• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Federal judge ruled Trump probably guilty of felonies!

WASHINGTON — A federal judge ruled on Monday that former President Donald J. Trump and a lawyer who advised him on how to overturn the 2020 election most likely committed felonies, including obstructing the work of Congress and conspiring to defraud the United States.
The judge’s comments marked a significant breakthrough for the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, which had laid out in a civil filing the crimes it believed Mr. Trump might have committed as it weighs making a criminal referral to the Justice Department.
“The illegality of the plan was obvious,” wrote Judge David O. Carter of the Central District of California. “Our nation was founded on the peaceful transition of power, epitomized by George Washington laying down his sword to make way for democratic elections. Ignoring this history, President Trump vigorously campaigned for the vice president to single-handedly determine the results of the 2020 election.”
The Justice Department has been conducting a wide-ranging investigation of the Capitol assault but has given no public indication that it is considering pursuing a criminal case against Mr. Trump. A criminal referral from the House committee could increase pressure on Attorney General Merrick B. Garland to do so.
Finally! Will it go anywhere?

I'm not saying Trump is really guilty or not because I do not know. But what this reminds me of is the famous Hillary Clinton "lock her up crowd", so sure she was a criminal and ready to meet her justice. Always so sure she would be hooked and sent to jail. Trump even said he was going to lock her up after he became president. But none of this ever happened and none of it is ever going to happen even if Hillary was (is) guilty. You just don't put someone like Hillary in jail and Trump is not going to be put in jail either. I view it all as a bunch of BS.

I expect this will go exactly like that except with the usual reversal of red and blue parties.

As long as people are interested and tuning in to the media this will have served it purpose.
This is indeed one of those rare occasions when the “both sides are the same” arguments are correct.

The Democrats accuse the Republicans of being criminals and call for their imprisonment, because Republicans are actually committing felonies; But at the same time, The Republicans accuse the Democrats of being criminals and call for their imprisonment, for the exact same reason:

Because Republicans are actually committing felonies.

WASHINGTON — A federal judge ruled on Monday that former President Donald J. Trump and a lawyer who advised him on how to overturn the 2020 election most likely committed felonies, including obstructing the work of Congress and conspiring to defraud the United States.
The judge’s comments marked a significant breakthrough for the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, which had laid out in a civil filing the crimes it believed Mr. Trump might have committed as it weighs making a criminal referral to the Justice Department.
“The illegality of the plan was obvious,” wrote Judge David O. Carter of the Central District of California. “Our nation was founded on the peaceful transition of power, epitomized by George Washington laying down his sword to make way for democratic elections. Ignoring this history, President Trump vigorously campaigned for the vice president to single-handedly determine the results of the 2020 election.”
The Justice Department has been conducting a wide-ranging investigation of the Capitol assault but has given no public indication that it is considering pursuing a criminal case against Mr. Trump. A criminal referral from the House committee could increase pressure on Attorney General Merrick B. Garland to do so.

I'm not saying Trump is really guilty or not because I do not know.
THe 1/6 Committee is proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump knew he lost, tried to pressure states to overthrow their elections, then use the Government to overthrow the election, and when the last part was flee'd from by his own people... he posted a tweet about gathering a massive protest on 1/6... before that day, his inner circle were expecting something huge, and on that day, Trump intended to go to the Capitol with his mob.

This is conclusive, from the mouths of people the GOP approved to serve in the Trump Administration.
But what this reminds me of is the famous Hillary Clinton "lock her up crowd", so sure she was a criminal and ready to meet her justice.
Yeah... her emails. We are talking about sedition and treason to the Constitution.

But what this reminds me of is the famous Hillary Clinton "lock her up crowd", so sure she was a criminal and ready to meet her justice.
Her email use wasn't criminal at the time. It is now and there have been numerous violations of that in the Trump administration.

Then you really don't have a fucking clue. Hillary never had the legion of former employees testifying what she did was criminal. Saying that you are comparing apples to oranges doesn't even begin to highlight how much of a false equivalence you are making.

