• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Elizabeth II has died

The king and queen do not hold any real power do they?
Pragmatically, it is a fairly limited power, somewhat equivalent to that of the Vice President in the United States. Technically, the monarch is woven into British Law in many and complex ways; they hold many powers on paper (vellum?) that would cause considerable controversy if they tried to exercise them in a manner not approved by the Parliament. For instance, the Queen has Right of Royal Assent over any Act passed by the Parliament and could in theory withhold that assent, but no British monarch has dared to try and use this implied veto power in more than three centuries, so it is effectively a rubber-stamp affair. Socially, they hold a key position within the British aristocracy and can be quite influential on matters not directly political in nature.
The last monarch to assert his primacy over parliament had his head chooped off for his trouble.
It was Queen Anne, actually, and she died of obesity and depression, not truncuation. Dismal life, either way.

Elizabeth II lists what she is sovereign over. I've reordered the list by the end of her reign, then by either the beginning of her reign (1952*) or by the beginning of the territory's independence from colonial status.
[ LIST]
This list is incomplete. Is the Isle of Man technically part of the U.K.? I won't waste a Wiki to find out, but Jersey and Guernsey are surely missing from the list. AFAIK some such bailiwicks are NOT part of the U.K. (though they presumably have very generous trade agreements), but rather adhere to Her Majesty in her capacity as Duke of Normandy.

The monarchy in question has been around for 1,094 years.

More like 361, surely? The Cromwells were no kings.
The royalists claim unbroken succession from Charles I to Charles II. That he was in exile and his kingdom under the rule of the Lord Protectors doesn't change his status as king, at least in the view of his supporters.
Fanciful, if you ask me. A king with no crown isn't a king either. The UK is really keen on pretending that all of their civil wars, usurpations, and foreign invasions were temporary diversions guided by divine providence or what have you, but I don't get why we all play along with the game. The declaration of a monarchy inevitably invites strife and violence.
That's what monarchy is. It's not 'playing along with the game', it's recognising what we are looking at.

It's also undeniable that both Charles I and Charles II were king; And that they were father and son. So even if you exclude the Commonwealth from the duration of the monarchy (which is reasonable enough), you cannot say that it started in 1660. You could reasonably subtract the period 1649-1660, or even 1642-1660, and you could also reasonably start counting the 'current monarchy' from 1066, 1487, or even 1688, rather than from the 890s. But it's certainly true that the monarchy as an institution (though not as a continuous dynasty) has existed, with only brief interruptions (the largest of which was the Wars of the Three Kingdoms and subsequent Commonwealth) for in the order of 1,000 years.

The royalists claim unbroken succession from Charles I to Charles II. That he was in exile and his kingdom under the rule of the Lord Protectors doesn't change his status as king, at least in the view of his supporters.
Fanciful, if you ask me. A king with no crown isn't a king either. The UK is really keen on pretending that all of their civil wars, usurpations, and foreign invasions were temporary diversions guided by divine providence or what have you, but I don't get why we all play along with the game. The declaration of a monarchy inevitably invites strife and violence.
That's what monarchy is. It's not 'playing along with the game', it's recognising what we are looking at.

It's also undeniable that both Charles I and Charles II were king; And that they were father and son. So even if you exclude the Commonwealth from the duration of the monarchy (which is reasonable enough), you cannot say that it started in 1660. You could reasonably subtract the period 1649-1660, or even 1642-1660, and you could also reasonably start counting the 'current monarchy' from 1066, 1487, or even 1688, rather than from the 890s. But it's certainly true that the monarchy as an institution (though not as a continuous dynasty) has existed, with only brief interruptions (the largest of which was the Wars of the Three Kingdoms and subsequent Commonwealth) for in the order of 1,000 years.
Not every British monarch has been the offspring of their predecessor, though. I feel like trying to make characterizing since Athelstan as having had same throne, governing over the same nation, is wallpapering over the simple fact that monarchy is inherently an unstable and unsustainable political system that breaks and causes horrific loss of life on a regular basis.

Not every British monarch has been the offspring of their predecessor, though. I feel like trying to make characterizing since Athelstan as having had same throne, governing over the same nation, is wallpapering over the simple fact that monarchy is inherently an unstable and unsustainable political system that breaks and causes horrific loss of life on a regular basis.
I don't think it is wallpapering over the cracks; If it's an attempt to, it's failing, because it's obvious that, as a system, monarchy sucks in direct proportion to the power wielded by the monarch.

England as a political entity has existed since Æthelstan, with several breaks in the succession of monarchs, and at least a couple of periods without monarchs at all (the civil war between Stephen and Mathilda probably counts, as nobody was quite sure who was meant to be in charge; And the C17th Commonweath obviously counts here). But the political entity has remained, despite discontinuities in the lineage of the monarch.

Elizabeth I would likely view Elizabeth II as having been completely stripped of her throne in all but name. Yet II sees herself as the clear successor of I. I suspect both would be right.

I remember once getting into an argument with someone over whether "crowned republic" would be a good term for a nation that is a nominal monarchy but that operates for the most part like a republic.

