• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fiction shapes/changes people's beliefs about the real world

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
It is common to hear people (including on this board) defend morally or factually questionable films, music, video games, and other art forms by saying something like "Its only fiction, and people know that." While I don't support censorship of such fiction, I have often argued against this defense because I am aware that the brain does not have a "fiction" lock-box in which it confines all fiction-based stimuli, and am aware of the mountain of psychological experiments that show that people's exposure to stimuli within fictional film are artistic painting alter how they feel and react to real world events.

A recent experiment takes the evidence a step further and shows that fiction can often impact what people believe about the real world, even moreso than non-fiction, factual information.

This experiment had people read a 20 page fictional story about a Professor getting kidnapped and several of his students set out to find him. During the story, the students casually discuss numerous topics, making objectively false claims without bothering to argue in support of them. The comments are not about things central to the plot, just topics that happen to arise in the details of the story. The claims contradicted beliefs that most people hold strongly and are objectively true / highly supported by current science. The false claims made in the story included things like:

Tooth brushing is bad for your teeth and gums.
Yearly health check-ups do not help to diagnose diseases early.
Unprotected sunbathing is good for your skin.
Exercising is bad for your heart and lungs.
Psychological disorders are are contagious.

Control group read a different 20 page fictional story that did not address any of these topics. After reading, all people reported their personal beliefs on each of these claims. The average beliefs of the people who read the control story served as the baseline measure, indicating what people believe who aren't exposed to false ideas about those topics in a work of fiction.
They found that people had about 5% weaker agreement with the objectively true statements after reading the fictional story that contradicted those claims than if they had read a story that had nothing to do with those topics.

What is even more interesting is that this weakening/change in their beliefs doubled in magnitude to about 10% after two weeks had passed and they were asked again without mentioning the context of the story. This makes psychological sense, because other evidence shows that people will remember info and ideas later on but forget the context and source from where they encountered it. The ideas as just activated in their brain and people cannot tell the difference between an idea they heard from fiction or real life. So, the impact gets stronger as people forget the connection to the fictional story.

In addition, they had a third group read the fiction story but they told them it was a real non-fiction account of events. When people read the story as though it was claiming something true, they did not change their beliefs, arguably because they read it with a more critical mindset and consciously evaluated and rejected the false claims. IOW, fiction can have more influence on beliefs than non-fiction because when people read fiction, they suspend disbelief and do not try to evaluate information that their real world knowledge says is wrong. As a consequence, their brain processes the ideas uncritically and they get stored and later activated in a manner that winds up subtly changing people's beliefs about the real world without them being aware of it.

The effect in this study was small and people did not switch to the opposite position on the issues, just weakened their prior belief. But this is just after reading one short story. Tons of fiction over many years could plausibly amount to a greater influence than the real life relevant experiences people have on some topics. Thus, it is plausible they could take a position promoted by fiction even though their limited real life experiences should tell them the opposite is true.

BTW, this is just one experiment. It references several other similar experiments that support the conclusion that fiction impacts people's beliefs about the real world.

More on the same fascinating topic:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfyoDgszas0[/YOUTUBE]

Religion leans heavily on use of this tactic to alter people's perception of reality.

A recent experiment takes the evidence a step further and shows that fiction can often impact what people believe about the real world, even moreso than non-fiction, factual information.

This experiment had people read a 20 page fictional story about a Professor getting kidnapped and several of his students set out to find him. During the story, the students casually discuss numerous topics, making objectively false claims without bothering to argue in support of them. The comments are not about things central to the plot, just topics that happen to arise in the details of the story. The claims contradicted beliefs that most people hold strongly and are objectively true / highly supported by current science. The false claims made in the story included things like:

Um, I think their experiment just proved that that last one is not an objectively false claim. :devil:

Um, I think their experiment just proved that that last one is not an objectively false claim. :devil:

Maybe the "are are" in that sentence was a typo that he meant to be "are not". Ronburgundy?

