• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Flat Earth

Niven's Ringworld had "mountains" at the edges of the ring. Which makes sense, because you need to have a slightly inwards curved ring to keep the atmosphere in.
Pay no attention to the mountains behind the Z-axis. ;) Along the Phi-axis it's all just one 600 million mile wide valley, like DBT said.

If the mountains were missing, it'd be hard not to notice it from lack of breathable atmosphere.

I suppose the flat Earth would have a similar problem. It'd have to be more bowl-shaped than flat, to keep the atmosphere in.

What I don't understand about the proposed spherical Earth conspiracy. What's the aim of that conspiracy? What possible difference could it make for "them" to make us believe that the world is round? What's in it for the conspiracy?

That's an excellent observation.

It seems to me the obvious answer, at least for most of the "conspirators," is that they honestly think their woo is real or possibly real. If one does not possess the cognitive faculties it's all you have. There's a very healthy dose of Dunning Kruger involved as well but it's that attraction to woo that seals the deal. But it's a good question to ask one of the conspirators.

Lots of people think a god is real because it means they don't have to die. Beyond the brain's chemical reward I don't know what the reason would be for flat earth over globe, I don't know what it would change.

The reward is self image as someone capable of understanding stuff.

Stuff is difficult to understand, and it's all the fault of those stupid scientists making things more complicated than they need to be.

A flat Earth is simple, straightforward, and easy to understand. A spherical Earth is the thin end of the wedge*, leading to ever increasing complexity and strangeness. If you're happy with the idea that reality is so strange that even the greatest geniuses can't really understand it, then you certainly shouldn't be. Reality should be simple and straightforward. Therefore it is.

*Yes, I know that the end of a wedge cannot be a sphere.

Ringworld is one big valley in the form of a hoop.

One ginormous valley in between the spill mountains.

Where else but between mountains would you find a valley?
Ringworld.

Niven's Ringworld had "mountains" at the edges of the ring. Which makes sense, because you need to have a slightly inwards curved ring to keep the atmosphere in.

No--the Ringworld has a 1000km wall around it to retain the atmosphere. The mountains are the spill mountains--there's no plate tectonics to recycle the material that rivers take, it's drained from the seas and piped to points along the edge and dumped. That makes the spill mountains. Such a mountain would be at it's stability angle and utterly unclimbable even if they didn't extend beyond meaningful atmosphere.

What I don't understand about the proposed spherical Earth conspiracy. What's the aim of that conspiracy? What possible difference could it make for "them" to make us believe that the world is round? What's in it for the conspiracy?

The conspiracy is seen as a hiding the truth from fellow earthers. It's more to do with the implication for most flat earthers if not all. The idea is: If the world is flat as they say it is, then we are ALL living in a 'Truman Show' sort of world. There are variations to this concept, which would obviously include some from the main faith religions.

The conspiracy is seen as a hiding the truth from fellow earthers. It's more to do with the implication for most flat earthers if not all. The idea is: If the world is flat as they say it is, then we are ALL living in a 'Truman Show' sort of world. There are variations to this concept, which would obviously include some from the main faith religions.

Regardless of the shape of the Earth, the main religions think that we are all living in a 'Truman Show' sort of world, with the gods as the producers and directors, shaping our apparently natural lives according to their script.

Regardless of the shape of the Earth, the main religions think that we are all living in a 'Truman Show' sort of world, with the gods as the producers and directors, shaping our apparently natural lives according to their script.

Not in quite the same way but I'd say, "regardless of what you think the shape of the the Earth is, Christ is still Lord!"

The ancients had their Lord's in form of Kings and Emperors, so it was natural for them to think in terms of overlords, a Lord of Creation, a Lord of the World.....

Not in quite the same way but I'd say, "regardless of what you think the shape of the the Earth is, Christ is still Lord!"

I'm sure you would. It would still be a nonsensical and barely coherent claim. Christ is a fictional character, and lords are a dated aristocracy that has now largely been sidelined even in the hugely traditional Westminster parliament, having become increasingly less significant since the industrial revolution decoupled land ownership from raw power.

Lords are about as respectable and as relevant today as are slavemasters. Strictly third world shit that civilised people find archaic and distasteful - just like religion.

