• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Favorite Paintings?

WAB

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
n/a
Don't know if this has been done before.

My favorite painter is Caravaggio, hands down. This is my favorite of his. It's called "The Inspiration of Saint Matthew."

I like how the angel's hovering motion is captured in the swirling garments. Also, how the angel is the youth (though ancient), and the old man is the intimidated student. Matthew's anxiety is nicely portrayed, and the angel is so casual, emphasizing a certain point, or points, with his/her fingers.

zz.jpg

Anyone got a favorite painting? Post if you can, and maybe a brief description and reason why you like it.

Bruegel's my man. I'm always amazed that someone with his sensibility existed and triumphed when he did. My two favorite Bruegels: Hunters in the Snow -- where he creates the essence of winter -- and Peasant Wedding Feast. I have large repros of these and The Triumph of Death on 3 walls of my library. Triumph of Death -- talk about a 180!!! -- should be viewed with the Dead playing Dark Star with maximum feedback and insect fear in the background.

My very favorite painting is Gustav Klimt's "The Kiss".

800px-The_Kiss_-_Gustav_Klimt_-_Google_Cultural_Institute.jpg

I want to explain why, I really do, but I have never been able to put it into words. I have a print in my study, and I'll just sit there looking at it. Something about it just seems ancient; the perfect archetype. It represents and challenges at the same time all of our dualities; gender, time, distance, life and death, security and penetration. Like many of Klimts works, there are all manner of eyes and other arcane symbols, which look like they are staring out at you. Like I said, I'm not really sure I know how to explain it. It expresses the things I don't know how to say.

Bruegel's my man. I'm always amazed that someone with his sensibility existed and triumphed when he did. My two favorite Bruegels: Hunters in the Snow -- where he creates the essence of winter -- and Peasant Wedding Feast. I have large repros of these and The Triumph of Death on 3 walls of my library. Triumph of Death -- talk about a 180!!! -- should be viewed with the Dead playing Dark Star with maximum feedback and insect fear in the background.

Here is Hunters in the Snow:

qq.jpg

Is this the Peasant Wedding Feast you mean? I am a bit confused as to what work is attributed to the elder or the younger Bruegel. And there seem to be many paintings on the same theme, with similar titles.

111.jpg

Here is The Triumph of Death:

yyy.JPG

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the Brugels!! Yes, that's the Peasant Wedding that hangs in my library. I especially love the little child, who I take to be a girl, eating her porridge on the floor with her little knife tied to her waist, oblivious to the adults, and they to her. Also the plump-faced bride. The reds in the painting stand out. There's so much story in the painting, love it.

Don't think I could pick "a" favorite single painting, but Van Gogh's stuff is at the top of my list. Yeah, it's a pedestrian choice, but when you see his stuff up close in person, the emotionality of the texture and strokes is really impactful.

The Siesta
vincent-van-gogh-18531890-dutch-the-netherlands-the-siesta-love-sleep-F60YC6.jpg

BTW, I dig the gifs this guy creates with Van Gogh's paintings

i-Tried-to-Make-Van-Gogh-Paintings-full-of-life-and-these-are-the-results-5875759f1a199__605.gif

i-Tried-to-Make-Van-Gogh-Paintings-full-of-life-and-these-are-the-results-58757a5a0784b__605.gif

I'm with Ron. My 'favorite' can change by the day.

Lately I've been intrigued by Piet Mondrian.

71hU-kxQVcL._SY550_.jpg

Don't think I could pick "a" favorite single painting, but Van Gogh's stuff is at the top of my list. Yeah, it's a pedestrian choice, but when you see his stuff up close in person, the emotionality of the texture and strokes is really impactful.

The Siesta
vincent-van-gogh-18531890-dutch-the-netherlands-the-siesta-love-sleep-F60YC6.jpg

Pedestrian? Not at all. Van Gogh is well-loved for very good reasons. Honestly, I think he is still ahead of his time. (And I love "Noon Rest from Work" also; as I recall, it made it to the next-to-final round of the Art Battle of the Orsay back in TF days.)

La Jeune Fille et la Mort (1908), Marianne Stokes

za.JPG

The contrast between red and black is striking. And the picture is plain scary.

Back
Top Bottom