auto maker leading the industry in EV and the only real competition for China on the EV front. I don't get all the hate outside of his stupid tweets.
Ok, I'll try to clarify.

First off, he didn't create Tesla, he came in after it was created, and I think forced out the founders. He doesn't give a shit about the environment or EVs, he cares about his fortune. So he got government investment early on, but works against the government investing in any other EV company. He produces expensive luxury EVs, rather than working to make them affordable and able to be a viable option for a lot of people. He keeps people interested with various vaporware, promising amazing things to come in the next couple years for investors, but somehow never materialize. (hyperloop, solar panel shingles, electric truck) He convinced states to not invest in high speed public trains, and instead invest in his projects that don't deliver. He tries to convince people he is Tony Stark, when he is more of a Trump, all show and little substance.

I've heard other car companies are starting to make decent EVs, and that the military is having EVs developed for the field. Now that will be a big help if the military can go electric for a lot of its vehicles.

Three questions, Where did I say he created Tesla? & Despite everything else you said, what American auto manufacture is ahead if not at least close to Tesla in the EV market, charging Network and Tesla's Ludacris cruise control? Which American automaker is performing better than Tesla's offering towards lowering emissions? Because that's what I'm talking about. Not that WE LOVE ELON or ANTI ELON bullshit everyone else is talking about. sure he says a lot of stupid shit and makes promises he can't keep. What does that have to do with what Tesla offers and how the EV (ELECTRIC VEHICLE) tax credit puts a piece of shit like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe over any Tesla.

This is what baffles me in regards to the EV tax credit. I could care less about Elon but judging by what his investments have done so far in the efforts to combat Climate Change they seem to be a step in the right direction.

Incoming rant.

Ok, I'll try to clarify.

Three questions, Where did I say he created Tesla? & Despite everything else you said, what American auto manufacture is ahead if not at least close to Tesla in the EV market, charging Network and Tesla's Ludacris cruise control? Which American automaker is performing better than Tesla's offering towards lowering emissions? Because that's what I'm talking about. Not that WE LOVE ELON or ANTI ELON bullshit everyone else is talking about. sure he says a lot of stupid shit and makes promises he can't keep. What does that have to do with what Tesla offers and how the EV (ELECTRIC VEHICLE) tax credit puts a piece of shit like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe over any Tesla.

This is what baffles me in regards to the EV tax credit. I could care less about Elon but judging by what his investments have done so far in the efforts to combat Climate Change they seem to be a step in the right direction.
All things equal, I don't think EV is helping the environment much. Certainly cornering the market on $100,000 EVs is also an achievement, but not particularly useful for the average Joe. Yes, he sells cheaper ones, but you can't go on vacation in them.

Three questions, Where did I say he created Tesla?
My apology. From the statement "Considering that Elon is CEO aka the original money bag for Tesla" it seemed to imply the impression that he was responsible for creating Tesla.

As for the rest, any success of Tesla seems to be at least somewhat in spite of Elon's control, rather than because of his actions. He was good at getting government money for it, which is good. But his tendency to overpromise, and spend time and money on his other projects rather than making Tesla an even better, seems to hamper the company. I WANT Tesla to be a leader in EVs, to make them common. As it is his actions with the company are not helping. And the shit-show that is his managing of Twitter, is undermining confidence in Tesla (plus his huge stock dumps to pay for his Twitter habit caused drops in the Tesla stock)

but you can't go on vacation in them.

If you're driving from America to Japan sure.

Edit: Tesla Super Chargers
Untitled.png

But if you rather not lower emissions because you have to stop every 200 miles for 15 minutes; more power to you. Just don't bitch about the climate.

Regarding the emissions during the battery manufacturing process; Tesla needs to stop hiding info and be transparent. Yeah gas guzzling shmucks addicted to petrol will twist the data and spread bullshit across the globe. But as a result of that secrecy I have to talk out of my ass on this. I'm gonna make the wild guess that emissions are less than the production, transport and burning of petrol. This includes the power consumed on the grid as most power companies (EV's get their charges from) use Nuclear or Natural Gas that both produce less carbon emissions than petrol all while petrol emission don't stop after manufactured. They continue down every street across America for the life of the vehicle.