I expect this will go exactly like that except with the usual reversal of red and blue parties.
It is well documented that you are an unconditional Trump supporter. You hope this will go tit for tat. It doesn't look that way, though. Trump knowingly and willingly took the fascist path. Learn to live with that fact.

THe 1/6 Committee is proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump knew he lost, tried to pressure states to overthrow their elections, then use the Government to overthrow the election, and when the last part was flee'd from by his own people... he posted a tweet about gathering a massive protest on 1/6... before that day, his inner circle were expecting something huge, and on that day, Trump intended to go to the Capitol with his mob.

This is conclusive, from the mouths of people the GOP approved to serve in the Trump Administration.
Yeah... her emails. We are talking about sedition and treason to the Constitution.
The relative merits of what Trump did compared to Clinton is not even important.

What Im saying is nothing is ever going to happen to a post POTUS. Many say that Bush 2 should have actually had justice over war crimes....even today Bush can't go to some countries who have convictions against him for crimes against humanity. Are those crimes less than what you believe Trump was did?

Trump is not going anywhere. You and others should just try to deal with it.

The relative merits of what Trump did compared to Clinton is not even important.

What Im saying is nothing is ever going to happen to a post POTUS. Many say that Bush 2 should have actually had justice over war crimes....even today Bush can't go to some countries who have convictions against him for crimes against humanity. Are those crimes less than what you believe Trump was did?

The relative merits are very important. What HRC did was no big deal. 2 of the Trump kiddos did the exact same thing when Trump was president! No one said a word about it. But casting so much doubt about the voting system (especially considering the fact that Trump knew there was no voter fraud); will have a very dire impact on democracy. Currently the republicans in Idaho and Texas still don't believe the election was valid. Put aside your partisanship for a minute, don't you think that is bad? Maybe you want a Trump dictatorship. But would you want an Obama or Biden dictatorship? I don't want any dictatorship. I think that Trump will be remembered as the worst president in history.

Trump even said he was going to lock her up after he became president. But none of this ever happened and none of it is ever going to happen even if Hillary was (is) guilty. You just don't put someone like Hillary in jail and Trump is not going to be put in jail either. I view it all as a bunch of BS.

Then you win, right? You get Trump back for the rest of his life, then his appointed successor - almost certainly his kid - for the rest of your life.
Because your side, no matter how small a minority, has the guns and will use them to make sure they “win” every election no matter the corrupt vote count. When push comes to shove, your side and their ARs AKs and glocks can take care of hundreds of lib’ruls for every one of y’all lost to the vegan commies. Glory.

The one comfort I have is that nearly everything Trump did was considered unprecedented.

Let's hope his conviction is as well.

Trump even said he was going to lock her up after he became president. But none of this ever happened and none of it is ever going to happen even if Hillary was (is) guilty. You just don't put someone like Hillary in jail and Trump is not going to be put in jail either. I view it all as a bunch of BS.

Then you win, right? You get Trump back for the rest of his life, then his appointed successor - almost certainly his kid - for the rest of your life.
Because your side, no matter how small a minority, has the guns and will use them to make sure they “win” every election no matter the corrupt vote count. When push comes to shove, your side and their ARs AKs and glocks can take care of hundreds of lib’ruls for every one of y’all lost to the vegan commies. Glory.
I don't want Trump back anymore than you do. He is too old in the first place and in the second place he is hated by too many like yourself. Even if I agree with his platform he is too corrupt and too hated to be successful as a leader.

As far as our elections go, I have not trusted them since they started using electronic machines to count the votes. Even before the electronic machines, I voted for Al Gore yet Bush somehow got to be president by a court decision. Was that really a fair election? Keeping in mind Gore was found later to have more Florida votes. Of course our elections are rigged and flawed and if you don't think there is enough fraud (both sides) to turn a close election then you are just not paying attention.

If any of us have lost faith in our election system we should strive to improve what we currently have.

