• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Flat Broke, Black Voters Want More Than Just Another Black President

Non white people like myself didn't just vote for Obama just because he is black. It's insulting for you to insinuate this. The real issue here is that we voted for him because he was ten times the candidate than HRC, Sarah Palin, and John McCain and all the other politicians that he ran against. He's a 100's greater than the current bozo that we have.

Exactly. Well said. And we need more of this sort of thinking. But there were indeed plenty of people who DID vote for, and even more who voted against Obama just because of his race. The identity politics needs to end. That also goes for Hillary running on "first woman!" or anyone who eventually runs on "first trans!" or "first muslim!" or whatever else.

Non white people like myself didn't just vote for Obama just because he is black. It's insulting for you to insinuate this. The real issue here is that we voted for him because he was ten times the candidate than HRC, Sarah Palin, and John McCain and all the other politicians that he ran against. He's a 100's greater than the current bozo that we have.

Exactly. Well said. And we need more of this sort of thinking. But there were indeed plenty of people who DID vote for, and even more who voted against Obama just because of his race. The identity politics needs to end. That also goes for Hillary running on "first woman!" or anyone who eventually runs on "first trans!" or "first muslim!" or whatever else.

Or, white guy.

..... an African-American family earning more than $200,000 a year was more likely to be given a subprime loan than a white family making less than $30,000 annually, leaving New York University Sociology Professor Jacob Faber to conclude that borrowers of color were targeted not because they were credit risks, but because they weren’t.

Gosh.

"A survey of two districts of similar incomes, one being largely white and the other largely black, found that branches in the black community offered largely subprime loans and almost no prime loans. Studies found out that high-income blacks were almost twice as likely to end up with subprime home-purchase mortgages as low-income whites. Loan officers were clearly aware that they were exploiting their customers, in some cases referring to blacks as "mud people" and to subprime lending as "ghetto loans""

Mortgage discrimination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_discrimination#Reverse_redlining

Yea that sucks. Obama didn't create it. This thread is just another attack job on Obama. Obama passed Dodd-Frank and asked the FDIC to enforce existing regs (like Reg B) that had been ignored in the past. Trump is reversing all that. And yet everything is Obama's fault.

You are absolutely right, and the claim that most black voters don't like Obama anymore is pure bullshit. I discuss politics with some black folks that I know locally. They all love Obama, but none of them voted for him simply because he's black, actually he's blackish. ;) He's the most multicultural president we've ever had, and while that's a plus, since he's was exposed to several different cultures as a child, it's not why most people voted for him.

My closest black friend told me that she hopes that Biden runs because she likes him and thinks that he can beat Trump. Most of the Democrats that I know, both black and white, primarily want a candidate that can win.

I too, am sick of the false claims made about Obama, from both the left and the right. The man was the most scandal free, dignified president in my lifetime. He tried to reach out to the other side, but they did nothing but obstruct him, criticize him and make disgusting racist insinuations about him.

I too, am sick of the false claims made about Obama, from both the left and the right. The man was the most scandal free, dignified president in my lifetime. He tried to reach out to the other side, but they did nothing but obstruct him, criticize him and make disgusting racist insinuations about him.

I mostly agree. He was a great orator and he was all class. But he was also a bit of a pushover. I'll not soon forget how he didn't even try for single payer or use it as a position to bargain down from.

But yes, the man was all class. It is especially striking when you see his timing in between Bush Jr. and Trump. Its like an adult walked through the room.

I'll not soon forget how he didn't even try for single payer or use it as a position to bargain down from.

Not entirely accurate, but I agree that it should have been included as chum for bargaining purposes. I think the biggest problem was that he knew going in that there were turncoat Dems that were already letting it be known that they would not support a straight-up single payer option, so he likely felt that it would be better not to reveal a division among the Dems so starkly in his first big initiative.

Iow, he already knew he'd never get to the point of negotiating with Republicans since turncoat Dems would have been his first hurdle and he likely would not have been able to surmount that one to get to the next one.

And, his strategy worked in that it finally got us huge leaps closer to having any kind of unified health care system.

Obama's greatest strength was to fully understand and embrace the fact that change for the good (meaning, not just when it comes to rich people) can only be gained in increments; that by changing a ship's course by one or two degrees now is the only way to make sure it hits a particular target thousands of miles down the way.

I mostly agree. He was a great orator and he was all class. But he was also a bit of a pushover. I'll not soon forget how he didn't even try for single payer or use it as a position to bargain down from.

But yes, the man was all class. It is especially striking when you see his timing in between Bush Jr. and Trump. Its like an adult walked through the room.

He could barely get enough Democrats to vote for the plan that got passed. How the hell do you think he would have been able to get anything close to single payer? He wanted a public option, but there wasn't even enough support for that. Having unrealistic expectations of what a president can do, usually doesn't end well.

I think we'd be better off following the German model than trying to accomplish Medicare for All. Even at that, unless the Democrats have a large majority in both the Senate and the House, even the German model would be very difficult to pass.