That was provoked by me mentioning John Adams's book John Adams: Defence of the Constitutions, 1787 He became President in 1796, joining the club of President-scholars that includes Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Herbert Hoover, and Barack Obama. JA discussed "democratical republics", "aristocratical republics" and "monarchical republics".

"Monarchical republic" may seem like a contradiction in terms, but his examples, Britain and Poland, were what we now call constitutional monarchies, monarchies with strong republican elements.

Abolition of monarchy - Monarchy has been in a steep decline. Before recent centuries, nearly every nation-state was a monarchy, and some monarchies were very long-lived, even if not very continuous, like the Pharaonic and Chinese monarchies. Some republics became monarchies, like the Roman Republic and the Dutch Republic, with the stadholder becoming a de facto monarch.

Making the US a republic was a very daring move, and it helped that George Washington didn't want to make himself King George I. France became a republic in its big revolution, but it did so by chopping off the king's head. The revolutionaries squabbled and reorganized and chopped off a lot of other people's heads, and they became a bad advertisement for republicanism. As a result, nation-builders in European nations wanted monarchs for their new nations. Holland, Belgium, Norway, Italy, Serbia, Albania, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria.

This trend was interrupted by World War I, a war which got in the way of an aristocrat going to Finland and becoming that nation's monarch. That war also ended four big monarchies, both directly and indirectly, the Prussian/German one, the Austrian one, the Russian one, and the Ottoman one. Most of the nations that emerged from that war had no monarch, though Hungary didn't have one because Hungarians were split on whether to have a Habsburg or a local aristocrat as monarch.

European monarchs in Italy and Greece fell from association with disliked dictators, and those of Bulgaria, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Albania fell from Communist takeovers.

Looking elsewhere in the world, when most of Latin America became independent in the early 19th cy., the revolutionaries chose republics for their new nations, with the exception of Brazil. That nation's monarchy fell late in that century.

Most of the nations that became independent in post-WWII decolonization became independent as republics, with the exception of Middle Eastern and North African nations. But some of those nations also became republics.

Only a few monarchies have been restored, notably those of Spain and Cambodia.

The most recent monarchy to fall is Nepal's, in 2008, as opposed to declaring independence from some monarch, like Barbados most recently.

List of countries by system of government - here are those that have locally-based monarchs:
  • Absolute: Brunei, Eswatini (Swaziland), Oman, Saudi Arabia, (Vatican City)
  • Constitutional, active: Bahrain, Bhutan, Jordan, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Morocco, Qatar, Tonga, United Arab Emirates
  • Constitutional, ceremonial: Belgium, Cambodia, Denmark, Japan, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Thailand
I put Vatican City in parentheses because the Pope is a sort of President-for-life who has no necessary ties with any royal or aristocratic family. In my mind, Vatican City is more like a republic than a monarchy.

The last monarch to assert his primacy over parliament had his head chooped off for his trouble.
It was Queen Anne, actually, and she died of obesity and depression, not truncuation. Dismal life, either way.
I'd have said James II & VII, who made war on Parliament's forces and got his ass handed to him at the Battle of the Boyne, but escaped with his life and died in exile of natural causes. What did Anne do that you regard as asserting her primacy over Parliament? Veto a bill? Nobody at the time regarded that as a constitutional crisis. U.S. Presidents veto Congressional bills all the time; who perceives that as Presidential primacy over Congress? It's just separation of powers. It looks to me like Anne was simply exercising her constitutional role at a time when the respective authorities of Monarch and Parliament were still evolving.

Monarchies are gradually disappearing | The Week - February 3, 2020 - The slow decline of royal families
When Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, announced their decision to step away as senior royals and strike out on their own, the British royal family joined the ranks of other royal families facing a changing reality. Months before Harry and Meghan reached their compromise with Queen Elizabeth II, the Swedish royal family had stripped certain family members of royal titles and cut them from the royal payroll. Meanwhile in Spain, members of the royal family have been removed from the succession after receiving prison sentences for corruption and tax fraud. And in Japan, the future of the royal family is in peril because of outdated succession laws that discriminate against its female members.

The key to a monarchy's survival is its ability to adapt to the changes of the times. ... Because at the back of the mind of each king and queen, regardless of their powers being constitutional or absolute, lies the knowledge that in a world that is becoming increasingly democratic, there is always the option of a republic.
It must be noted that some nations have gone in the direction of becoming monarchies. "Baby Doc" succeeding his father "Papa Doc" in Haiti, Bashar Assad succeeding his father Hafez in Syria, and Saddam Hussein of Iraq and Muammar Khadafy of Libya wanting to be succeeded by one of their children. The biggest example is, I think, North Korea, which is in its third generation of its ruling family.

I'd have said James II & VII, who made war on Parliament's forces and got his ass handed to him at the Battle of the Boyne, but escaped with his life and died in exile of natural causes. What did Anne do that you regard as asserting her primacy over Parliament? Veto a bill? Nobody at the time regarded that as a constitutional crisis. U.S. Presidents veto Congressional bills all the time; who perceives that as Presidential primacy over Congress? It's just separation of powers. It looks to me like Anne was simply exercising her constitutional role at a time when the respective authorities of Monarch and Parliament were still evolving.
She's the last person to have used the power I described in my post. No, it wasn't a crisis, let alone a beheading.

