• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

exceptionally unsettling fundy experience

Genesis 2:17 said:
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Obviously to leave this issue in the scriptures would contradict the purpose of Adam and Eve to have offspring. Why leave such a verse IF that was what the verse meant?

Hi Learner!

A suitable answer is that for Jews, the Bible — meaning their specific sacred texts — is a puzzle to be solved. This verse is one of many that show their God is deceptive on occasion. And why not? Frankly, it's not for humans to tell gods what attributes they can have. Besides, disallowing deception would mean humans have an ability that God lacks. That can't be right. Empty threats are useful. Ask any parent who spent time last month finding new hiding places for their elf on the shelf.

And who says a god can't break its own rules? It's not like humans are in a position to punish them for it. Not yet anyway.

The real violence in these interpretations of God, and Jesus, and the Bible comes from judging them at a millennial remove from their original context, and the violence is primarily to their original writers and their audience. What we learn from these texts, to the extent that the original has been retained, is what the ancient Israelites believed, and to the extent that they've been revised, how those beliefs proved unsatisfactory to later tradents.

Such as yourself.

To Rhea's post.

Harsh measures for harsh people and harsh times. Atheists 'used' to argue Christians have nothing to do with the OT, only Jews do. Looks like that argument is redundant.

Anyway, Christians are called this, because of Jesus. Love your enemies, your neighbour as yourself etc..& etc

(Apologies cant reply properly to long posts on this gadget at the moment)

Harsh measures for harsh people and harsh times.
This is another fundamental flaw in your religion. Or at least, this argument does not help mitigate the original flaw of cruelty. If the book is unreliable for any audience but the one contemporary to its publishing, why would a god be incapable of publishing a sequel?

Why would any loving figure fail to update and move away from perpetuating “harsh times”? It makes no sense.
Atheists 'used' to argue Christians have nothing to do with the OT, only Jews do.
What? What atheist says this??
Christians say this when they want to claim that Jesus made all the bad stuff go away.
And then when we say, “why do you keep the OT, then?”
They admit that they need it to prop up the “foretold” part of their story, and Christianity can’t exist without it.

Atheists do not say this.

Anyway, Christians are called this, because of Jesus.
Christians are called “this”. What is this?
Love your enemies, your neighbour as yourself etc..& etc

Is this like a blankie you just grabbed? What on earth does it have to do with Yahweh putting danger in front of his children, letting a psychopath into the room, and then punishing his children for the result? It sounds like Jesus condemning Yahweh for being ungodly.

Atheists not saying, "Christians have nothing to do with the OT..?" Lol. Perhaps not now, in this case, for reasons fitting your preferred idea for a narrative. Hey I've been in many discussions in previous freethought forums saying this. You know, like the Mythsicists do?

This is another fundamental flaw in your religion. Or at least, this argument does not help mitigate the original flaw of cruelty. If the book is unreliable for any audience but the one contemporary to its publishing, why would a god be incapable of publishing a sequel?

Why would any loving figure fail to update and move away from perpetuating “harsh times”? It makes no sense.
Atheists 'used' to argue Christians have nothing to do with the OT, only Jews do.
Christians say this when they want to claim that Jesus made all the bad stuff go away.
The NT is an extension of the OT. The 1st Christians 'were' Jews. Christianity should therefore be a Jewish sect 'technically' - while gentiles 'could' normally become Jews. What more for gentiles becoming Christians/and Jews, in a manner of speaking, by this logic?

Christians don't need to sacrifice lambs yearly for the atonement for sins. Simply in few words: if you don't believe in Jesus and what Jesus preaches you are then burdened and judged under the 10 Commandments.

Last edited:
Atheists not saying, "Christians have nothing to do with the OT..?" Lol. Perhaps not now, in this case, for reasons fitting your preferred idea for a narrative. Hey I've been in many discussions in previous freethought forums saying this. You know, like the Mythsicists do?
No, I don’t know.

I cannot fathom why an atheist would say this.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

The NT is an extension of the OT.
I know that Christians believe this. We all know this. It’s why an atheist would not say something like “Christians have nothing to do with the OT.”

It’s absurd. Atheists KNOW that Christians are a mix of those who distance themselves from the OT and those who distance themselves from the NT. Atheists KNOW that the worst examples of christianity are those who try to impose OT religious laws on the rest of us. It’s what harms us most from Christians.
The 1st Christians 'were' Jews.
Atheists know this.
Christianity should therefore be a Jewish sect 'technically'
We know this. Although the first ones sure pissed off their brethren, didn’t they?
- while gentiles 'could' normally become Jews. What more for gentiles becoming Christians/and Jews, in a manner of speaking, by this logic?
This sentence is missing important parts of speech. It does not make sense.
Christians don't need to sacrifice lambs yearly for the atonement for sins. Simply in few words: if you don't believe in Jesus and what Jesus preaches you are then burdened and judged under the 10 Commandments.
What does this have to do with the moral wrong of the garden of eden story, again? I’m still trying to fgure out why you changed the subject to how nice Jesus is, from the eden story. I mean, I guess I do understand; it’s the security blankie. Someone points out how awful the bible is and you retreat to, “but Jesus was nice!!!”

No, I don’t know.

I cannot fathom why an atheist would say this.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?
You cannot fathom why? Not even the notions suggested, like for example... Christians are a 'later invention' who don't practice Jewish traditions and what have you?

[....]
The NT is an extension of the OT.
I know that Christians believe this. We all know this. It’s why an atheist would not say something like “Christians have nothing to do with the OT.”
Some atheist 'have' said this. Here's an obvious line of argument: "Jesus was invented by the Romans"

Atheists saa lot of things. big difference is atheists don't intrude or force beliefs as Christians do.

Theists say 'god impregnated a human.

As I say atheists and theists cn both be eqwually wacky with wild belifs, the diffence being atheists don't try ans force it on people.

"Atheists" are defined by their lack of subscription to theism. Their comments and opinions vary wildly; To suggest that because some atheists said something once, all atheists must therefore explain the reasons for saying it (because they must agree with it) is batshit insane - it's pure distraction, and shouldn't be dignified with a response.

I'm an atheist, but not only do I not "argue Christians have nothing to do with the OT, only Jews do", I also have no reason to consider the possibility that some atheists once argued that, somewhere for some reason - it's sufficient to note that nobody in this thread has made such an argument, which renders it a stupidly pointless distraction from the actual discussion. Presumably launched by Learner because he's incapable of defending himself against the actual arguments being presented.

Theists have argued that fire was stolen from the Gods by Prometheus. Should we conclude that Learner ought to drop out of this thread until he has justified that belief, which "theists" hold? Or is it an irrelevant distraction, because none of that subset of theists are even here?

I am an atheist. I am not "atheists", and I no more need to defend the arguments made by "atheists" than Learner needs to defend every argument made by "theists". Learner does however need to defend arguments made by Learner, and stop using weak tactics such as the fallacy of guilt by association.

The eden story goes:
  • Yahweh is a loving guardian.
  • Yahwah places ignorant-and-happy-and-immortal humans in a garden
  • Yahweh also places in the garden a “fruit,” that, if “eaten,” will destroy the happiness and end the life. (Was immortal, now will die (plus all the other bad things like painful childbirth))
Without the first lie from the serpent, Adam & Eve would still be innocent creatures, but alas, this didn't happen - what happend in Eden, brought about a whole sequence of events, throughout the timeline of all human existence.

Humans decide their 'own' directional paths, determined by each individual's actions - BUT this ALSO applies to angels too! The desired 'wills' of 'every' entity, 'has' to be 'tested' and 'played out!' Including satan. Angels and mankind therefore acquire a mark of 'worthiness value' weighed by the actions stemming from their willing hearts & minds - which means that if you willingly WANT to be with God in the next world, it will be so. Those who don't, won't. That's the brief summary of how the story narrative goes.

• Yahweh tells the humans not to eat the incredibly dangerous fruit that he put into their garden.
  • Yahwek places in the garden a deceiver (serpent) that tries to tempt the adoringly loved by Yahweh humans into eating this fruit.
  • Yahweh watches without comment as the decevier that he put into the garden introduces his beloved humans to the dangerous fruit that he put in the garden.
  • Yahweh punishes the humans with pain, disease, suffering and death for being curious - the way he made them - and succumbing to the deceiver - that he made - and eating the dangerous fruit - that he made and put into their community.
  • This is True Love (tm)
That is what is being placed next to an analogy of a human parent
  • placing a dangerous item in their kids’ room
  • placing a deceiver in there with them to entice them to use the dangerous item
  • And being called loving
*This is not a trick or a gotcha. It’s not sarcasm or mal intent.*
*No it's a distorted view.*
This is a Very Serious Moral Flaw in the bible story [....]

We ask you a direct question; this is what it looks like to us. How does it not look that way to you?
-> now you will decide whether you answer it with honest intent, whether you dodge and pretend it’s a joke that you don’t have to address, or whether you just clam up and refuse to address it.
I have no problem, or fear of answering questions. I could be seen as arrogant or foolish when I do, giving, what may seem to you, foolish or incorrect answers. I could also just 'say' I don't know. It's just my view point, a theist that will of course, be at odds with other people.

Last edited:
The eden story goes:
  • Yahweh also places in the garden a “fruit,” that, if “eaten,” will destroy the happiness and end the life. (Was immortal, now will die (plus all the other bad things like painful childbirth))
  • Yahweh tells the humans not to eat the incredibly dangerous fruit that he put into their garden.
  • Yahwek places in the garden a deceiver (serpent) that tries to tempt the adoringly loved by Yahweh humans into eating this fruit.
  • Yahweh watches without comment as the decevier that he put into the garden introduces his beloved humans to the dangerous fruit that he put in the garden.
  • Yahweh punishes the humans with pain, disease, suffering and death for being curious - the way he made them - and succumbing to the deceiver - that he made - and eating the dangerous fruit - that he made and put into their community.
  • This is True Love (tm)

• placing a deceiver in there with them to entice them to use the dangerous item

This is not a trick or a gotcha. It’s not sarcasm or mal intent.

This is a Very Serious Moral Flaw in the bible story that makes people recoil wth horror. And we are interested in how you believe it to be true or moral.

We ask you a direct question; this is what it looks like to us. How does it not look that way to you?
-> now you will decide whether you answer it with honest intent, whether you dodge and pretend it’s a joke that you don’t have to address, or whether you just clam up and refuse to address it.

It’s a big deal, Learner. You can joke and obfuscate all you want, but the horror of the story to us is incredibly real: we deal with fellow humans who believe this story is a Moral Good, and it concerns us to share the planet with such people, especially when they want t pass laws based on morals like this one.

Your point about what is unsettling in religious beliefs and the "true love" bullet point reminds me of other moral failings, contradictions and unsettling things such as genocides and holocausts perpetrated and defended by Abrahamic religionists.

Link1:
..."God is love." ...

• 1 John 4:8 - But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
  • 1 John 4:16 - We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.

Summary and Analysis of 1 John 4:7-21​

In this section of Scripture, we learn that brotherly love is our response to God's love. The Lord teaches believers how to show his love to others, to our friends, family, and even our enemies. God's love is unconditional; his love is very different from human love that we experience with one another because it is not based on feelings. He doesn't love us because we please him. He loves us simply because he is love.

Link2:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. ...

Link3:

Deuteronomy 6:15​

15 for the Lord your God in your midst is a jealous God—lest the anger of the Lord your God be kindled against you, and he destroy you from off the face of the earth.

Link4:
7And the Lord said, "I will blot out man, whom I created, from upon the face of the earth, from man to cattle to creeping thing, to the fowl of the heavens, for I regret that I made them."

It's quite scary that people can believe all these things simultaneously. god is pure love. love is not jealous because it does not envy. and god is angry and jealous. plus, he killed everyone on the planet except for one guy and his descendants.

Learner - it sounds like you plan to pretend the question was not asked. Then answer you own with:
I could also just 'say' I don't know.
Are the quotes to establish that it is an untruth that you don’t know and you are just saying that to avoid discussion? I’m confused what the quote marks are intended to mean.

But a reminder: the question was, in what way is Yahweh’s eden story different from a parent putting an appealing weapon, and a deceiver intent on making them use it, into a child’s room and then punishing the child for failing to ignore it?
The eden story goes:
Without the first lie from the serpent,
The serpent that, of course, Yahweh deliberately, and with foreknowledge of the consequences, put into the garden with them…

Adam & Eve would still be innocent creatures, but alas, this didn't happen

Because of Yahweh’s choices and actions - taken with full and complete foreknowledge of the outcome of his decisions.

- what happend in Eden, brought about a whole sequence of events, throughout the timeline of all human existence.
That sequence of events that, your story says, Yahweh knew completely before he made a decision to place the tree and the serpent in his garden. “Lovingly.”

I often wonder, when Christians argue this; are you asserting that Yahweh was powerless to do anything different? Is he laboring under an addictive compulsion that prevents him from doing any better? From deciding to not create suffering.

Or does Yahweh answer to his father (or owner, or creator) who forces him to obey certain rules against his nature?

I can never tell in what way you are admitting the weakness of your lord, here.

But a reminder: the question was, in what way is Yahweh’s eden story different from a parent putting an appealing weapon, and a deceiver intent on making them use it, into a child’s room and then punishing the child for failing to ignore it?
Humans decide their 'own' directional paths, determined by each individual's actions
…In the presence of deliberately placed appealing dangers
- BUT this ALSO applies to angels too!
Once Yahweh has permitted them access to the humans.

As a “loving parent,” Yahweh did not protect his children from a predator. He let the predator into the room, and stood back while the predator did what it wanted.
The desired 'wills' of 'every' entity, 'has' to be 'tested' and 'played out!' Including satan.
Why.

Whose rule is this? Why is it a rule? Does Yahweh love this rule? Did he create this rule?
Or was it created by his creator and he is bound against his will to follow it.
Are you sure mankind didn’t fabricate this rule? How are you sure of that?

It seems like a rule that mankid would fabricate to handwave away the existence of evil that was placed in the creation by Yahweh himself. Yahweh did make the angels, right?

(Corollary plot hole: we should assume this is all still true in Heaven, right? Since Yahweh cannot avoid it or overome it? Evil, hurt, harm, suffering all exists in heaven because of the rule you state above: ‘has’ to be ‘tested’ and ‘played out.’)

No parent would be absolved of letting a predator harm their child by saying, “well, I had to test them! I had to let it play out!” Because that is not parenting. That is doing evil experiments on children.

Angels and mankind therefore acquire a mark of 'worthiness value' weighed by the actions stemming from their willing hearts & minds - which means that if you willingly WANT to be with God in the next world, it will be so. Those who don't, won't. That's the brief summary of how the story narrative goes.

So when they get to the next next world, they all stop being “willing hearts & minds”?
Keeping in mind that the god knows, in advance, which angels and people will be worthy. He does not have to make them suffer to know. He does not even have to create them to know. He could choose to create only the worthy ones. But he chooses to.

This sounds a lot like creating suffering just to watch it.

Which brings us back to this question: in what way is Yahweh’s eden story different from a parent putting an appealing weapon, and a deceiver intent on making them use it, into a child’s room and then punishing the child for failing to ignore it?

It sounds like your answer here is, “it is no different. He likes to watch suffering, and so he creates it on purpose just to watch it happen and punish those who he knew would fail before they were even born, as well as punish all of those who are harmed by those who fail.

One of the most cruel and distressing realities of this belief is that WE KNOW that if we abuse a child, we can create a criminal adult. We KNOW this, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Your god does this, creates abusers, lets them abuse children, and then punishes the children for being typical victims of abuse.

So yahweh doesn’t just punish the criminal, he creates them from previously non-criminal children.

Honestly - this statement is really REALLY disturbing that anyone would think it was “loving”;
acquire a mark of 'worthiness value' weighed by the actions stemming from their willing hearts & minds
Parents do NOT spend their time wondering if their child is “worthy” of their parenting. Are you a parent? This is pretty gross.

• This is True Love (tm)
*This is not a trick or a gotcha. It’s not sarcasm or mal intent.*
*No it's a distorted view.*

Then answer the question without distortion: in what way is Yahweh’s eden story different from a parent putting an appealing weapon, and a deceiver intent on making them use it, into a child’s room and then punishing the child for failing to ignore it?

This is a Very Serious Moral Flaw in the bible story [....]

I have no problem, or fear of answering questions.
Then just do it.

I could be seen as arrogant or foolish when I do, giving, what may seem to you, foolish or incorrect answers. I could also just 'say' I don't know. It's just my view point, a theist that will of course, be at odds with other people.
As I note at the top of this post, it looks like you are taking another opportunity to decide to not answer the question.

• Are you worried about looking arrogant or foolish? Why, if you feel you are telling a truth? Does the truth look foolish and arrogant?
  • Is the answer you give possibly incorrect? Then why would you not welcome discussion of it to correct yourself?
  • If you plan to say you don’t know, when you think you do, isn’t that false witness? Why not just NOT POST, then? Or are you hoping to get some content out there while never answering the discussion? Wouldn’t that be preaching rather than discussion?
  • Of course you’re at odds with other people. That’s the whole point of discussion. Do you fear this?

Last edited:
Atheists saa lot of things. big difference is atheists don't intrude or force beliefs as Christians do.

Theists say 'god impregnated a human.

As I say atheists and theists cn both be eqwually wacky with wild belifs, the diffence being atheists don't try ans force it on people.
Haven't ignored you steve-b.

Indeed atheists say a lot of things. Now I have for a few years understood that 'not everyone' says or do the same things, just as you do, even when they belong to a group, known under a specific identifying label. IF I say "atheists do this or say that.." I am assuming that those who know me by now, would assume that I don't mean everyone in that group. Of course one could ask," do you mean all atheists?"

You do the same thing, speaking generally as highlighted in the bold above. You haven't said whether or not that ALL Christians force their beliefs on people - But I made the assumption, that you don't mean ALL Christians. Writing long winded posts (not directed at you), and making the assumption, that I mean "all atheists do this", doesn't add points on the integrity score board.

Learner - it sounds like you plan to pretend the question was not asked. Then answer you own with:
I could also just 'say' I don't know.
That would be the answer to questions I actually don't know. the answers to.

Are the quotes to establish that it is an untruth that you don’t know and you are just saying that to avoid discussion? I’m confused what the quote marks are intended to mean.

Its different because you don't live long, full, productive lives, producing children like Adam and Eve did ! Does your weapon in your scenario cause premature aging?

The eden story goes:
Without the first lie from the serpent,
The serpent that, of course, Yahweh deliberately, and with foreknowledge of the consequences, put into the garden with them…

Because of Yahweh’s choices and actions - taken with full and complete foreknowledge of the outcome of his decisions.

Foreknowledge of an event being like the "only one way to happen" event, doesn't conceptually make sense to me, as it seems by your post - which actually has more implications for a fixed " can't escape" intentions; which would be absolutely meaningless, conflicting with the concept understanding for, forgiveness, sacrifice and judgment as emphasized throughout the scriptures.

