• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fans boo players kneeling during National Anthem

There were only a few boos. The overwhelming majority of people approved of the players' actions.

There were only a few boos. The overwhelming majority of people approved of the players' actions.

Yea, the booers were a minority. I support the players right to kneel. But then people with differing opinions have the right to boo. Who cares.

No, they have the right to be fired from their jobs because they are 'racist'.

Yea, the booers were a minority. I support the players right to kneel. But then people with differing opinions have the right to boo. Who cares.

Everyone has a right to be an asshole. But there's no job protection for assholes.

As an aside: this thread is bizzarre to me. I proudly stand when the anthem is playing at events because I am proud of the country and the opportunities that I've been given. If someone next to me isn't standing, or maybe standing on their head pulling their wanker, I could care less. Why does it bother some (mostly on the right) what other people are doing? The guy pulling his wanker dosn't change my feelings in the least. I don't get it. The players on the court who are kneeling are expressing their belief that the police does not treat black people correctly. Fine with me. Why are people so bothered by this on the right?

As an aside: this thread is bizzarre to me. I proudly stand when the anthem is playing at events because I am proud of the country and the opportunities that I've been given. If someone next to me isn't standing, or maybe standing on their head pulling their wanker, I could care less. Why does it bother some (mostly on the right) what other people are doing? The guy pulling his wanker dosn't change my feelings in the least. I don't get it. The players on the court who are kneeling are expressing their belief that the police does not treat black people correctly. Fine with me. Why are people so bothered by this on the right?
Maybe you're just not an ignorant, xenophobic, racist asshole who can't think beyond his emotions. You deal with it intelligently. For ignorant, xenophobic, racist assholes it's only about feeding my emotions because that's what feels good.

It is not the booing, it is what it represents - that racism is alive and well.

It bothers people, especially when they kneel intentionally, because the people who stand don't want to think that they have what they do because of privilege, and they wish to ignore the realities of how the things you stand and feel pride for, the others (or people they empathize heavily with) do not; they have no reason to feel pride in a country which has not honored the social contract.

They hate kneelers, because it shows that their benefits are built on the backs of others and nobody likes feeling guilty.

As to the people who pick their nose or whatever, I couldn't comment with any surety. I just think some people just couldn't give a shit about anyone but themselves

Can I just say that the players kneeling looks very prayerful to me.

We all know full well why some conservatives are so incensed at a black man protesting. Anything.

It is curious that we play the national anthem before sports events, but not before other large gatherings of people. Like movies, plays, concerts, church, office meetings, etc. I've never been to a political rally, so I don't know about those--I'd guess they start with the Pledge of Allegiance to the nation's flag.

I recall when I became a teenager that it suddenly became uncool to put your hand over your heart during the national anthem. I don't know why--it was just the zeitgeist.

It is curious that we play the national anthem before sports events, but not before other large gatherings of people. Like movies, plays, concerts, church, office meetings, etc. I've never been to a political rally, so I don't know about those--I'd guess they start with the Pledge of Allegiance to the nation's flag.

I recall when I became a teenager that it suddenly became uncool to put your hand over your heart during the national anthem. I don't know why--it was just the zeitgeist.

You should be curious. The DoD funds patriotism in professional man sports as a means of marketing for recruitment. They are not giving millions to concerts.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. People have the right to be racists, and decent people have the right to fire racists.

You should be curious. The DoD funds patriotism in professional man sports as a means of marketing for recruitment. They are not giving millions to concerts.
Movie theaters on military bases always play the anthem at the beginning of a movie. All part of the brainwashing.

Back
Top Bottom