He could barely get enough Democrats to vote for the plan that got passed. How the hell do you think he would have been able to get anything close to single payer?

I didn't expect him to actually get single payer. I did expect him to try, and bargain down from there. I think he could have gotten his public option that way. He wasn't forceful. Republicans have Democrats beat when it comes to taking a strong position. I've even seen Trump do it. Obama, not so much. Yes, he made some progress. I think he could have made a fair bit more. But then again, I'm a Canadian looking in on this and we've got it already (but we could use more too; dental isn't included nor are prescription drugs or hospital parking).

He wanted a public option, but there wasn't even enough support for that. Having unrealistic expectations of what a president can do, usually doesn't end well.

I think he could have gotten the public option he proposed, had that been the compromise instead of the starting position.

He could barely get enough Democrats to vote for the plan that got passed. How the hell do you think he would have been able to get anything close to single payer?

I didn't expect him to actually get single payer. I did expect him to try, and bargain down from there. I think he could have gotten his public option that way. He wasn't forceful. Republicans have Democrats beat when it comes to taking a strong position. I've even seen Trump do it. Obama, not so much. Yes, he made some progress. I think he could have made a fair bit more. But then again, I'm a Canadian looking in on this and we've got it already (but we could use more too; dental isn't included nor are prescription drugs or hospital parking).

He wanted a public option, but there wasn't even enough support for that. Having unrealistic expectations of what a president can do, usually doesn't end well.

I think he could have gotten the public option he proposed, had that been the compromise instead of the starting position.

Well, again, he would not have got passed the turncoat Dems in order to even get to the Republicans. Iow, he did compromise (with the Dems first) in order to get to a starting position with the Republicans.

The reality is the president personaly has little power to directly help a sub group.

Formthe last 5 years I have been around many West African immigrants here in Seattle.

Some go to college, some leasrn skills like nursing, others work at regular jobs. There is an Eteopian neighborhood a few miles from where I live. New house and cars. idle class to upscale.

Got to know the family of a black man I live with. Three entrepreneurial minded brothers came up from La in the early 60s. Even with racism they did very well. I went to a brother's house on Lake Washington. Upscale gated.

There are skilled jobs. Mostly for men welding is alwys in demand. With traing and experience onecan make 3 figures.

Good auto mechanics are well paid.

The thing is jobs don't come to you, you go to jobs. My black friend could not get into college in Jim Crow La, so he came to Seattle.

If you just sit and stew in anger you will certainly get no where.

It is the same issue with coal miners in Appalachia. Jobs are not coming back but they hang on generation after generation in poverty waiting for business to move in.

The majority of blacks are either angry, unimaginative, or lazy? In other words, they're black?

What do you think the result would be if tens of thousands of black people migrated to each of those places where the high paying jobs you insist are plentiful?

Please spare me the race bullshit. I also referred to white coal miners.

For years the labor reports show large numbers of unfilled skilled good paying jobs. As I said there is a population of Somali and Ethiopian immigrants in Seattle that appear to be doing well.

They are black. Perhaps attitude is more hindering these daus than skin color.

So, in our publically correct world any criticism of blacks by whites is inherently racist?

The fact is I know sveral blacks from my generation who started out in the Jim Crow era and made it. What does that tell you?

While issues still exist I do believe that some of the public black rhetoric is holding blacks back thinking it is all against them. One of the complaints against Trump was jis creating an image all blacks are impoverished and need help, and his help.

If you want work check the govt labor sites and find an area in need and you might like, get some schooling, and go where jobs are. Nothing racist in that. The times are gone when anybody could get a good paying manufacturing job without skills. Skilled and semi skilled jobs today require a 2 year degree or a trade school. There is plenty of education financing.

A public community college or a trade school will not put you deep in debt.

I will not give you my life story, but I started in integrated public housing, went into the Navy to get a start, post Navy stqrted out in some rough neighborhoods doing whatever jobs I could find, eventually got a tech job on my Navy training, and ended up with an engineering career after some GI Bill college.

I wasn't born black but I stated at the bottom. How about you?

Angry rants aint gonna get anybody anywhere.

Not surprisingly, you misunderstand the gist of the piece which is for black voters to try to avoid voting for a candidate just because they are black. Obama is a corporate Democrat who only wanted to be the most important person in the room, especially if that room was full of white people. He was an in-your-face black president. He got away with his act for 8 years too. Obama rode everyone's bias for a long time. Pretty cunning of him, but pretty dumb too.

And the problem is, very few black people expressed the slightest interest in, among others, Herman Cain, Alan Keyes, or Al Sharpton. Ben Carson was popular, once, but he ended up flaming out pretty quickly as well. You're going to have to get over the simple fact that he was the candidate whose positions appealed to black voters the most, out of the available choices. The whole "we just voted for the black guy in 08" folks, if they're black, are at most speaking for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom