• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Flat Broke, Black Voters Want More Than Just Another Black President

poster

Basic Beliefs
none
It's funny that the people I've noticed to be most appreciative of the Obama presidency are white.

Black and Mechee X’s critiques are representative of the ennui and even hostility that characterizes African Americans’ response to the possibility of the nation’s second Black president, which is largely attributable to the fact that while we were distracted celebrating the first, someone walked into our homes and almost literally stole everything we own. Not since a severe financial downturn shuttered the Freedman’s Bank in 1874 have African Americans lost as much of our wealth as we did during Barack Obama’s eight years in office. Household wealth for the median Black family in the U.S. nosedived during the Obama administration, reaching roughly $3,600 in 2017, or about 2 percent of the $147,000 median net worth for an average white family, according to a study of Federal Reserve data compiled by the Institute for Policy Studies. More than a third of all African-American families have zero or negative wealth, while the typical Black family in Boston has a net worth of all of $8.

That yawning racial wealth gap certainly did not begin on Obama’s watch, but his administration’s handling of the 2008 financial meltdown essentially erased all of the savings and investments accrued to a generation of African Americans. Central to that economic crisis was the proliferation of high-interest home loans, or subprime mortgages, which triggered the collapse of the global real estate market. An analysis by the Economic Policy Institute of data compiled at the zenith of the real estate boom found that 53 percent of all Black borrowers were issued subprime loans, compared to 47 percent of Latinos and a quarter of white borrowers. In New York City, African-American home buyers in 2006 were four times more likely than whites to be saddled with a subprime mortgage, wrote Columbia University sociologist Saskia Sassen in the book White Collar Criminals and the Financial Meltdown, citing data compiled by New York University’s Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy. Meanwhile, another study found that between 2004 and 2008, only 6.2 percent of white borrowers with a credit score of 660 or higher received a subprime loan while the rate for Black borrowers with similar credit scores was 21.4 percent. In fact, the lending disparities actually widened when households with higher incomes were compared, meaning that an African-American family earning more than $200,000 a year was more likely to be given a subprime loan than a white family making less than $30,000 annually, leaving New York University Sociology Professor Jacob Faber to conclude that borrowers of color were targeted not because they were credit risks, but because they weren’t.

https://truthout.org/articles/flat-broke-black-voters-want-more-than-just-another-black-president/

You finally got me to look up a contention I heard about the Norman and Saxon descendants and their relative wealth.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/dec/17/high-house-prices-inequality-normans

Nearly four years ago, I began writing a novel, set in the aftermath of the Norman conquest of 1066. Before I began to write, I spent six months sitting in the Bodleian library poring over books and journals to familiarise myself with the period. I soon realised that, apart from the story of the Battle of Hastings that everyone learns at school, I knew hardly anything about the impact of the conquest. I began to understand, too, how much of that impact is still with us.

By the end of the process, I had come to a slightly disquieting conclusion: we are still being governed by Normans.

Take house prices. According to the author Kevin Cahill, the main driver behind the absurd expense of owning land and property in Britain is that so much of the nation's land is locked up by a tiny elite. Just 0.3% of the population – 160,000 families – own two thirds of the country. Less than 1% of the population owns 70% of the land, running Britain a close second to Brazil for the title of the country with the most unequal land distribution on Earth.

Much of this can be traced back to 1066. The first act of William the Conqueror, in 1067, was to declare that every acre of land in England now belonged to the monarch. This was unprecedented: Anglo-Saxon England had been a mosaic of landowners. Now there was just one. William then proceeded to parcel much of that land out to those who had fought with him at Hastings. This was the beginning of feudalism; it was also the beginning of the landowning culture that has plagued England – and Britain – ever since.

I think you can have some idea as to how this relates to the OP.

It's funny that the people I've noticed to be most appreciative of the Obama presidency are white.

Not judging by who was wearing all those Obama t-shirts around here. :)

By the way, Truthout is a far left rag.
Truthout said:
“Kamala Harris won’t get my black vote and she can kiss my black a$$!” reads the YouTube headline of a video released by the African-American blogger who bills herself as Mechee X
Somebody with a name like "Mechee X" would not be happy with anybody but a race-warrior radical. Also, I wonder how much of her hostility is because Kamala's husband is white. Not going to listen to her 70 min rant to find out though.
on her Fly Nubian Queen channel.
What's a Nubian? </Jason Lee>
Black and Mechee X’s critiques are representative of the ennui and even hostility that characterizes African Americans’ response to the possibility of the nation’s second Black president, which is largely attributable to the fact that while we were distracted celebrating the first, someone walked into our homes and almost literally stole everything we own.
Yeah, but how else is that someone gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school?