Last edited:

Maybe the "are are" in that sentence was a typo that he meant to be "are not". Ronburgundy?

No, just an extra "are". The claim is false because psychological disorders are not contagious. Bomb #20 was just being facetious.

No, just an extra "are". The claim is false because psychological disorders are not contagious. Bomb #20 was just being facetious.
I'm not too sure about that. I had a crazy aunt that drove me crazy whenever I had to spend any length of time with her. :D

Hey man, can you show in what way current science strongly supports the contention that believing totally boneheaded nonsense doesn't qualify as a psychological disorder? :innocent1:

It seems reasonable to think that when one is exposed to alternative ideas, as long as they are comprehensible, one's own perception of what is possible is expanded.

Hey man, can you show in what way current science strongly supports the contention that believing totally boneheaded nonsense doesn't qualify as a psychological disorder? :innocent1:

When the idea in question does not conflict with their currently held notions of reality. One cannot control WHAT people hold as real, though.

It seems reasonable to think that when one is exposed to alternative ideas, as long as they are comprehensible, one's own perception of what is possible is expanded.

This goes beyond that. This suggests that people update their beliefs about what is not just possible but what is real and what has actually happened when they hear fictional stories. Basically, we let down our mental guard when processing fiction, so the info just gets stored in long term memory without being tagged as dubious. Later, when something prompts us to examine what we believe about something (or how we feel about groups of people), the originally fictional info get activated and impacts those assessments without any conscious awareness that they are doing so and little ability to impede such effects.

This goes beyond that. This suggests that people update their beliefs about what is not just possible but what is real and what has actually happened when they hear fictional stories. Basically, we let down our mental guard when processing fiction, so the info just gets stored in long term memory without being tagged as dubious. Later, when something prompts us to examine what we believe about something (or how we feel about groups of people), the originally fictional info get activated and impacts those assessments without any conscious awareness that they are doing so and little ability to impede such effects.
That makes sense. My observations have led me to the conclusion that humans love to fantasize and pretend. The only thing that keeps that in check is the reality outside the brain. Religion is mental illness lite. There really aren't any invisible space creatures interested in our sex organs as Christians believe, for example, but they can still pretend. Religion qualifies as illness because they actually hold that the space creature is real, that an old man built a big boat with animals, etc.

But if I went to see LOTR I don't really believe it's real, even though I can still enjoy the experience of fantasy. Fantasizing must be good for the brain, like dreaming.

That makes sense. My observations have led me to the conclusion that humans love to fantasize and pretend. The only thing that keeps that in check is the reality outside the brain. Religion is mental illness lite. There really aren't any invisible space creatures interested in our sex organs as Christians believe, for example, but they can still pretend. Religion qualifies as illness because they actually hold that the space creature is real, that an old man built a big boat with animals, etc.

But if I went to see LOTR I don't really believe it's real, even though I can still enjoy the experience of fantasy. Fantasizing must be good for the brain, like dreaming.

Right. You're not going to start believing that dragons currently exist from watching LOTR, because you have so much real world knowledge that says they don't. However, the subtle things that happen between the characters could alter the way you view social interactions, the coherence and good-vs-bad simplicity of fictional characters (even when non-human) can make you view real people in more simplistic moral terms, the minor events within the story could change what you think about their real-world correlates. For example, someone that reads lots of romance novels will have views about people and romance that are subtly distorted by the common tropes of that genre, even though they may fully realize its unrealistic fiction and only read to "escape".
The effects isn't in thinking the major elements of the story are real or happened, just the subtle elements that are party of the story that you don't really think much about while immersed in the fictional experience. In fact, evidence from related studies suggests that the more a person in immersed in the narrative and thus away from "reality" during the experience, the more the subtle ideas and assumptions of the fictional world impact their ideas and assumptions about reality.

This could explain why, in behavioural economics experiments, only economists behave as predicted by economics.

Back
Top Bottom