• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

First they came for the anti-fascists

Hmmm...the top two categories maybe should be combined into a Conservative category.

YES. THANK YOU.

Why does nobody say out loud that Islamism is a far-right ideology?
What? People say that ALL THE TIME!

One big example going back 20 years or so, ever since 'Taliban' became a household word, comments have been made about how a politician or political movement tallies nicely with the Taliban's goals. Suggestions for certain people to move to Islamic nations where they can enjoy the benefits of a theocracy.

Hmmm...the top two categories maybe should be combined into a Conservative category.

YES. THANK YOU.

Why does nobody say out loud that Islamism is a far-right ideology?

One big example going back 20 years or so, ever since 'Taliban' became a household word, comments have been made about how a politician or political movement tallies nicely with the Taliban's goals. Suggestions for certain people to move to Islamic nations where they can enjoy the benefits of a theocracy.

True, that has been a part of the commentary. However, it hasn't made its way into official reporting of terrorism, as Raven's chart shows. Islamist terrorism is a subset of far-right extremism, but it's always given a separate bar.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/08/17/are-antifa-and-the-alt-right-equally-violent/

The alt-right is far more organized and has greater access to the political mainstream than their less-organized cohorts on the hard left who do not enjoy or do not have the same structure or access into the political mainstream. Both are anti-establishments and socio-political entities that can radicalize constituents to violence but the alt-right just as an organism is far larger, more sophisticated and more able to participate in the political mainstream, particularly through messaging.
Marilyn Mayo, senior research fellow for the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, said that statistics show that radical leftists have been dramatically less likely to kill people than their counterparts on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Over the past decade, extremists of every stripe have killed 372 Americans. 74 percent of those killings were committed by right wing extremists. Only 2 percent of those deaths were at the hands of left wing extremists. Mayo told us:

From what I've read, Antifa isn't even an organized movement and some small groups of Antifa, have nothing in common with other groups that refer to themselves as Antifa. Trying to compare far left violence wit far right violence is absurd. While I condemn any of this violence, I do think that Antifa, at least has better goals in mind. Most of them have no desire to commit violence. I don't know if we can say the same thing about far right organizations.

This most recent shooter was only 19 and I'm pretty sure he suffered from some serious mental disturbances. Your brain isn't even fully formed at that age. What's sad to me, is that the hardcore far right nut jobs are often able to influence otherwise innocent teens who have emotional problems. That's how I see this last, horrible episode. Social media has enabled the worst to have a voice, and social media often brings out the worst in people. I

True, that has been a part of the commentary. However, it hasn't made its way into official reporting of terrorism, as Raven's chart shows. Islamist terrorism is a subset of far-right extremism, but it's always given a separate bar.

So, people ARE saying it, you're aware they're saying it, so by 'nobody say out loud' you mean they don't graph it the same way you would...

Trump threatened to classify Antifa as a terrorist group. Germans hit back

But the call prompted a flurry of tweets in the US and in Germany, where #IchBinAntifa -- I am Antifa -- started trending on Twitter.
Several users who used the hashtag referenced Germany's history of fascism and anti-fascist resistance during the Nazi period.

[...]

Antifa, whose name is short for "anti-fascist," have become increasingly visible since the Charlottesville protests in 2017, when white nationalists rallied against the removal of a Gen. Robert E. Lee statue, and the Antifa mounted a counter-demonstration that turned violent. Trump infamously said in the aftermath that there were "very fine people" on both sides.

The term is used to define a broad group of people whose political beliefs lean toward the left -- often the far left -- but do not conform with the Democratic Party platform.

It's the #1 trending hashtag on Twitter in Germany right now. My favorite:

hifascism.JPG

Then maybe we should not politicize things if we don't have the details.
Most of the mass murders have been 'senseless' random or work targets. Yes, far right-wing related hate crime has elevated and people are quite comfortable coming out with their positions, but you are guilty of hyperbole regarding the "astonishing regularity" of "right-wing mass murder".

By the way, almost no mass shootings are apolitical. Virtually none.
School shootings, workplace shootings, and Las Vegas round out the most common. Those weren't political.

