• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

Jimmy

I'll bet that there is only 1 chance in 50 times that shot goes in the goal, and only if the goalie is out of position. That is certainly not a trick played by the offense. The goalie clearly saw the ball coming.......but wasn't prepared. She also stumbled, and would have stopped the ball (most likely) if she had not. Stumbling is not a trick.....

And finally, talk about humiliation, the USA team headed a ball into its own net.....essentially giving back the goal that you are complaining about.

- hyzer

Jimmy

How do you define "trick shot"? Kicking from mid-field is pretty much giving up the ball and is precisely taking it easy. It was only a goal because the Japanese goal keeper misplayed an easy ball and stumbled. This was not a trick or cheap shot at all.

I agree. Not a cheap shot at all. It was a masterful shot.

Take a look...

Not feel good... the point is not to humiliate them.

4-0 up by half time is not a humiliation. If it had been 6-0 with two minutes left in the game, then maybe don't take the shot. No mercy at this level, it's not AYSO.

And who didn't enjoy Brazil's 7-1 thumping at the hands of Germany in the last World Cup ? Now that's a right doing.

As Michael J 'Crocodile' Dundee would say, "That's not a thumping. This is a thumping".

Wikipedia said:
On 11 April 2001, the Australian and American Samoa national association football teams played each other in a qualifying match for the 2002 FIFA World Cup. The match was played at the International Sports Stadium in Coffs Harbour, Australia. Australia set a world record for the largest victory in an international football match, winning the game 31–0. Australia's Archie Thompson also broke the record for most goals scored by a player in an international match by scoring 13 goals. David Zdrilic, the scorer of eight goals in the match, achieved the second highest number of goals in an international match since World War I.

(For the record, the score at half-time was 16-0. There was not a single foul in the entire game; No free kicks or cards were handed out by the Tahitian referee).

I agree. Not a cheap shot at all. It was a masterful shot.

Take a look...
Screw that Beckham crap.
[YOUTUBE]WJIvSyrH4Ng[/YOUTUBE]

And of course you could always go longer and more American... though this wasn't intended to be a shot.
[youtube]i4SbJpQPA40[/youtube]

What an odd game. The fourth goal looked a bit unsportsman like, to go from half field when already up 3-0 that early, but it ended up being an important goal. Japan did well to keep the game interesting. A really wide open match up and the US team finally started scoring on opportunities unlike most of the rest of the World Cup tourney. I don't think any team was within their level this year, but the score lines up to the Final didn't reflect their dominance, other than the clean sheets.

What was unsportsmanlike about it? She had an opportunity to score and took it. The score at the time wasn't relevant. This is the World Cup, after all, and not Pee Wee league.

Jimmy, what kind of crap is that it was unsporstman like?

And what is wrong with Beckham's goals? Nothing.

Last edited:
By the way...Sunday’s final -- a 5-2 defeat of Japan -- was the most-viewed soccer game in U.S. history! Yet they pay the women a small fraction of what they pay the men...

That ain't right...

What was unsportsmanlike about it? She had an opportunity to score and took it. The score at the time wasn't relevant. This is the World Cup, after all, and not Pee Wee league.
At the point the goal was scored, Japan were being trounced. It seemed like an unnecessary shot. Few seem to agree with me, so I can accept most people see nothing wrong with it. I don't know if people (Americans) would have felt the same if Japan went up 4-0 on it.

Other than they were scored by Beckham. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way...Sunday’s final -- a 5-2 defeat of Japan -- was the most-viewed soccer game in U.S. history! Yet they pay the women a small fraction of what they pay the men...

That ain't right...
The US Japan game was unbelievably open, pretty much guaranteed with the rout early on. Copa America final 0-0 and went to penalty shots. You typically won't see a men's final like that. I'm having a hard time thinking of the last time I saw a final that open. Alves v Liverpool in the UEFA Cup final in '00 or '01 was.

At the point the goal was scored, Japan were being trounced. It seemed like an unnecessary shot. Few seem to agree with me, so I can accept most people see nothing wrong with it. I don't know if people (Americans) would have felt the same if Japan went up 4-0 on it.

- - - Updated - - -

That ain't right...
The US Japan game was unbelievably open, pretty much guaranteed with the rout early on. Copa America final 0-0 and went to penalty shots. You typically won't see a men's final like that. I'm having a hard time thinking of the last time I saw a final that open. Alves v Liverpool in the UEFA Cup final in '00 or '01 was.

Regarding long range shots, every shot is fair game, including Beckham's shots, regardless of his personality...

Regarding women's salaries, http://www.aol.com/article/2015/07/06/winning-womens-soccer-team-is-paid-less-than-losing-mens-team/21205592/

The issue is with your definition of "unecessary shot". They were in the middle of the game and the player saw herself with an opportunity to make a goal while the goalie was out of position and took it. If she'd waited until she was closer to the goal, the goalie would have had time to get back into position and the scoring opportunity would have vanished. Do you feel that this is what she should have done?

Do you think that there was no chance at all that the US team had the skill to score three goals in the time remaining in the game? If that chance exists (and given that they scored two of the three in that time, it's safe to say it does), what is your rationale for saying that the Japanese players should have stopped playing at 100% of their ability (which is the claim that you're making when you say that they should pass on scoring opportunities)?

- - - Updated - - -

That ain't right...
Regarding long range shots, every shot is fair game, including Beckham's shots, regardless of his personality...
The vids you and I posted were of games with different contexts than the World Cup final. The question is, is it fair to take advantage of a out of place keeper after scoring three goals in less than ten minutes and the game's outcome is seemingly set in stone? Most (everyone but me?) seem to think it is fine. It was only in the 14th minute and the game did tighten up, and that goal gave the US important padding for a 4-2 instead of 3-2 lead.

But I see another side where you are beating a team badly, taking advantage of a keeper's position who isn't expecting a shot to be taken can be seen as unsportsmanlike.

I can understand the World Cup being lower than then Men's, but 15 times less?! Is there that little money being taken in at the gate, advertising, bribes, etc... in the women's verses the men's?

The vids you and I posted were of games with different contexts than the World Cup final. The question is, is it fair to take advantage of a out of place keeper after scoring three goals in less than ten minutes and the game's outcome is seemingly set in stone? Most (everyone but me?) seem to think it is fine. It was only in the 14th minute and the game did tighten up, and that goal gave the US important padding for a 4-2 instead of 3-2 lead.

But I see another side where you are beating a team badly, taking advantage of a keeper's position who isn't expecting a shot to be taken can be seen as unsportsmanlike.

Yes. Yes, it's wholely appropriate. You don't start half-assing it and ignore scoring opportunities when you have a lead. It's the championship match so you play as hard as you can for every second of game time.

What's unsportsmanlike is to treat the other team like they're not talented professionals who deserve your best effort against them.

When it's 5-2 with 10 minutes left, maybe pass the ball around a little if you can.

Notice the US score within 2 minutes of the own goal. To be honest, I think they were holding back some. Once 4-0 became 4-2, they pushed harder and suddenly it was 5-2.

Now this team deserves some sympathy;

The Federated States of Micronesia suffered their third record defeat when they were thrashed 46-0 by Vanuatu in an Olympic qualifying tournament on Tuesday.

Jean Kaltack was Vanuatu’s top scorer, scoring 16 goals in the win for the country ranked 200 in the world and the defeat, with Vanuatu 24-0 up at half-time, means that Micronesia have now conceded 114 goals over their last three matches.

Guardian

There is some video of a few of the goals at the linked article. Dear oh dear, boys against men indeed.

I can understand the World Cup being lower than then Men's, but 15 times less?! Is there that little money being taken in at the gate, advertising, bribes, etc... in the women's verses the men's?

And on top of that, they make the women play on artificial turf (increased injuries), while men play on natural grass. Some would call it "gender discrimination"...

When it's 5-2 with 10 minutes left, maybe pass the ball around a little if you can.

Notice the US score within 2 minutes of the own goal. To be honest, I think they were holding back some. Once 4-0 became 4-2, they pushed harder and suddenly it was 5-2.
I don't they were. I think Japan finally stopped the flood gates a bit. But they were a bit open, desperate to pull within 4-3 and the US was able to take advantage. I don't think there has been a better World Cup final, men or women.

Now this team deserves some sympathy;

The Federated States of Micronesia suffered their third record defeat when they were thrashed 46-0 by Vanuatu in an Olympic qualifying tournament on Tuesday.

Jean Kaltack was Vanuatu’s top scorer, scoring 16 goals in the win for the country ranked 200 in the world and the defeat, with Vanuatu 24-0 up at half-time, means that Micronesia have now conceded 114 goals over their last three matches.

Guardian

There is some video of a few of the goals at the linked article. Dear oh dear, boys against men indeed.

The FSM has a population of about 100,000; that implies somewhere around 8,000 males between 18 and 23 (the Olympic tournament is for under 23s), as the total talent pool for the team to draw upon. Of these, around 650 players are registered; 150 adults and around 500 juniors; There are five football pitches in the country, of which only one (built for the FSM games in 2001) is a regulation sized ground with lights and stands; That ground is in the state of Yap, which has one football team - the distance to the other islands in the FSM is too great for regular matches against other states of the federation, so they play ad-hoc games against teams from visiting ships.

It seems unlikely that they will win the World Cup any time soon; However I would suggest that, as atheists, many members of this board should naturally be supporters of the FSM, and I am wondering if there is any FSM branded team merchandise we could purchase - which could serve the dual purposes of being as cool as fuck, and helping to finance football development in the islands.

They were tearing Japan a new one. Up 3 nil that early in a game and to then take a trick shot from half field? There is a thing in sportsmanship where you are not supposed to embarrass your opponents, especially in a final.
The Japanese keeper was way off her line. The game was not even 20 minutes old, so it was not a lock. She took a chance to take advantage of poor play by the keeper and it played out. Now, if the score is 3 - 0 with 11 minutes to go, I'd say you have a point.

Back
Top Bottom