Omniscience should mean God would be able to see many alternative 'going either way' outcomes from the same characters, i.e., God is All Knowing! An independent free-thinking entity is not someone who is incapable of choosing where he or she walks a road ... nor is an independent free-willed living entity, dependent on every minute instructions for functionality, programed by by the 'will' and desire of someone else, because otherwise then, this entity wouldn't be a living creature. Satan, basically, was allowed to freely chose his destination and outcome!

(The rest of your post I use the response above.)
I could be seen as arrogant or foolish when I do, giving, what may seem to you, foolish or incorrect answers. I could also just 'say' I don't know. It's just my view point, a theist that will of course, be at odds with other people.
As I note at the top of this post, it looks like you are taking another opportunity to decide to not answer the question.

• Are you worried about looking arrogant or foolish? Why, if you feel you are telling a truth? Does the truth look foolish and arrogant?
  • Is the answer you give possibly incorrect? Then why would you not welcome discussion of it to correct yourself?
  • If you plan to say you don’t know, when you think you do, isn’t that false witness? Why not just NOT POST, then? Or are you hoping to get some content out there while never answering the discussion? Wouldn’t that be preaching rather than discussion?
  • Of course you’re at odds with other people. That’s the whole point of discussion. Do you fear this?
All I meant was ... I don't need to "dodge" questions.

I change my position on the first sin - something to note for interest, thanks to some fellow Christians who corrected me.

Satan's pride was the first sin! The lie came after!

Last edited:
you don't live long, full, productive lives, producing children like Adam and Eve did

I beg your pardon?

My life has been long, full, productive and fruitful.
(And I have produced infinitely more children than you have.)
And. I have never EVER put a weapon in my kids room, told them not to touch it, then sent a person trying to talk them into using it, and then punished them with early death for failing to ignore it. Nor would I ever. That would be 100% my fault.

Is this your reply to what a monster Yahweh is for setting up his children for failure and then punishing them for it?

Here’s what it would look like - I take an attractive toy that looks like candy, I paint it with a mixture of lead paint mixed with PBAs and mercury and ethylene glycol. I put it in the kids’ room and send in someone to tell them how good it tastes. I never protect them from the toy, the intruder or my own monstrous intent. The children chew on the toy; it’s pretty and colorful and they think it will taste good. It does taste good, because I added the glycol. They ingest all the things I put before them.

Then I punish them with pain, madness, and early death from the poisoned paint. That I put in their hands and that was encouraged by the intruder I sent.

That’s not loving parenting, Learner. Not ever.

you don't live long, full, productive lives, producing children like Adam and Eve did

I beg your pardon?

My life has been long, full, productive and fruitful.
(And I have produced infinitely more children than you have.)
Pardon me, I was still referring to the 'lethal poison in the bedroom' scenario, which was still in my mind. In that scenario, children wouldn't have a full productive life, if they're dead.
And. I have never EVER put a weapon in my kids room, told them not to touch it, then sent a person trying to talk them into using it, and then punished them with early death for failing to ignore it. Nor would I ever. That would be 100% my fault.

Is this your reply to what a monster Yahweh is for setting up his children for failure and then punishing them for it?

I'm humoured by the structured "weapons in the kids room" & "poison in the child's bedroom" analogies. Why not the whole house, or garage where children can have access to house-hold chemicals, electric power points, dangerous tools and medicine cabinets? Sadly, children unfortunately have died at home, despite them having loving parents.

Here’s what it would look like - I take an attractive toy that looks like candy, I paint it with a mixture of lead paint mixed with PBAs and mercury and ethylene glycol. I put it in the kids’ room and send in someone to tell them how good it tastes. I never protect them from the toy, the intruder or my own monstrous intent. The children chew on the toy; it’s pretty and colorful and they think it will taste good. It does taste good, because I added the glycol. They ingest all the things I put before them.

Then I punish them with pain, madness, and early death from the poisoned paint. That I put in their hands and that was encouraged by the intruder I sent.

