• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fascism in action in Los Angeles County

Jason Harvestdancer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Wiccan
Democratic Los Angeles County, very left and progressive, has done something so bad I can barely believe it.

Boy, 16, was given estrogen for behavioral disorder while in L.A. juvenile hall, suit alleges - Los Angeles Time
Teen boy grew breasts from ‘experimental’ estrogen prescribed in jail, lawsuit says

Parents, of course, not consulted. A lawsuit has been filed.

Why was he given estrogen? To treat Oppositional Defiant Disorder. He didn't respect authority enough.

He's going to need surgery to treat the gynecomastia that he developed, and I would not be surprised if this involved a lot of therapy to treat the other effects.

This is the first time ever that estrogen was used to treat ODD. Other doctors say it absolutely isn't a treatment for ODD.

Medical experimentation on inmates is definitely a very fascist thing to do. On a minor no less. In the left coast no less.

Oh, and before anyone says it, this XY male assigned at birth CIS individual was not suffering any form of gender dysphoria.

The word "fascist" has been very watered down recently. It was getting that way before, but in the last 4 years it has come to mean anyone who doesn't subscribe to the woke mob. But in this case it really does apply in its original form.

Seems like a mistake and isolated incident. I hope anyway, you never really know with the kooks in California.

Newsom is the real deal when it comes to fascism.

It is not fascism, it is some flavor of totalitarianism though.

The word "fascist" has been very watered down recently. It was getting that way before, but in the last 4 years it has come to mean anyone who doesn't subscribe to the woke mob. But in this case it really does apply in its original form.

Is this county policy, though, or just malpractice?

I'm not seeing it. Malpractice maybe, but Fascism?

Definition of fascism -- Merriam Webster.

1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control early instances of army fascism and brutality

So, while everyone here agrees that Trump is a super-hitler ultra-fascist, seeing actual abuses of authority on prisoners doesn't count as fascism.

I am seeing AN actual abuse of authority on A prisoner, (singular). It appears to be a) an isolated case, and b) being investigated with a view to punishing those responsible.

That's not fascism, it's just a somewhat unusual crime.

Now, if this were a systemic issue, with multiple victims, and a lack of action by the authorities (or their active condoning of this crime) then you might have a point.

But as it's not, you don't.

So, while everyone here agrees that Trump is a super-hitler ultra-fascist, seeing actual abuses of authority on prisoners doesn't count as fascism.

I am seeing AN actual abuse of authority on A prisoner, (singular). It appears to be a) an isolated case, and b) being investigated with a view to punishing those responsible.

Ah, I see. The fact that the article says there are other victims of this treatment and that this individual is the first to come forward doesn't count.

Now, if this were a systemic issue, with multiple victims, and a lack of action by the authorities (or their active condoning of this crime) then you might have a point.

The neat thing about a distributed system of government is that one part can do something that another part completely disagrees with.

Wow, that treatment is abhorrent and shocking. That they have done it to multiple people adds to the problem. I’m glad they are investigating it and I hope the people who perpetrated it are immediately, clearly and permanently removed from positions of authority over others and are prosecuted for their crimes.

Reactions: WAB
Ah, I see. The fact that the article says there are other victims of this treatment and that this individual is the first to come forward doesn't count.

The neat thing about a distributed system of government is that one part can do something that another part completely disagrees with.

Correct. It does not count, because this is the first person to come forward. We can address crimes against humanity on an as-discovered basis.

You will not find a liberal or progressive on these forums who would say anything but to investigate this terrible action, find the person responsible, and make sure this doesn't happen again.

But this isn't 'fascism', largely because we all know this kind of shit is wrong, and it seems to be the actions of an isolated few, albeit a few people with power. That's why there is government oversight, after all.

IFF there is no investigation by California AND the government finds nothing was done wrong AND it was done against the consent or under duress THEN AND ONLY THEN would this qualify as fascism.