I'm sure you would. It would still be a nonsensical and barely coherent claim. Christ is a fictional character, and lords are a dated aristocracy that has now largely been sidelined even in the hugely traditional Westminster parliament, having become increasingly less significant since the industrial revolution decoupled land ownership from raw power.

Lords are about as respectable and as relevant today as are slavemasters. Strictly third world shit that civilised people find archaic and distasteful - just like religion.

I'm sure you see it that way. But naturally, people in the "civilised" world want to be all sorts of things:

English Lord and Ladyship titles packs for sale
https://www.lordtitles.co.uk/ ;)

(sorry off topic)

Correct. It's all about woo, and woo arises from human ignorance, which arises ultimately from cognitive differences, not magic.

Correct. It's all about woo, and woo arises from human ignorance, which arises ultimately from cognitive differences, not magic.

A 'Truman Show' for most, is also conceptually a modern idea too, perhaps you could add sci-fi to mix. Your guru's Prof. Dawkins & Prof. Kaku is quite open to the possibilty of very advanced beings existing out there. Prof. Dawkins considered that it wouldn't be impossible, if we were ourselves were seeded on earth by advanced beings. They could be like gods to the little seedlings... just as long as it's not biblical.

According to a number of speakers in the bible, the Erath has four corners.

The logical conclusion is the Erath is flat.

We're also described as under a solid sky, not within a solid shell.
Earth's creation is described as spreading earth over the top of The Waters Below, like a mud pie, not balled up as a shere.

God will take the Earth by the edges and shake the evil off it like cleaning a rug.

There's a place you can stand and see all the nations of the world.

All the imagery of the Earth in the Books is describing a Flat Earth.

Earth's creation is described as spreading earth over the top of The Waters Below, like a mud pie, not balled up as a sphere....

A related thing is this verse involving a "tent":

Isaiah 40:22
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

If the earth is a ball, the throne would only be "above" some of the earth - to some people the throne would be to the side, and to others it would be below them. If they were grasshoppers on a flat earth, God would be able to see them, but on a ball some would be hidden by the earth. A tent could exist above a flat earth, but not really around a ball.

Earth's creation is described as spreading earth over the top of The Waters Below, like a mud pie, not balled up as a sphere....

A related thing is this verse involving a "tent":

Isaiah 40:22
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

If the earth is a ball, the throne would only be "above" some of the earth - to some people the throne would be to the side, and to others it would be below them. If they were grasshoppers on a flat earth, God would be able to see them, but on a ball some would be hidden by the earth. A tent could exist above a flat earth, but not really around a ball.

Yes. It’s as plain as the English it was written in.

Earth's creation is described as spreading earth over the top of The Waters Below, like a mud pie, not balled up as a shere.
The firmament/dome referenced in the First Story of Creation? That to split the water so there could be ground, water above (other side of firmament) and water below (under the ground). We are in a void created within the waters.

Also a firmament implied a flat earth because a dome can't split water around a sphere. I think this is the extent of a flat earth in the Bible.

The firmament/dome referenced in the First Story of Creation? That to split the water so there could be ground, water above (other side of firmament) and water below (under the ground). We are in a void created within the waters.
Yes, an inside-out snow-globe.
Just hope He never shakes it to see the swirling precipitate...
I think this is the extent of a flat earth in the Bible.
Hardly.
Did you note that the sun gets the night off? He sets, then has a little chamber he rests in until it's morning and time to get up and climb across the sky.
That doesn't work if Earth is an oblate spheroid. "Morning" is not an event, it's a localized condition.

Yes, an inside-out snow-globe.
Just hope He never shakes it to see the swirling precipitate...
He promised not to kill us all... again.
I think this is the extent of a flat earth in the Bible.
Hardly.
Did you note that the sun gets the night off? He sets, then has a little chamber he rests in until it's morning and time to get up and climb across the sky.
That doesn't work if Earth is an oblate spheroid. "Morning" is not an event, it's a localized condition.
The Moon and Sun hold dominion over the land (Gen. 1), that implies a certain consciousness to them... which means they set... clock out... go to the bars the Demigods hang out at, and clock back in the following shift. Of course, the Moon suffers from an inferiority complex because the Sun is so much brighter, and is often wasted and rises and sets at all sorts of odd hours. During eclipses, the Sun can smell the scent of liquor on its breath and just sighs.

Back
Top Bottom