But I'm talking out of my ass. :cool:

BTW I meant natural Gas and Coal as the main sources of electrical power in the us that EV's use to refuel. better than petrol in my opinion. Again Tesla needs to release their data in full.

View attachment 41807

But if you rather not lower emissions because you have to stop every 200 miles for 15 minutes; more power to you. Just don't bitch about thr climate.
You don't charge 15 mins for 200 miles in a $35k Tesla. I don't give a fuck what a car that costs 6 digits can do.

View attachment 41807

But if you rather not lower emissions because you have to stop every 200 miles for 15 minutes; more power to you. Just don't bitch about the climate.

Regarding the emissions during the battery manufacturing process; Tesla needs to stop hiding info and be transparent. Yeah gas guzzling shmucks addicted to petrol will twist the data and spread bullshit across the globe. But as a result of that secrecy I have to talk out of my ass on this. I'm gonna make the wild guess that emissions are less than the production, transport and burning of petrol. This includes the power consumed on the grid as most power companies (EV's get their charges from) use Nuclear or Natural Gas that both produce less carbon emissions than petrol all while petrol emission don't stop after manufactured. They continue down every street across America for the life of the vehicle.

Observation: I hike. I see no charging stations between stuff near home and any of my common hiking areas.

View attachment 41807

Observation: I hike. I see no charging stations between stuff near home and any of my common hiking areas.

That's just Tesla Super chargers. It does not include chargers from other companies and many US national parks have charging spaces from other companies available on site. Just look up the place you hike at and then search EV charging. Likely something is available.

You don't charge 15 mins for 200 miles in a $35k Tesla.

Ok 15 minutes was hella optimistic on my part. :ROFLMAO: Depending on the distance between chargers & speed of the charger the charge can take up to 45 minutes. There are a lot more stops for an EV than for an ICE vehicle as well. I'll tell you what though, I drove to and from NC/FL and thanks to advanced auto pilot (not Ludacris Cruise Control™) the drive was 80% more manageable to me. Between that and zero emissions, I'll take the occasional 45 minute charge and extra stops.

I don't give a fuck what a car that costs 6 digits can do.

Thanks for sharing?

Ok 15 minutes was hella optimistic on my part. :ROFLMAO: Depending on the distance between chargers & speed of the charger the charge can take up to 45 minutes. There are a lot more stops for an EV than for an ICE vehicle as well. I'll tell you what though, I drove to and from NC/FL and thanks to advanced auto pilot (not Ludacris Cruise Control™) the drive was 80% more manageable to me. Between that and zero emissions, I'll take the occasional 45 minute charge and extra stops.

Thanks for sharing?
Yes there is zero emissions AS YOU DRIVE. There are still emissions generated from using the electricity to charge up from coal fired power plants. There are emissions to make the car and the lithium for the battery is mined somewhere - usually 3rd world countries that have little to no environmental controls. Thankfully there is recycling of the lithium car batteries now once your all done with the vehicle.

Thanks for sharing?
Yes there is zero emissions AS YOU DRIVE. There are still emissions generated from using the electricity to charge up from coal fired power plants. There are emissions to make the car and the lithium for the battery is mined somewhere - usually 3rd world countries that have little to no environmental controls. Thankfully there is recycling of the lithium car batteries now once your all done with the vehicle.

There is emissions from making all cars. I really wish Tesla would release all the info on emissions from battery manufacturing because I have a hunch (while the ideal to me is zero emissions) overall it will prove to be less of an impact on the environment than manufacturing & then operating an ICE vehicle throughout its life cycle.

Thanks for sharing?

There is emissions from making all cars. I really wish Tesla would release all the info on emissions from battery manufacturing because I have a hunch (while the ideal to me is zero emissions) overall it will prove to be less of an impact on the environment than manufacturing & then operating an ICE vehicle throughout its life cycle.
A Tesla is a status symbol; expensive and impractical. It’s not about saving the environment.

Thanks for sharing?

A Tesla is a status symbol; expensive and impractical. It’s not about saving the environment.

I guess it can be seen that way.

That's just Tesla Super chargers. It does not include chargers from other companies and many US national parks have charging spaces from other companies available on site. Just look up the place you hike at and then search EV charging. Likely something is available.
I see one high power plug in an RV park, that's it.

Back
Top Bottom