And yes the side with the guns could use their guns. But fortunately most of that same side are also the side that believes in police and the rule of law.

Then you shouldn't have compared the two when you said "it reminds me..."
What Im saying is nothing is ever going to happen to a post POTUS.
That much is true. Trump should hang for his crimes that got people killed. But he won't.
Many say that Bush 2 should have actually had justice over war crimes....even today Bush can't go to some countries who have convictions against him for crimes against humanity. Are those crimes less than what you believe Trump was did?
Funny... so umm... now you are comparing the actions of two Presidents again.

Let's get back to the topic... Trump incited a riot that got people killed, in an attempt to overthrow an election's outcome. There is strong evidence that indicates he personally tried to lead his revolution to the Capitol Bldg. We know he knew that it was a lie.
I am. I don't think he'll pay for his crimes.

Even if I agree with his platform he is too corrupt and too hated to be successful as a leader.
His “platform” is:

* make me ruler for life
* I am the law
* democracy is for pussies

If you agree with his platform you’re either an idiot or a traitor or both.

And yes the side with the guns could use their guns. But fortunately most of that same side are also the side that believes in police and the rule of law.
That's exactly the opposite of what we see. The guys with the guns believe the law should be whatever they want and that it's appropriate to use force when they don't get their way. They say they are for the rule of law but that's not how it plays out.

That's exactly the opposite of what we see. The guys with the guns believe the law should be whatever they want and that it's appropriate to use force when they don't get their way. They say they are for the rule of law but that's not how it plays out.
The “rule of law” is whatever the dictator says it is. There’s nothing contradictory in the fascist mind about using extreme and unjust violence to get what you want, while simultaneously advocating ‘rule of law’, because to a fascist, these are different ways of describing the exact same thing.

I don't want Trump back anymore than you do. He is too old in the first place and in the second place he is hated by too many like yourself. Even if I agree with his platform he is too corrupt and too hated to be successful as a leader.

As far as our elections go, I have not trusted them since they started using electronic machines to count the votes. Even before the electronic machines, I voted for Al Gore yet Bush somehow got to be president by a court decision. Was that really a fair election? Keeping in mind Gore was found later to have more Florida votes. Of course our elections are rigged and flawed and if you don't think there is enough fraud (both sides) to turn a close election then you are just not paying attention.

If any of us have lost faith in our election system we should strive to improve what we currently have.

I actually totally agree with you. Our election system sucks. We should find a way to make the system far easier and easier to confirm. Every county in the US has a different voting system. Every one! That's insane. There are 3,006 systems. Nuts. There should be one system, that is fair and easy to proof.

There should be one system, that is fair and easy to proof.
One of our two major political parties refuses to go there, for the same reason that they oppose every effort to make elections fair; they would lose fair elections.

Mandatory voting would immediately cure many of our ills. But that would also cost the minority their rule.

"How many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome: good government? They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people. They never have been from the beginning of our country, and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."
- Paul Weyrauch, co-founder of the Heritage Foundation

Former President Donald Trump's lawyers asked a court on Wednesday to rule that he has "absolute immunity" from lawsuits related to the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Trump is appealing a February ruling by U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta that the former president can be sued for damages stemming from the Jan. 6 attack, rejecting Trump's claim of immunity because his actions that day were "plausibly words of incitement not protected by the First Amendment" or presidential immunity.

Trump's lawyers on Wednesday asked the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals to reverse the ruling, again arguing that Trump has "absolutely presidential immunity."

"President Trump is shielded by absolute presidential immunity because his statements were on matters of public concern and therefore well within the scope of the robust absolute immunity afforded all presidents," his lawyers said in a filing first flagged by Politico's Josh Gerstein.

"No amount of hyperbole about the violence of January 6, 2021, provides a basis for this Court to carve out an exception to the constitutional separation of powers," the brief added.

Trump faces civil lawsuits from Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., two Capitol Police officers and a group of House Democrats accusing him of inciting the insurrection.

Back
Top Bottom