Buckingham Palace Gave an Update on Queen Elizabeth's Health Following Her Hospitalization
Following a brief stint at the hospital for "preliminary investigations" earlier this month, Queen Elizabeth has been advised by doctors to continue to take it easy.

Buckingham Palace announced yesterday that the 95-year-old monarch will cut back on in-person engagements and undertake a lighter workload from home. ... In addition to plenty of rest, she's been given doctor's orders to stop horseback riding and to give up her daily gin martinis.

Despite the recent lifestyle changes, the Queen is reportedly in good spirits — according to U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson. "I spoke to Her Majesty and she's on very good form," he told Channel 4 News in Rome. "She's just got to follow the advice of her doctors and get some rest and I think that's the important thing. I think the whole country wishes her well."
Queen Elizabeth II's 2021 Hospital Stay: Everything We Know - US magazine

Vlogger Lindsay Holiday has vlogged on which European monarchs might be next to go.
She rated them on:
  1. Popularity of the Monarch
  2. Popularity of the Royal Family
  3. Cost to Taxpayers
  4. Historic Significance
  5. Happiness of the Populace
  6. Roadblocks to Change
Higher numbers are better for the continuation of the monarchy. More expensive royal families get lower numbers, for instance. Roadblocks to change refers to political and institutional barriers that may exist.

WhatPopMonPopFamCstTaxHstSgnHapPopRbkChgTotal
(Maximum)22223112
Denmark22223011
Luxembourg2211309
Liechtenstein1122219
Sweden1122208
Norway2102308
Monaco1002216
Netherlands1201206
Belgium2120005
UK1101115
Spain1020014

Anti-monarchist organizations:

As far as I can tell, they want parliamentary republics, like Finland, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, and Switzerland, not one with a US-style Presidency or a France-style one.

I kind of wish the US had a parliamentary system! It's a more functional model. Though all governments drift back toward the same compromised mean eventually.

While Prince Charles steps up to welcome world leaders to the Cop26 climate summit next week, the Queen will appear in a recorded video from Windsor to address delegates in Glasgow. It could well be a defining moment.

With the Queen’s advanced years, there has been a gradual devolving of some of the more arduous public engagements to younger members of the royal family. The Duke of Edinburgh’s death in April at 99 and the Queen’s recent cancellation of public engagements to rest on medical advice after undisclosed tests, which necessitated an overnight hospital stay, have focused attention on the inevitable transition – and what it entails.

Buckingham Palace announced on Friday that she had been advised by doctors to rest for at least the next two weeks and refrain from undertaking any official visits. She will be restricted to light duties only, including some virtual audiences.

Fewer engagements and more time spent at Windsor Castle seem likely in the future. She prefers it there, and it’s where she keeps budgerigars.
She is now 95 years old. She has been slowing down over recent years and other royals have been doing more of what she does, like Prince Charles and Prince William, ages 72 and 39.

Some earlier threads:

Yeah, what is Great Britain to do now when their most expensive social welfare recepient isn't feeling well? How is the country supposed to manage to keep going on now when she's stopped doing the job she doesn't have. It'd be a true tragedy if Prince Charles had to jump in and take over the reigns. Let us pray he's as capable of not having a job as well as his mother. Or perhaps he will make a break in the family tradition and make something of himself. Perhaps he'll be the first of his family who finds a way to support his famiily?

God bless the queen.

"It'd be a true tragedy if Prince Charles had to jump in and take over the reigns."

I see what you did there :)

Yeah, what is Great Britain to do now when their most expensive social welfare recepient isn't feeling well? How is the country supposed to manage to keep going on now when she's stopped doing the job she doesn't have. It'd be a true tragedy if Prince Charles had to jump in and take over the reigns. Let us pray he's as capable of not having a job as well as his mother. Or perhaps he will make a break in the family tradition and make something of himself. Perhaps he'll be the first of his family who finds a way to support his famiily?

God bless the queen.
It seems to me anybody who gets a guaranteed weekly one-on-one meeting with Boris Johnson has a great deal more political power than the average Briton. All the more so since he can't replace her for disagreeing with him and is barred by protocol from putting on headphones and listening to his audiobook during their meetings. Unless she's using their private tete-a-tetes to discuss her concerns over the Buckingham Palace china, a person with that much power cannot reasonably be described as not having a job. You might as well claim our National Security Adviser doesn't have a job on account of Mr. Biden being free to disregard his input.

Monarchy is the tip of the aristocratic iceberg, and aristocracy essentially lost its raison d'être with high speed communications.

Even if a king is deemed necessary, the modern world has little purpose for Dukes, Marquesses, Earls, Viscounts or Barons. Yet these (and the various ranks of Bishops) still carry huge weight in the UK, both as members of parliament (though their influence there has been sharply reduced in recent years) and as hugely wealthy landowners, who still own between them a very significant fraction of the land.

It's arguably more useful and less damaging to the system to eliminate these archaic hangers-on than it would be to remove the monarch - although obviously there's no reason not to do both.

Back
Top Bottom