That yawning racial wealth gap certainly did not begin on Obama’s watch, but his administration’s handling of the 2008 financial meltdown essentially erased all of the savings and investments accrued to a generation of African Americans.
Yeah, that is probably to blame rather than Obama.

Central to that economic crisis was the proliferation of high-interest home loans, or subprime mortgages, which triggered the collapse of the global real estate market.
Nothing Obama had any role in, so it kind of goes against the thesis of the piece.

An analysis by the Economic Policy Institute of data compiled at the zenith of the real estate boom found that 53 percent of all Black borrowers were issued subprime loans, compared to 47 percent of Latinos and a quarter of white borrowers. In New York City, African-American home buyers in 2006 were four times more likely than whites to be saddled with a subprime mortgage, wrote Columbia University sociologist Saskia Sassen in the book White Collar Criminals and the Financial Meltdown, citing data compiled by New York University’s Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy.
That -3rd year of his presidency was indeed difficult. :banghead:

Meanwhile, another study found that between 2004 and 2008, only 6.2 percent of white borrowers with a credit score of 660 or higher received a subprime loan while the rate for Black borrowers with similar credit scores was 21.4 percent. In fact, the lending disparities actually widened when households with higher incomes were compared, meaning that an African-American family earning more than $200,000 a year was more likely to be given a subprime loan than a white family making less than $30,000 annually, leaving New York University Sociology Professor Jacob Faber to conclude that borrowers of color were targeted not because they were credit risks, but because they weren’t.
Again, between 2004 and 2008. Hmm.
But also, 660 is not really that high a credit score - about average. If black borrowers above 660 were mostly in the 660-720 range, while white borrowers were mostly >720, that would go a long way to explain the discrepancy. And credit scores are hardly the only variable creditors use. Were any variables controlled for?
The difference is this stark: In the nation’s most prosperous majority-Black county, the Washington, D.C., suburb of Prince George’s County, Maryland, one in every 624 homes is in foreclosure, while across the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia, where two of every three residents is white, the ratio is one in every 5,189 homes.
Hmm, perhaps this difference is foreclosure risk has been driving the discrepancies in the numbers of subprime borrowers. If banks lend money to higher-risk borrowers, they charge more interest. I.e. subprime rates.
The subprime loan scandal represents the culmination of a 45-year effort to stop the advance of liberal democracy birthed by the labor organizing struggles of the New Deal. At the center of that movement were the Communists and the Black worker, whose voice in public policy has been gradually silenced as neoliberalism has hollowed out both the manufacturing economy and the labor unions.
Communists and Black Panthers advancing liberal democracy? LMAO!!!
The answer: by turning the worker, generally, and the Black worker specifically, into a perpetual debtor.
In a material sense, slavery has continued practically unabated.
There is hyperbole and then there is this...
The notion that Black suffering provides whites and others with a certain succor has come to be known in recent years as “Afro-Pessimism.”
This line could have been written by some people on here, sadly.
But just as Obama’s failure to indict a single police officer for the slaying of an unarmed Black man is evidence that whites are invested in murder as an affirmation of a privileged white identity, so too is his administration’s refusal to hold a single banker accountable for their financial crimes.
Presidents do not indict, so technically that is true. But DOJ under Obama successfully prosecuted for example Michael Slager.
Note that these prosecutions depend on law and evidence, and just because activists demand a prosecution (for example in the Michael Brown case) does not mean a prosecution is appropriate.
Obama administration also prosecuted bankers by the way. But don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.
“Collectively, Black people are not falling for the ‘okie-doke’ like we did in 2008 and 2012,” the hip-hop artist known as Willie D said recently on his YouTube channel, noting that Harris’s recent appearance on a popular New York radio show, “The Breakfast Club,” had received more online “dislikes” than “likes.”
Willie who? Maybe he is just jealous Kamala wasn't listening to him while high. ;)
“People just aren’t buying what Kamala Harris is selling … All skinfolk ain’t kinfolk …
Skinfolk? Kinfolk? Sounds kinda racist, doesn't it? Is that a dig on the fact that her dad is Jamaican and her mother Indian?

What a ridiculous piece of writing!

The reality is the president personaly has little power to directly help a sub group.

Formthe last 5 years I have been around many West African immigrants here in Seattle.

Some go to college, some leasrn skills like nursing, others work at regular jobs. There is an Eteopian neighborhood a few miles from where I live. New house and cars. idle class to upscale.

Got to know the family of a black man I live with. Three entrepreneurial minded brothers came up from La in the early 60s. Even with racism they did very well. I went to a brother's house on Lake Washington. Upscale gated.

There are skilled jobs. Mostly for men welding is alwys in demand. With traing and experience onecan make 3 figures.

Good auto mechanics are well paid.

The thing is jobs don't come to you, you go to jobs. My black friend could not get into college in Jim Crow La, so he came to Seattle.

If you just sit and stew in anger you will certainly get no where.

It is the same issue with coal miners in Appalachia. Jobs are not coming back but they hang on generation after generation in poverty waiting for business to move in.

The reality is the president personaly has little power to directly help a sub group.

Formthe last 5 years I have been around many West African immigrants here in Seattle.

Some go to college, some leasrn skills like nursing, others work at regular jobs. There is an Eteopian neighborhood a few miles from where I live. New house and cars. idle class to upscale.

Got to know the family of a black man I live with. Three entrepreneurial minded brothers came up from La in the early 60s. Even with racism they did very well. I went to a brother's house on Lake Washington. Upscale gated.

There are skilled jobs. Mostly for men welding is alwys in demand. With traing and experience onecan make 3 figures.

Good auto mechanics are well paid.

The thing is jobs don't come to you, you go to jobs. My black friend could not get into college in Jim Crow La, so he came to Seattle.

If you just sit and stew in anger you will certainly get no where.

It is the same issue with coal miners in Appalachia. Jobs are not coming back but they hang on generation after generation in poverty waiting for business to move in.

The majority of blacks are either angry, unimaginative, or lazy? In other words, they're black?

What do you think the result would be if tens of thousands of black people migrated to each of those places where the high paying jobs you insist are plentiful?

Not judging by who was wearing all those Obama t-shirts around here. :)

By the way, Truthout is a far left rag.

Somebody with a name like "Mechee X" would not be happy with anybody but a race-warrior radical. Also, I wonder how much of her hostility is because Kamala's husband is white. Not going to listen to her 70 min rant to find out though.
on her Fly Nubian Queen channel.
What's a Nubian? </Jason Lee>
Black and Mechee X’s critiques are representative of the ennui and even hostility that characterizes African Americans’ response to the possibility of the nation’s second Black president, which is largely attributable to the fact that while we were distracted celebrating the first, someone walked into our homes and almost literally stole everything we own.
Yeah, but how else is that someone gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school?

That yawning racial wealth gap certainly did not begin on Obama’s watch, but his administration’s handling of the 2008 financial meltdown essentially erased all of the savings and investments accrued to a generation of African Americans.
Yeah, that is probably to blame rather than Obama.

Central to that economic crisis was the proliferation of high-interest home loans, or subprime mortgages, which triggered the collapse of the global real estate market.
Nothing Obama had any role in, so it kind of goes against the thesis of the piece.

An analysis by the Economic Policy Institute of data compiled at the zenith of the real estate boom found that 53 percent of all Black borrowers were issued subprime loans, compared to 47 percent of Latinos and a quarter of white borrowers. In New York City, African-American home buyers in 2006 were four times more likely than whites to be saddled with a subprime mortgage, wrote Columbia University sociologist Saskia Sassen in the book White Collar Criminals and the Financial Meltdown, citing data compiled by New York University’s Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy.
That -3rd year of his presidency was indeed difficult. :banghead:

Meanwhile, another study found that between 2004 and 2008, only 6.2 percent of white borrowers with a credit score of 660 or higher received a subprime loan while the rate for Black borrowers with similar credit scores was 21.4 percent. In fact, the lending disparities actually widened when households with higher incomes were compared, meaning that an African-American family earning more than $200,000 a year was more likely to be given a subprime loan than a white family making less than $30,000 annually, leaving New York University Sociology Professor Jacob Faber to conclude that borrowers of color were targeted not because they were credit risks, but because they weren’t.
Again, between 2004 and 2008. Hmm.
But also, 660 is not really that high a credit score - about average. If black borrowers above 660 were mostly in the 660-720 range, while white borrowers were mostly >720, that would go a long way to explain the discrepancy. And credit scores are hardly the only variable creditors use. Were any variables controlled for?
The difference is this stark: In the nation’s most prosperous majority-Black county, the Washington, D.C., suburb of Prince George’s County, Maryland, one in every 624 homes is in foreclosure, while across the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia, where two of every three residents is white, the ratio is one in every 5,189 homes.
Hmm, perhaps this difference is foreclosure risk has been driving the discrepancies in the numbers of subprime borrowers. If banks lend money to higher-risk borrowers, they charge more interest. I.e. subprime rates.
The subprime loan scandal represents the culmination of a 45-year effort to stop the advance of liberal democracy birthed by the labor organizing struggles of the New Deal. At the center of that movement were the Communists and the Black worker, whose voice in public policy has been gradually silenced as neoliberalism has hollowed out both the manufacturing economy and the labor unions.
Communists and Black Panthers advancing liberal democracy? LMAO!!!
The answer: by turning the worker, generally, and the Black worker specifically, into a perpetual debtor.
In a material sense, slavery has continued practically unabated.
There is hyperbole and then there is this...
The notion that Black suffering provides whites and others with a certain succor has come to be known in recent years as “Afro-Pessimism.”
This line could have been written by some people on here, sadly.
But just as Obama’s failure to indict a single police officer for the slaying of an unarmed Black man is evidence that whites are invested in murder as an affirmation of a privileged white identity, so too is his administration’s refusal to hold a single banker accountable for their financial crimes.
Presidents do not indict, so technically that is true. But DOJ under Obama successfully prosecuted for example Michael Slager.
Note that these prosecutions depend on law and evidence, and just because activists demand a prosecution (for example in the Michael Brown case) does not mean a prosecution is appropriate.
Obama administration also prosecuted bankers by the way. But don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.
“Collectively, Black people are not falling for the ‘okie-doke’ like we did in 2008 and 2012,” the hip-hop artist known as Willie D said recently on his YouTube channel, noting that Harris’s recent appearance on a popular New York radio show, “The Breakfast Club,” had received more online “dislikes” than “likes.”
Willie who? Maybe he is just jealous Kamala wasn't listening to him while high. ;)
“People just aren’t buying what Kamala Harris is selling … All skinfolk ain’t kinfolk …
Skinfolk? Kinfolk? Sounds kinda racist, doesn't it? Is that a dig on the fact that her dad is Jamaican and her mother Indian?

What a ridiculous piece of writing!

I'm sure it's all very scary for people like you. But https://truthout.org/articles/say-goodbye-to-mitch-mcconnells-america/

What do you think the result would be if tens of thousands of black people migrated to each of those places where the high paying jobs you insist are plentiful?

High paying jobs are plentiful in those areas because there aren't enough people there with the skills to do them. If the education system in the black people's places of origin were on par with the Chinese or Indian education systems, they'd be snapped up upon arrival.

I'm sure it's all very scary for people like you.
Not nearly as scary as the prospect of a logical and factual discussion is for people like you. I have noticed you have not addressed even a single of my points.

I'm sure it's all very scary for people like you.
Not nearly as scary as the prospect of a logical and factual discussion is for people like you. I have noticed you have not addressed even a single of my points.

You Have? How long did that take you? And then how long will it take you to get over the pain? Keep me updated, won't you!

High paying jobs are plentiful in those areas because there aren't enough people there with the skills to do them. If the education system in the black people's places of origin were on par with the Chinese or Indian education systems, they'd be snapped up upon arrival.

Yes, and if thousands of black folk turned up to compete for them there'd be even less?

..... an African-American family earning more than $200,000 a year was more likely to be given a subprime loan than a white family making less than $30,000 annually, leaving New York University Sociology Professor Jacob Faber to conclude that borrowers of color were targeted not because they were credit risks, but because they weren’t.

Gosh.

"A survey of two districts of similar incomes, one being largely white and the other largely black, found that branches in the black community offered largely subprime loans and almost no prime loans. Studies found out that high-income blacks were almost twice as likely to end up with subprime home-purchase mortgages as low-income whites. Loan officers were clearly aware that they were exploiting their customers, in some cases referring to blacks as "mud people" and to subprime lending as "ghetto loans""

Mortgage discrimination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_discrimination#Reverse_redlining

..... an African-American family earning more than $200,000 a year was more likely to be given a subprime loan than a white family making less than $30,000 annually, leaving New York University Sociology Professor Jacob Faber to conclude that borrowers of color were targeted not because they were credit risks, but because they weren’t.

Gosh.

"A survey of two districts of similar incomes, one being largely white and the other largely black, found that branches in the black community offered largely subprime loans and almost no prime loans. Studies found out that high-income blacks were almost twice as likely to end up with subprime home-purchase mortgages as low-income whites. Loan officers were clearly aware that they were exploiting their customers, in some cases referring to blacks as "mud people" and to subprime lending as "ghetto loans""

Mortgage discrimination

Yea that sucks. Obama didn't create it. This thread is just another attack job on Obama. Obama passed Dodd-Frank and asked the FDIC to enforce existing regs (like Reg B) that had been ignored in the past. Trump is reversing all that. And yet everything is Obama's fault.

Gosh.

Mortgage discrimination

Yea that sucks. Obama didn't create it. This thread is just another attack job on Obama. Obama passed Dodd-Frank and asked the FDIC to enforce existing regs (like Reg B) that had been ignored in the past. Trump is reversing all that. And yet everything is Obama's fault.

Not surprisingly, you misunderstand the gist of the piece which is for black voters to try to avoid voting for a candidate just because they are black. Obama is a corporate Democrat who only wanted to be the most important person in the room, especially if that room was full of white people. He was an in-your-face black president. He got away with his act for 8 years too. Obama rode everyone's bias for a long time. Pretty cunning of him, but pretty dumb too.

Not surprisingly, you misunderstand the gist of the piece which is for black voters to try to avoid voting for a candidate just because they are black. Obama is a corporate Democrat who only wanted to be the most important person in the room, especially if that room was full of white people. He was an in-your-face black president. He got away with his act for 8 years too. Obama rode everyone's bias for a long time. Pretty cunning of him, but pretty dumb too.

Your very first posts on this forum had this same theme: Obama bad. After you were called out on it, you try to describe it as black people are against Obama also. Non white people like myself didn't just vote for Obama just because he is black. It's insulting for you to insinuate this. The real issue here is that we voted for him because he was ten times the candidate than HRC, Sarah Palin, and John McCain and all the other politicians that he ran against. He's a 100's greater than the current bozo that we have. The real deal here is that you want the left wing to not vote for any democratic politician slightly to the right of Cynthia McKinney. This policy will allow the republicans to win every election. The left wing will have it's small moral victories. But the republicans will control the government and everything else. Sorry, but moral victories aren't enough for me. I want the country to progress. I want the country to fix problems such as accessibility to health care, education, the environment.

Last edited:
you misunderstand the gist of the piece

No, clearly he was refuting the “gist” of the piece. Or, at least, the underlying fallacy of the piece.

which is for black voters to try to avoid voting for a candidate just because they are black.

A strawman if ever there were one. Most likely there were “black voters” who voted for Obama because he is black, but to assume that was the only reason and/or that a majority did so for that reason only is to engage in presumptive (and biased) mind-reading of the highest order.

Obama is a corporate Democrat

:rolleyes: There is no such thing. Corporations are the bedrock of our entire economy and part and parcel to American life. EVERY President necessarily must in some manner “be a corporate” President whatever the fuck that’s supposed to mean.

The job requires it just as it requires the President to “be a non-profit organization” President and to “be a citizen’s advocate” President, etc.

Trying to both demonize the concept of company structure while at the same time painting any President with the term as if that just axiomatically makes them a stooge in some manner is just a hack political stunt, particularly in light of Obama’s actual record in regard to what a President can do, which is propose and strengthen Congressional oversight and regulation of any such institutions.

who only wanted to be the most important person in the room, especially if that room was full of white people.

Is that the “gist” of the piece in your opinion or just your opinion? Either way it’s despicable and instantly discredits whoever is making it. I don’t give a shit how “left” you think your source may be, such an assertion immediately discredits whoever made it.

Back
Top Bottom