'What it would look like' is similar to the analogies above. I have a different scenario. Parents putting into their child's hands, or placing in their bedrooms, devices that has access to all sorts of information. Harmful enticing information and knowledge access, that has negative psychological affects to the child. We hear all sorts of dangers to children, and like the serpent in Eden and tree knowledge, enticing Adam and Eve, we have serpents roaming about enticing children on the internet preying on their curious innocence alone in the 'bedroom', while having loving parents.

Last edited:
Pardon me, I was still referring to the 'lethal poison in the bedroom' scenario, which was still in my mind. In that scenario, children wouldn't have a full productive life, if they're dead.
Then you are dodging the question. Because it was about how Yahweh harmed his cheldren Adam and Eve. And you seem to be saying, ”but they lived long and productive lives,” except they DIDN’T by comparison to being immortal.

So if that’s what you meant, then no, you have not absolved your god. He killed them. Infinitely sooner than they would have died if immortal. And that assumes one believes the silly and childish assertion that they lived to be 900 years old. (I can’t believe Christians and Jews are not embarassed by that entry in their “holy” book.

I'm humoured by the structured "weapons in the kids room" & "poison in the child's bedroom" analogies. Why not the whole house, or garage where children can have access to house-hold chemicals, electric power points, dangerous tools and medicine cabinets? Sadly, children unfortunately have died at home, despite them having loving parents.

Your attempt to absolve your god by pretending that he is as powerless as humans while still maintaining that he is a god, is noted.

Here’s where we are:
You claim that you have a god. And that he CREATED Eden. All of it. With his massive, bigly powers. I mean, y’all claim he created DNA, and volcanoes, and viruses and redwood trees and embryonic development.
We acknowledge that this is your claim. And you will be measured by it.

We create an analogy of a similar environment that a parent can create and control like a bedroom.

And you, realizing that yor God is, indeed, a fucking monster, try to change the setting so that your god is just as weak as a human parent in the wider world.

And so that’s what you’re selling now? You god is so impotent that it wasn’t his fault that the tree of life that he created was in the garden with the naive humans that he created to be naive? And that it wasn’t god’s fault that he put his serpent in there with them. And that it wasn’t his fault that he did not stand between the deceiver and his children crying out that the serpent was a liar. Because god is just as weak as a human parent who lives in a world created by others (presence of electric and garage full of chemicals).

What a pathetic god you have. So he’s not all powerful at all, is he. He’s just another schmo. Sad.

I managed to keep my kids out of the chemicals and the electric by actively parenting them and helping them navigate the dangers, but your god is just not quite that good?

What a sad sack of a god.

'What it would look like' is similar to the analogies above. I have a different scenario. Parents put into their child's hands, or place in their bedrooms, devices that has access to all sorts of information. Harmful enticing information and knowledge that has negative affects to the child psychologically . We hear all sorts of dangers to children. Like the serpent in Eden and tree knowledge, enticing Adam and Eve, we have serpents roaming about enticing children on the internet preying on their curious innocence alone in the 'bedroom', while having loving parents.
Changing the scenario again because your all powerful god was not able to navigate the first one?

Joke’s on you, Learner. My kids did not have internet devices that they could use outside of my supervision until they were old enough to handle them. They had one computer, in the kitchen, visible to me, with non-online games. They got their first phones when they learned to drive and had a need to make calls on their own.

So your god is still weaker and stupider than some backwoods yahoo mom.

And you keep coming back with new ways to argue that your god is weaker, less protective and less caring than the typical parent.

With friends like you, your god doesn’t need enemies!

Sadly, children unfortunately have died at home, despite them having loving parents.

This has never happened unless the parents were lacking in omnipotence, omniscience, or omnibenevolence.

If your gods lack in one of these qualities (the gods are too stupid to put the tree outside the garden, too weak to be able to put the tree outside the garden, or are not that interested in the kids' safety) then your analogy holds up. Otherwise, not.

Back
Top Bottom