Anyway...
As in, 'yeah, I guess you are right, I was exaggerating'.
...it's now becoming clear that the garlic festival shooter was indeed a white supremacist.
Has the account been officially connected to him?
The book he referenced in the Instagram post is required reading for Nazis and wannabes everywhere, about how only the strong should survive and how certain races are stronger than others (and how certain people within a race are stronger than others, hence his disdain for the "silicon valley whites"). This is textbook right-wing fascism. Nobody in the US government cares. But if he was pelted with an egg while intimidating immigrants, the person who threw the egg would be designated a domestic terrorist by Cruz's proposed resolution.
So a white supremacist opened fire on whites?

Anyway...
As in, 'yeah, I guess you are right, I was exaggerating'.
...it's now becoming clear that the garlic festival shooter was indeed a white supremacist.
Has the account been officially connected to him?
The book he referenced in the Instagram post is required reading for Nazis and wannabes everywhere, about how only the strong should survive and how certain races are stronger than others (and how certain people within a race are stronger than others, hence his disdain for the "silicon valley whites"). This is textbook right-wing fascism. Nobody in the US government cares. But if he was pelted with an egg while intimidating immigrants, the person who threw the egg would be designated a domestic terrorist by Cruz's proposed resolution.

It is possible he is a white supremacist and that he decided to randomly murder people. Although, Gilroy has a large "Hispanic or Latino" population.

It is not uncommon for white supremacists to refer to whites who do not share their ideology as "race traitors", which then allows them to make those other whites targets of their hate. That would include targeting them with the violent expressions of said hate.

It is not uncommon for white supremacists to refer to whites who do not share their ideology as "race traitors", which then allows them to make those other whites targets of their hate. That would include targeting them with the violent expressions of said hate.
And that is quite possible. It is also possible he was mentally unstable and just did something awful.

But I am glad we have all finally moved on from ever hoping gun legislation would be a part of the solution. We are just discussing why this guy killed these people, instead of why he was allowed to have a weapon like he did. That's progress. Not good progress, but the road to Hell is paved with bad progress. We have come to grips with "the new normal". God bless America and bullets.

And that is quite possible. It is also possible he was mentally unstable and just did something awful.

But I am glad we have all finally moved on from ever hoping gun legislation would be a part of the solution. We are just discussing why this guy killed these people, instead of why he was allowed to have a weapon like he did. That's progress. Not good progress, but the road to Hell is paved with bad progress. We have come to grips with "the new normal". God bless America and bullets.

The entire point of my raising the issue of Gilroy is that nobody in Congress is taking far-right white nationalist terrorism seriously as a problem deserving of its own strategy or agency, but a movement that has claimed zero lives is on track to being designated as a terrorist group.

In the aftermath of Charlottesville, the man who drove his car into a crowd of protesters and killed Heather Heyer was just sentenced to life in prison. Heather was an anti-racist civil right activist.

As Heather, Courtney, and Marissa made the left turn, they heard shouts from an antifa group behind them, chanting, “We got ya back, we got ya back.” Truth be told, Heather was new to this kind of situation. The day before, she had asked her best friend what “antifa” stood for — it’s short for anti-fascist — after hearing the group would be protesting Unite the Right. But Heather’s friends said she and they felt then, for the first time since the weekend began, unified and strong.

According to Ted Cruz, the FBI should be dedicating special time and resources investigating people like Heather instead of people like her murderer.

Nice dodge. Please define what you mean by "in antifa"

People who are willing to brutally assault a center-right gay Asian reporter are in antifa.

Seems like an extremely small, highly specialized group that might better be referred to by less generalized name, and who would not require a bill floated in the US Senate to deal with them.

Nice dodge. Please define what you mean by "in antifa"

People who are willing to brutally assault a center-right gay Asian reporter are in antifa.

Seems like an extremely small, highly specialized group that might better be referred to by less generalized name, and who would not require a bill floated in the US Senate to deal with them.
Agreed. Seems like an organization that has a mission statement of brutally assaulting a singular center-right gay Asian reporter is really not much of a threat to anyone but that reporter. And if that reporter was already assaulted it is fait accompli at that point.

Not that I support assaulting reporters. Though, I don't recall Jason saying the GOP should be a terrorist group after a US House representative assaulted a white male reporter (sexual orientation unknown). He wasn't told to resign, or to stop running. In fact, Trump applauded it. "Any guy who can do a body slam, he is my type!" So this kind of feels like Jason's typical Super Libertarian Man coming to save the day to remind us that the left-wing is 'just as bad', when in fact, it isn't even close.

Back
Top Bottom