• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

First Sighting Of An Albino Chimp In The Wild; Then Murdered By Other Chimps

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The ape, vilest of beasts, how like us!
Quintus Ennius (239 B.C. – 169 B.C.)

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-a...lbino-chimp-in-the-wild-and-his-tragic-death/

extra_large-1626692485-albino-chimp.jpg

Among the dense forests of Uganda, researchers have observed the first known case of a wild chimpanzee with albinism. Tragically, however, the group quickly turned on the white-furred infant and his mother, killing him in a brutal and vicious attack.

The observation was recently documented in the American Journal of Primatology by a team from the University of Zürich in Switzerland and the Budongo Conservation Field Station.

Jane Goodall discovered that her warm fuzzy chimps were not so warm and fuzzy.

Chimps from one troop would select and hunt down a particular chimp from another troop. kill it, and eat it.

Some humans have advanced beyond this.

No human was born beyond this.

This is what humans are without culture and the accumulated work of many minds in the past.

The problem is every child is born primitive and not all are domesticated effectively.

Humans are killing each other all the time.

They just arrested some former Miami football player accused of shooting one of his teammates in the head 15 years ago.

Brutal and Vicious attack is interesting wording. One might re-word it to: troop quickly ends life of child that won't survive long-term.

Jane Goodall discovered that her warm fuzzy chimps were not so warm and fuzzy.

Chimps from one troop would select and hunt down a particular chimp from another troop. kill it, and eat it.

Seems rather dismissive. Murders sometimes happen, therefore we should consider chimpanzee society irredeemably violent? They have their warm and fuzzy moments as well: loving parents, grief for the dead, friendships lasting decades, innovation to solve problems and daily hours of play and mutual grooming.

I note that in this case, the troop was divided on what to do about the situation, not "instinctively murderous" so much as socially disrupted by an unexpected event, with some individuals accepting UP and her child and others fearful and unhappy, treating her similarly to tthe way stranger females are treated when they join a new troop (a path that nearly always ends in infanticide and often enough retributive cannibalism). But the "nay" party included the current lead male, and he resolved the issue violently after about three weeks of conflict.

Communal life is a chequered and complicated thing, for any social organism.

Murder i s a human term. Seeing chimps in terms of hu,an behavior is an anthropomorphism.

Locking at it from the chimps point of view we are advanced chimps. Aggressive, combative, fleeces throwing critters. Chimps fling feces ate each other when angry. Chimps are hierarchical and sttaus can depend on who the moter is.

Humans are chimp ike.

I have seen ducks shingle out a particular duck and force it out of the group. A bird watcher told e crows do the same thing.

Goodall did great work, but she was criticized for being too close.

There have ben cases where pet chimps have turned on owners. Fingers bitten off. One had an arm torn off.

Murder i s a human term.
Says who? I'd consider any socially motivated but controversial killing a murder, at least a murder of sorts.

Seeing chimps in terms of human behavior is an anthropomorphism
This is certainly true. I don't really appreciate when people overstress the connection between our species, as several have done even in this thread. Despite our shared genetic heritager, there are 11 million years and deeply variant circumstances separating our presentation of the primate geneset and theirs. We aren't "advanced chimps", just "different apes"

Retributive fanticicde and intragroup conflict are not unique to humans, however; these are practices found among all primates. Painting artificial boundaries around our species is also a mental bias, itself a manifestation of anthropocentrism; we are not a unique product of the divine genius but members or a complex biotic community with many shared attributes.

Brutal and Vicious attack is interesting wording. One might re-word it to: troop quickly ends life of child that won't survive long-term.

They can't know that.

All they know is the thing is so different it is not one of them.

If it could survive long enough to learn the culture and have a personality they might think differently.

Natural selection in action.

Does a white furred member of the group put the group at risk? Have groups that killed such members been selected for because groups that did not kill white members did not survive?

Retributive fanticicde and intragroup conflict are not unique to humans, however; these are practices found among all primates. Painting artificial boundaries around our species is also a mental bias, itself a manifestation of anthropocentrism; we are not a unique product of the divine genius but members or a complex biotic community with many shared attributes.

Might = right.
Is that what you are saying?

Might = right.

??? What does that have to do with my post? :confused:

Might = right.

??? What does that have to do with my post? :confused:

I was thinking of too many things when I posted that. Sorry.

Natural selection in action.

Does a white furred member of the group put the group at risk? Have groups that killed such members been selected for because groups that did not kill white members did not survive?
That would invoke group selection, which is unlikely to be the driving force here.

Back
Top Bottom