• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ending Daylight Savings Time? Making It Permanent?

I have over 20 clocks in my home and automobile, half of them I have no idea how to set them unless I research the instructions. Here are the instructions to set JUST ONE of my LED clocks. And without these instructions I would have little chance of changing the time:

Display mode selection
# The LED has three display modes. You can select different display modes by pressing the ^ button. There are three types: DP-1, DP2, and DP3.
#DP1 display mode: time display is 10 seconds, date is diplayed for 2 seconds, temperature is displayed for 2 seconds, and cycle is switched
#DP2 display mode: display time all the time, no conversion, when you press SET button to switch to any display item, it will always be display item, it will always be displayed in the item.
#DP3 display mode: When the time is displayed, press SET to switch to any display item.

Time, calendar settings
#In the time display mode, long press SET button for more than 3 seconds, it will enter the time setting mode. In the calendar display mode, long press the SET button for more than 3 seconds, the calendar setting will be entererd. In the setting mode, the content of the setting item will be The flashing display prompts, press the ^ or> button to set the value, long press the ^ or > button to quickly adjust the number. In the setting mode, press the SET button to the next item.

It literally takes me nearly 45 min just to reset this clock alone but the next clock I go to has a completely different system of software. With all the real issues this world has to overcome, one really does wonder why we have to make another problem for ourselves by not leaving the fucking time alone. If you add up all the man hours of everyone else resetting all the clocks it would surely have to be a considerable waste of productive hours of our life we will never get back.

As far as whether the sun rises when I do I could care less. Just get off my grass and leave my time alone!

I despise DST. I've read articles that explain why it's not good for our health, but I don't have a handy link right now. I'm an early bird, so I like going to bed when it's been dark for awhile and getting up when it's light. It serves no practical purpose and I'm still having a hard time adjusting. Get rid of DST. It's a demonic plot. 😈

I had a friendly argument with a good friend who loves DST yesterday. She told me it makes the day go faster. Really? And, why would we older adults want the day to go faster, when age already changes the perception of time?

Why anyone should cause themself so much anxiety of DST is beyond me. If a clock can’t adjust itself, I’ve no use for it. Actually, I have no use for any of them as my phone is always with me. The microwave I can turn off and I do. The oven I’ll change because it takes less than ten seconds. My truck so I don’t inadvertently rely on it. It only goes forward in time. Not back. Probably made by the same folks who build odometers. So springing forward is a piece of cake. Falling back, I have to go all the way around again. It’s awful. Oh the humanity. And don’t even get me started on people who still wear watches. You’re just looking for trouble.

I have over 20 clocks in my home and automobile, half of them I have no idea how to set them unless I research the instructions. Here are the instructions to set JUST ONE of my LED clocks. And without these instructions I would have little chance of changing the time:

Display mode selection
# The LED has three display modes. You can select different display modes by pressing the ^ button. There are three types: DP-1, DP2, and DP3.
#DP1 display mode: time display is 10 seconds, date is diplayed for 2 seconds, temperature is displayed for 2 seconds, and cycle is switched
#DP2 display mode: display time all the time, no conversion, when you press SET button to switch to any display item, it will always be display item, it will always be displayed in the item.
#DP3 display mode: When the time is displayed, press SET to switch to any display item.

Time, calendar settings
#In the time display mode, long press SET button for more than 3 seconds, it will enter the time setting mode. In the calendar display mode, long press the SET button for more than 3 seconds, the calendar setting will be entererd. In the setting mode, the content of the setting item will be The flashing display prompts, press the ^ or> button to set the value, long press the ^ or > button to quickly adjust the number. In the setting mode, press the SET button to the next item.

It literally takes me nearly 45 min just to reset this clock alone but the next clock I go to has a completely different system of software. With all the real issues this world has to overcome, one really does wonder why we have to make another problem for ourselves by not leaving the fucking time alone. If you add up all the man hours of everyone else resetting all the clocks it would surely have to be a considerable waste of productive hours of our life we will never get back.

As far as whether the sun rises when I do I could care less. Just get off my grass and leave my time alone!
Wow. I thought I was a clock guy. One in every room. I hate most digital clocks, KISS principle. Give me an old 31 day clock, I like the sound and don't mind winding them.

Display mode selection

Time, calendar settings

Really? You have that much trouble changing a clock?

I thought I was old and cranky….

I despise DST. I've read articles that explain why it's not good for our health, but I don't have a handy link right now. I'm an early bird, so I like going to bed when it's been dark for awhile and getting up when it's light. It serves no practical purpose and I'm still having a hard time adjusting. Get rid of DST. It's a demonic plot. 😈

I had a friendly argument with a good friend who loves DST yesterday. She told me it makes the day go faster. Really? And, why would we older adults want the day to go faster, when age already changes the perception of time?
I'm definitely more sensitive to the DST change than I was when I was younger. I'm with you. I hate being 'awakened' by an alarm clock. Prefer the sunrise.

The idea that DST is ‘bad for our health’ is nonsense. We evolved to live in a world where the number of daylight ours changes with the seasons in a predictable manner.

What we do with regards to marking time is a societal choice.

Not anticipating the change and making small changes to your routine—over a Saturday night, no less, is a personal choice.

Change is hard, for certain but we choose to make it harder on ourselves than needs be. Or we choose to embrace change.

The idea that DST is ‘bad for our health’ is nonsense. We evolved to live in a world where the number of daylight ours changes with the seasons in a predictable manner.

Not anticipating the change and making small changes to your routine—over a Saturday night, no less, is a personal choice.

Change is hard, for certain but we choose to make it harder on ourselves than needs be. Or we choose to embrace change.
Actually there is evidence that it is NOT good for us.

How?

And by ‘us’ you mean a subset of people. It’s GREAT for me and was even more terrifying fix while I was still working a paid job: DST meant I had more time to be outside in the daylight after work. This is extremely good for me.

Clocks may be bad for us. Or rigid adherence to clock time.

It’s just the earth moving around the sun on a tilted axis meaning that daylight is longer in the summer and shorter in the winter.

And by ‘us’ you mean a subset of people. It’s GREAT for me and was even more terrifying fix while I was still working a paid job: DST meant I had more time to be outside in the daylight after work. This is extremely good for me.
Me too.
My shop hours were 10-6. I enjoyed having a little more sunlight after work.
Not a big deal, but I liked it.
Tom

How?

It’s just the earth moving around the sun on a tilted axis meaning that daylight is longer in the summer and shorter in the winter.
…..was even more terrific. Stupid auto correct.

I've never felt any ill effect from time changes or long distance air travel for that matter. Hell, once I flew from the Philippines to the states on my birthday. Now you'd think having two birthdays back to back like that would really wear a person out but not me. Those hobbit seats on the airplanes, that wore me out.
And sunrise? Alarm clocks? I wish. I'd have to sit around for three hour to see the sun finally rise. I start my first nap just before sunrise.

How?

…..was even more terrific. Stupid auto correct.
Don't worry about auto correct. It messes with me all the time. I'm linking an article from John Hopkins that explains the health risks. Regardless, I hate fucking DST and it takes me a long time to adjust!

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2023/7-things-to-know-about-daylight-saving-time

Surveys from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) have found that about 63% of Americanswould prefer to eliminate DST, and 55% experience tiredness following the switch. But the time transition does more than just inspire mixed opinions, grogginess, and foul moods. Researchers say that the change has long-term negative consequences for our bodies and minds.

Here are 7 things we’ve learned about how changing to daylight saving time affects our lives.

MAKING THE SHIFT CAN INCREASE YOUR HEALTH RISKS.

“The scientific evidence points to acute increases in adverse health consequences from changing the clocks, including in heart attack and stroke,” says sleep expert Adam Spira, PhD, MA, a professor in Mental Health.

The change is also associated with a heightened risk of mood disturbances and hospital admissions, as well as elevated production of inflammatory markers in response to stress. The potential for car crashes also spikes just after the spring forward, Spira says; a 2020 study found that the switch raises the risk of fatal traffic accidents by 6%.

DST WAS ENACTED TO CONSERVE ENERGY—BUT TODAY IT MAY DO THE OPPOSITE.

Benjamin Franklin invented the concept in 1784, believing that rising earlier would economize candle usage and save people money. Pushing clocks forward to make greater use of daylight during the warmer months was formally adopted during World War I as part of a global attempt to conserve energy.

That rationale is part of what keeps DST in practice, but the theory is wobbly, according to research like this 2017 paper published in the International Association for Energy Economics Journal. As society has evolved, lighting accounts for less overall energy consumption. Rather, extending the use of daylight hours encourages people to use more air conditioning and heating.

Other proponents say the additional daylight in the evening hours during spring and summer are beneficial to the mental health of those who work during the day. That, too, has been refuted—data from a 2020 study published in PLOS suggests that the change exacerbates mood disorders, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse.

MORE AFTER-WORK SUNSHINE DOESN’T NECESSARILY MEAN A HEALTHIER YOU.

Sunlight is the most powerful synchronizer of our circadian rhythms—the internally generated clocks our bodies follow. Spira says while it’s advantageous to have more time for outdoor activities in the evening, “exposure to more light closer to bedtime makes it harder to fall asleep at our usual bedtime, and can reduce the amount of sleep we’re able to get each night.”

We also lose light in the morning, leaving many of us waking up in the dark. That’s bad, Spira says, because exposure to light in the morning has an alerting effect and helps us maintain a strong circadian rhythm.

“We function best when our sleep-wake cycle follows the sun. We get sleepy, due in part to melatonin release, when it gets dark. In the spring, when we switch to daylight saving time, we increase the amount of light we’re exposed to in the evening hours.”

LESS SLEEP MEANS MORE HEALTH RISKS.

Moving the clocks forward in the spring results in going to sleep and waking up before our internal clocks are ready for us to. This misalignment lasts for the duration of DST, Spira says, and can reduce the amount of sleep we’re able to get, to the detriment of our health.

“The consequences of insufficient sleep include decreases in cardiovascular health, increases in diabetes and obesity, poorer mental health, lower cognitive performance, and an increase in the risk of motor vehicle accidents,” he says.

FOR CERTAIN GROUPS, THESE TIME CHANGES HAVE A GREATER NEGATIVE HEALTH IMPACT.

Populations living on the western edges of time zones—who get light later in the morning and evening—and people with little control over their schedules, such as shift workers who drive to work very early, are more at risk for misalignment.

Adolescents who get less sleep often have behavioral, learning, and attention issues, as well as an increased risk of accidents, injuries, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, and mental health problems. A2015 study published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine found that during school days after the time change, students were sleepier, had slower reaction times, and were less attentive.

DST COULD BECOME PERMANENT.

There has been some buzz in recent years about transitioning to permanent DST through the Sunshine Protection Act, but Spira is in favor of permanent standard time.

“The Sunshine Protection Act would result in permanent misalignment of our internal clocks with the time on our social clocks—the clocks on our walls, wrists, and phones. That would be bad for the health of the U.S. population.”

There's more info in the link, so I'm not convinced that DST isn't bad for my health. I don't think it was as difficult when I was younger, but it really messes me and Mr. SH up!

I strongly favore permanent standard time, as do the majority, according to the article.

How?

Here's an article that suggests fatal car crashes increase by 6% after we Spring forward:

Here's one that discusses an uptick in heart attacks and sleep problems:

But the effects go beyond simple inconvenience. Researchers are discovering that "springing ahead" each March is connected with serious negative health effects, including an uptick in heart attacks and teen sleep deprivation. In contrast, the fall transition back to standard time is not associated with these health effects, as my co-authors and I explained in a 2020 commentary.

So it's literally killing people every year.

I don't feel the physical effects as much as I used to, but it's definitely a pain re-orienting my kids into their routine twice a year.

Over 50 years ago,
Bringing in DST was an issue. My dad didn't want it.
He didn't want it, because it was hard enough to get the kids to bed as it was.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom