• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Exposing Atheistic Myths

Sure, science says the universe an earth are old. Does this mean they are right? Of course not. For example, when God made Adam and Eve, they looked about 25 years old but they were 0 seconds old. If a scientist came along to study Adam and Even, he would conclude that they have been around for 25 years, not 0 seconds.
God created the woman well after he created the man, so their ages wouldn't have been the same (0 seconds).
That's an interesting question. She was cloned, so at least one of her ribs was just as old as Adam. Was the rest of her as old as her rib?
How would we know?
What diff would it make?
I still want to know how Half knows they were 25.
And i really want to know if Half knows the rate at which brain cells replace themselves.

Sure, science says the universe an earth are old. Does this mean they are right? Of course not. For example, when God made Adam and Eve, they looked about 25 years old but they were 0 seconds old. If a scientist came along to study Adam and Even, he would conclude that they have been around for 25 years, not 0 seconds.
God created the woman well after he created the man, so their ages wouldn't have been the same (0 seconds).
That's an interesting question. She was cloned, so at least one of her ribs was just as old as Adam. Was the rest of her as old as her rib?
How would we know?
What diff would it make?
I still want to know how Half knows they were 25.
And i really want to know if Half knows the rate at which brain cells replace themselves.
Good point. I had overlooked that part of the historical and literal truth that is the second story of creation.

I suppose the next question is, "How do you date the age of clay?"

I suppose the next question is, "How do you date the age of clay?"

As always, look at what's buried in it, above it, below it, then say "The Flood. it all dates to the Flood."

Oh, wait. No, can't do that 1656 years before the Flood, though.
OH! But there'd be nothing buried beneath the clay. That's Day 3 stuff. The only thing under that is the Waters Below. So there's your date: Zer0.

They are picking the one closest at hand. Hence the widgets closest at hand have a better chance of being picked.
AND we have no background information stating that the 40 widgets are randomly arranged.
So it's not a simple 1 in 40 chance.

If God wanted to send a miraculous sign to the co-worker by way of letting them pick the defective widget 1st go, then He c...

Finding the defective widget 1st pick or last pick are not equally probable if you know additional background information.
Oh! You’re saying the odds are greater because you have a trickster god that likes to stack the deck against people. That’s the only way to change the odds.

Oh! You’re saying the odds are greater because you have a trickster god that likes to stack the deck against people. That’s the only way to change the odds.
Well, in a secular reality, there's no reason to assume the widget distribution is inimical to random testing, but as the Goodie Book says,
Ezekiel 14:9. 9.3.2
And if the assurer is enticed to assure a great quality, I the DISTRIBUTOR have enticed that assurer, and I will stretch out my hand against his test plan and destroy his test plan from among my widgets and doohickeys. Say glory and a tight shipping date amen.

They are picking the one closest at hand. Hence the widgets closest at hand have a better chance of being picked.
AND we have no background information stating that the 40 widgets are randomly arranged.

If God wanted to send a miraculous sign to the co-worker by way of letting them pick the defective widget 1st go, then He c...

Finding the defective widget 1st pick or last pick are not equally probable if you know additional background information.

*sigh*
No. That's not what I'm saying.

Look. Let me explain the concept of background information and how it relates to probability.

Anecdotal (religious) co-worker and his (smug condescending) atheist sidekick work in quality control. Each day/week/month they do a 100% inspection of a batch of 40 widgets that have just come off the production line.

They have to perform the QA inspection because the injection mold or mandrel or die or 'thingy' which makes the widgets gradually wears out such that the finished items towards the end of the production run are no longer within tolerance.

So 40 widgets come off the production line one by one down to the end of the conveyor where someone takes them one by one and stacks them on a pallet. (Hint do you see the background info yet?)

A hand truck trolly wheels the pallet over to the quality control department where the religious co-worker walks over and starts with the first widget - on the top, closest to reach. No they aren't blindfolded. And no they don't select a widget at the bottom of the stack. #not-a-game-of-Jenga

cardboard-boxes-pallet-hand-forklift-cargo-delivery-transportation-logistics-storage-43423096.jpg

Now, since the widgets produced first are at the bottom of the stack (duh!) they don't have a 1 in 40 chance of being selected first. And because the widget that gets inspected first is the one closest at hand, it is NOT blind chance that they happen across the defective part 1st go.

So, when the religious co-worker expresses their surprise at such an unusual first pick discovery, they actually are onto something. And (ironically) it's the smug, conceited 'uber-rational' Mr Spock atheist who is wrong to assert that it's only ever always forever going to be a 1 in 40 luck of the draw outcome.

^ ^
According to your hand waving 'back story' the one who found the defective widget should not have thought it was a one in a million chance to pick that one first. It should be expected that if any were defective then the one on top should be. So the "Mr.Spock atheist" should have responded, "It isn't a one in a million chance. It is a certainty if any of them are defective". Still no miracle involved.

The question is, why would the finder of the defective widget think that it was so fucking miraculous? At worse, the odds of picking the defective widget first would be 1 in 40... unless you want to introduce a trickster god and his magic.

^ ^
According to your hand waving 'back story' the one who found the defective widget should not have thought it was a one in a million chance to pick that one first. It should be expected that if any were defective then the one on top should be. So the "Mr.Spock atheist" should have responded, "It isn't a one in a million chance. It is a certainty if any of them are defective". Still no miracle involved.

The question is, why would the finder of the defective widget think that it was so fucking miraculous? At worse, the odds of picking the defective widget first would be 1 in 40... unless you want to introduce a trickster god and his magic.

^ This.

Stacking the deck can make the event LESS miraculous, but can't make it MORE of an unlikely event.

It's very telling that Lion can persuade himself of something that's both wrong, and easily demonstrated to be wrong; And that having done so, he is absolutely committed to defending his error.

If this is his response to a simple question of probability, is it any wonder that he believes a whole bunch of abject nonsense about the reality he inhabits? This conversation here is a perfect example of how nonsensical and counter-factual religions are able to survive and thrive in human societies. People in general are not very good at joined-up thinking. Lion is just a particularly clear example of this phenomenon.

Then it would fail to qualify as God according to early Chrisitan philosophers:

To say God has made a mistake is to admit that a God would be greater had it not made a mistake.

Not really. Only a maximally great, omniscient, omnipotent Being could continuously improve on their own handiwork.

A hypothetical statement of regret by God doesn't imply that God has exhausted the limit of His abilities - which are infinite.

I disagree. As praiseworthy as his admission might be, it is an admisssion that he could have been greater. That is, in his own mind, as well as ours, a greater God can be conceived of.

Well from the limited viewpoint of a mere mortal (as one can only fathom). If it is by the underlined above, I'd take it as God is greater now e.g. A New Heaven and Earth.

Always greater than HIS creations.

Last edited:
I disagree. As praiseworthy as his admission might be, it is an admisssion that he could have been greater. That is, in his own mind, as well as ours, a greater God can be conceived of.

Well from the limited viewpoint of a mere mortal (as one can only fathom). If it is by the underlined above, I'd take it as God is greater now e.g. A New Heaven and Earth.

Always greater than HIS creations.

There's no degree of maximally great, omniscient, omnibenevolent or omnipotent. Maximal means there is no possibility of better. Omni means entirely knowing, good, and powerful.

There's no use complaining at atheists that it puts constraints on God to insist that words mean what they mean. It's theists who constrain how God must be by describing him at all. The ancient myth-makers didn't have a problem with that. The problem of making mythology make sense (apparently primarily to doubtful Christians) arose when theists wanted to get philosophical about it.

Whether any theist tries to go from theological "reasoning" about airy abstractions like a "first cause" towards the tribal deity Jahweh... Or theists go from the tribal deity Jahweh towards airy abstractions like "maximally great" ... It isn't just a flimsy connection but an impossible one. The biblical mythology is too silly to explain with philosophy.

Lion, you seem to be changing the story here. It starts with TGG relaying an anecdote, about how his religious coworker is just AMAZED when he picks up an unfinished piece, right off, and thinks that is not natural. This anecdote was (In retrospect, hilariously) in response to a recommendation about not taking religious hyperbole seriously.

Anyway, to wit:
I'd bet most experiences of God aren't hallucinations. They can be as homely as what many would describe as "the warm fuzzies". An effusive feeling of love or wonder that makes one bubble over in a state of joy can be attributed to "the Holy Spirit moves me!" or "the love of Jesus fills my heart". There's no hallucination, just hyperbole. Then their misattribution of unusual states to God or Jesus becomes confirmation they're real.

Same with coincidences. Little "miracles" in life that would be best explained as fortunate coincidences turn into a proof of God's hand in things. A natural explanation feels (needlessly) like it takes the wonderfulness out of the coincidence. Since it's an experience that happened to a religious person, it becomes a "religious experience".

So, be aware of the likelihood of extreme hyperbole when they reference their religious experiences.

A former co-worker is a very religious person. We were performing a typical inspection on an order that contained 40 pieces, all identical. We would measure one piece and visually inspect the remaining pieces for completeness. He grabbed one piece and it was incomplete, but all the other pieces were complete. Only the first one he picked up had a dimension that was unfinished! This is very unusual.

He came to me in a state of amazement. He said, "What are the chances I would have picked up the one piece that was not finished? That's a million to one!! So I calmly said, the odds are forty to one because there are 40 pieces. Talk about a look of disappointment, knocked him right of miracle-witnessing-land.

So that’s the context. Religionists take little everyday coincidences and call them miracles from God. Hence the anecdote. A factory worker picks up a piece, and it is a defect.

But now, you hyperbolically (and right on cue for the christian) claim that the odds are even greater than one in a box because it happened to be at the top of the stack? And you have no idea if he took it from the top of the stack, by the way. It was only said that it was the first piece he picked up.

But here you go:
Is that really only 1 in 40?

I think you're overlooking the fact that there are a LOT more than 40 combinations of ways you can stack 40 widgets (think 40-sided rubics cube.) The defective part didn't have to be the very same one closest at hand.

Your co-worker wasn't blindfolded and randomly selecting one coloured ball from a bag of 40.

Oh? How do you know that. “It was the first one he picked up” is all you know

Skep explains it to you.
But the defective one could only be in one of forty places. How the remaining 39 were arranged with respect to it and each other is irrelevant.

But that's NOT the anecdote.
There is not an equal chance that the widget at the bottom of the stack and the one at the top of the stack will be picked first.

You do not even know they were stacked. For all you know, they WERE marbles, or they were 1” square widgets in a foot-wide box. Nor do you know if they were stacked in order from the edge finishing line.

Their placement is random. So that doesn't affect the probability that the defective one is in the chosen position.
For all we know, Bilby is correct here. They could indeed be random. And in the context of something boxed up, it is essentially random wich piece starts a new box in most production lines.

That's a different anecdote. (Whether the wigdets are arranged at random.)
Oh? How do you know that? How do you know that’s a different anecdote?

IF they are arranged randomly and IF the blindfolded co-worker selects one completely at random,
THEN all have an equal chance of being selected first.

You and Treedbear must surely understand how easy it would be to rig the scenario such that the defective widget will almost certainly be picked 1st. And that's the reason why you have to avoid mocking your religious co-worker"s belief telling them it's only ever 1 in 40
Dude, this is true, but it’s still not amazing.
And it completely contradicts your claim that it’s MORE amazing than pure chance. It’s LESS amazing. So the million to one mocking - well, no one should mock their co-worker, but it remains an illustration of willful ignorance, doesn’t it?

Sure, it could be rigged.

But if it is, the odds are better than 40:1, and if it's not, they're exactly 40:1. In no scenario are the odds worse than 40:1, as you have been claiming.
Exactly. The only way is coould be worse odds is the trickster god I reference below. And if your credulous gullibility relies on a trickster god, then you have really weird beliefs.

They are picking the one closest at hand.
Again, you do not know that. You only know it was the first he picked up. He could have reached across he box and gotten one from the back.

Hence the widgets closest at hand have a better chance of being picked.
On a production line, it really is.

If God wanted to send a miraculous sign to the co-worker by way of letting them pick the defective widget 1st go, then He could place the defective one at the top of the stack and closest within reach.
That god, such a clear communicator. It’s said he can design DNA!. But when it comes down to a demonstration, he moves widgets.
Are you kidding us here?

Indeed this is true, if you have assignable cause variation, you can certainly do some predictions. But it will never make it LESS probable than 1 in 40. Certainly not a million to one.

=======

*sigh*
No. That's not what I'm saying.

Look. Let me explain the concept of background information and how it relates to probability.
No need, dude. That’s what I do for a living.
(What do you do for a living?)

Anecdotal (religious) co-worker and his (smug condescending) atheist sidekick work in quality control. Each day/week/month they do a 100% inspection of a batch of 40 widgets that have just come off the production line.

They have to perform the QA inspection because the injection mold or mandrel or die or 'thingy' which makes the widgets gradually wears out such that the finished items towards the end of the production run are no longer within tolerance.

So 40 widgets come off the production line one by one down to the end of the conveyor where someone takes them one by one and stacks them on a pallet. (Hint do you see the background info yet?)

A hand truck trolly wheels the pallet over to the quality control department where the religious co-worker walks over and starts with the first widget - on the top, closest to reach. No they aren't blindfolded. And no they don't select a widget at the bottom of the stack. #not-a-game-of-Jenga

Now, since the widgets produced first are at the bottom of the stack (duh!) they don't have a 1 in 40 chance of being selected first. And because the widget that gets inspected first is the one closest at hand, it is NOT blind chance that they happen across the defective part 1st go.

So, when the religious co-worker expresses their surprise at such an unusual first pick discovery, they actually are onto something.

What, that the manufacturing process trends toward more defects as equipment wears making the last part made more likely to be defective than any other part prior to it?

:hysterical:

And (ironically) it's the smug, conceited 'uber-rational' Mr Spock atheist who is wrong to assert that it's only ever always forever going to be a 1 in 40 luck of the draw outcome.
1 in 40 or better
:hysterical:

Last edited:
So that’s the context. Religionists take little everyday coincidences and call them miracles from God.

God observation, it says a lot.

Having done a lot of work with statistics low probability events can and do happens. I wqas praying for some extra cash and I found $20 in the street.

When someone prays for something and does not happen then god has other ideas and the like.

God can't keep kids from being born encephaletic, can't keep tsunamis from wiping out a quarter of a million people, can't keep a lunatic from sending dozens of kindergartners to their graves with bullets in their heads...

But he has plenty of divine magic juice to compel a man to pick one box out of 40 that contains a defective part?

Probably because its not Gods world any more.

He wasn’t powerful enough to keep it, eh?

Interesting to think about - who did he lose it to? (Or give it to)
Who or what was too powerful for god to resist?

Probably because its not Gods world any more.

More Deus ex Yankum....

When was it ever God's world? I don't think she ever wanted our world, or she would have made it very evident to all of us that she exists. I'm confused by your reply. The OT god was quite a nasty vengeful bastard, guilty of genocide among other things. Was that world god's world? In many ways, things are actually better today compared to the time when the OT was written. Perhaps your reply was meant to be humorous. Please help us understand what in the world you meant by it's not god's world anymore. If I were to believe in a god, it certainly wouldn't be that god of the Christian or Hebrew Holy book.

Aside from the fact that the OP ran away, is there a reason we're discussing these myths in a thread that's remarkably devoid of the myths advertised in the OP?

For that matter, did we ever really learn what an atheistic myth even is? Besides "things Halfie thinks he knows more than actual experts?" But that would be a troll myth, not an atheistic myth.

Aside from the fact that the OP ran away, is there a reason we're discussing these myths in a thread that's remarkably devoid of the myths advertised in the OP?

For that matter, did we ever really learn what an atheistic myth even is? Besides "things Halfie thinks he knows more than actual experts?" But that would be a troll myth, not an atheistic myth.

Hmm....

Atheistic myths... Meaning myths many atheists believe I guess.

I think a big one would be that religious people don't actually believe what they claim to believe, and just go along with it for social acceptance. I used to think and still know many who think most religious people can't ACTUALLY believe that stuff.

God can't keep kids from being born encephaletic, can't keep tsunamis from wiping out a quarter of a million people, can't keep a lunatic from sending dozens of kindergartners to their graves with bullets in their heads...

But he has plenty of divine magic juice to compel a man to pick one box out of 40 that contains a defective part?

You're overlooking the concept of religious "Choseness." This is chosen and that is chosen and this was chosen to happen in this chosen way and that was chosen to happen in that chosen way.

Understand?

But it has nothing to do with free will.

Understand?

Back
Top Bottom