When you have a government official with no oversight above them taking broad actions against the people and silencing dissent, that is fascism. The government isn't stopping anti mask protestors. It's just telling them to wear a mask as they protest. that's not silencing or even muzzling, just like asking anti-anti-public masturbation protestors to not masturbate in public and cover their genitals, even as they protest their inability to publicly masturbate with their dicks out.

Personally, I think the most anyone should tolerate is that people be able to speak and disrupt in momentary* or sustained* but necessarily Boolean ways.

*These words have specific meanings; It is momentary to tell someone off rudely that they are a complete piece of shit for being such a coward as to want masks to be worn for public health sake, even though such an insult is untrue. It is sustained to block traffic. Both are Boolean because they are completely over when they end. A punch is different insofar as something is irrevocably altered. For that matter, so is a vote.

Is this being presented here as an example of what we can expect in the deregulated Libertarian paradise when doctors will no longer have to kowtow to government to be licensed to practice medicine so that these abuses will never happen? If so you need to flesh out your argument.

If this is an example of fascism, what do call the use of unidentified federal government employees or contractors in Portland arresting often peaceful demonstrators? I would have thought that this government overreach would have put your libertarian, conspiratorial sensibilities into overdrive, not what appears to be a horrible lapse in judgement bordering on a crime by a single doctor.

You seem to be on shaky ground presenting this as an example of fascism, with even less support for your hypothesis than is usual for a far-right white male grievance threads that we have become use to in recent years, which is to say less than none.

Fascism is the far right political philosophy that openly embraces authoritarianism, it is what happens when political reactionaries, like the current Republican party, become more extreme. It is not a synonym for "medical malpractice."

As I understand it, "woke" people are self-defined as those who think for themselves, particularly concerning racism and social justice, are beyond how they are personally affected, who understand how racism and social injustice negatively affects everyone in our society, for example, BLM or antifa.

Or somewhat confusingly for some, it also is used, by self-defined "work" people, to describe those who believe that they benefit from racism and social injustice and view those who don't to be a threat.

You seem to be using "woke" as a pejorative, which doesn't give us an indication of which use of the adjective you intend.

Are you using "work" to mean those who are aware of the damage racism and social injustice do to society or do you mean those who embrace these things for their own benefit?

Is this being presented here as an example of what we can expect in the deregulated Libertarian paradise when doctors will no longer have to kowtow to government to be licensed to practice medicine so that these abuses will never happen?

Government doctors and government correctional institutions are somehow now called libertarian. Got it.

You seem to be on shaky ground presenting this as an example of fascism, with even less support for your hypothesis than is usual for a far-right white male grievance threads that we have become use to in recent years, which is to say less than none.

Fascism is the far right political philosophy that openly embraces authoritarianism, it is what happens when political reactionaries, like the current Republican party, become more extreme. It is not a synonym for "medical malpractice."

You think this is merely medical malpractice?

As I understand it, "woke" people are self-defined as those who think for themselves, particularly concerning racism and social justice, are beyond how they are personally affected, who understand how racism and social injustice negatively affects everyone in our society, for example, BLM or antifa.

I see Woke and Maga as opposite poles of the same unthinking spectrum.

Are you using "work" to mean those who are aware of the damage racism and social injustice do to society or do you mean those who embrace these things for their own benefit?

Obviously not.

Always the rush to call something fascist.. There is more than one type of authoritarian regime. You got fascism, Soviet style communism, military dictatorship, religious theocracy, etc..

Always the rush to call something fascist.. There is more than one type of authoritarian regime. You got fascism, Soviet style communism, military dictatorship, religious theocracy, etc..

...yup, also the prison industrial complex...and individuals.

We should use this tragedy to go after Democrats in California by calling them fascists because we can score political points with it. Why do you hate children??!

Wait, so we're...

Claiming that "woke" people, as a whole, approve of medical experimentation on prisoners without their consent?

That's absurd. I doubt you can even find the customary Twitter nutcase to back up that allegation.

Is this county policy, though, or just malpractice?

Yeah, this sounds like a kook doctor that should lose their license, not like a policy. If it were a policy there would be many cases.

Back
Top Bottom