• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

So today, for the first time in decades, I made scones! I spread the dough too thin so they weren’t as tall as I wanted, but they were light still.

I think the SR flour is a bit old and they didn’t rise as much, but with some whipped cream and a good cherry jam, they were good.

Another Simplistic Brunch Recipe

This morning I made a Lemon Dutch Baby. When you pull the Baby out of the over it looks spectacular, but by the time I had it slathered with lemon curd it had fallen by at least 50%. Served with sausage links and fruit salad.
20200412_092756_resized.jpg

c60433091e8fb8a4eab5bb53958e2c01.jpg

4d4242cae213a6fd62527bb3d737c705.jpg

It is Bunny Day dinner in a miniature pie crust. The best crust!

2 cups white flour
10 tbsp frozen butter
0 tbsp shortening (fuck shortening!)
8 to 10 tbsp of cold water

Incorporate the frozen butter into the flour using a sturdy dough blender. Do not, I repeat, do NOT blend the mixture into a fine matrix of flour/butter crumbs. Leave some decent size chunks of butter.

Mix water in with fork(s), about three tbsp at a time. Keep adding water until you can get the dough cohesive enough to stay in a ball shape. Make two dough balls.

Wrap individually in wax paper and refrigerate for an hour or so.

After an hour, take one out and roll it out. Lightly flour the top, then fold like a letter and roll again. Lightly flour, fold and roll again. One more time. This is your dough for a crust. Flakiest you’ll ever know.

I just made some more salmon salad for sandwiches. I had a bag of eight frozen filets so I just baked them all up at once hoping to make a big bowl of the salad to last all week. They smelled so good when they came out of the oven that I ended up eating two of them as they were with some honey mustard and toast. The rest I shredded and added mayo, honey mustard, celery, salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash.

Seriously, anyone who turns their nose up at store brand frozen salmon is an idiot. This shit is absolutely delicious.

Question: I have a Calphalon fry pan similar to the pic below. Anodized and non-stick.

black-silver-calphalon-skillets-1961928-64_1000.jpg

When I make scrambled eggs, a thin layer of egg always sticks to the bottom of the pan.

I spray the pan with cooking oil, add some margarine to saute onions, peppers, ham, and sausage prior to adding the eggs. Stirring almost constantly.

Am I cooking it with too high of heat, too low.

It's a pain in the tookus to clean after, having to resort to a plastic scraper to remove the egg from the bottom of the pan.

Suggestions? Or better pan suggestions?

Question: I have a Calphalon fry pan similar to the pic below. Anodized and non-stick.

View attachment 27348

When I make scrambled eggs, a thin layer of egg always sticks to the bottom of the pan.

I spray the pan with cooking oil, add some margarine to saute onions, peppers, ham, and sausage prior to adding the eggs. Stirring almost constantly.

It's a pain in the tookus to clean after, having to resort to a plastic scraper to remove the egg from the bottom of the pan.

Have you, at any time, put it in the dishwasher? I don’t out my non-stick anything in the dishwasher unless it says specifically. In the past I had someone put one through the dishwasher and it was never the same after that.

View attachment 27348

Have you, at any time, put it in the dishwasher? I don’t out my non-stick anything in the dishwasher unless it says specifically. In the past I had someone put one through the dishwasher and it was never the same after that.

Nope. I'm the dishwasher.

View attachment 27348

Yes, for the love of Zeus, don't use margarine.

Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake

swiss cheese chicken bake.jpg

I used this recipe, but had to make some modifications. My chicken was already cooked, but my rice was not, and I used yogurt instead of sour cream.

I baked the rice in the baking dish with chicken broth and the cooked chicken pieces on top, 375F for 55 mins.

Mixed the mayo, yogurt, salt, pepper, parmesan, and garlic powder, and spread the mixture on top of the cooked rice and chicken, then placed slices of Swiss cheese to cover the top. Baked another 10 mins and then 2-3 mins under the broiler.

Really delicious and easy.

My speciality is whatever is leftover. Kids, i can't get them to eat leftovers so it's me.

Fry pan

Leftover:
Rice
Ham
Chicken
Pasta
Potatoes
What ever.

Add some frozen corn or green beans

Throw it in. Add some sweet & sour or teriyaki or whatever sauce.

Fry it.

Dump the load in a bowl.

So I got one of those fancy electronically controlled pressure cookers. Made a pot roast with beef broth, golden potatoes, carrots and onions, seasoned with seasoned salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic and rosemary. Took 45 minutes of cooking time which was actually about an hour and a half for time to build up the steam and time to release the pressure. It came out perfect. I love it! Removable cooking liner for easy cleaning too. Whoo hoo!

So I got one of those fancy electronically controlled pressure cookers. Made a pot roast with beef broth, golden potatoes, carrots and onions, seasoned with seasoned salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic and rosemary. Took 45 minutes of cooking time which was actually about an hour and a half for time to build up the steam and time to release the pressure. It came out perfect. I love it! Removable cooking liner for easy cleaning too. Whoo hoo!

I've had an "Instant Pot" for about 7 years and use it a couple times a week. It makes yogurt better than you can buy and it's paid for itself many times over. The only caveat is that I had to invent an efficient method of straining it to make the thicker "Greek" style. I get 2 qts of very thick yogurt from a gallon of milk. The key is to use something called a "nut milk" straining bag instead of typical cheese cloth. The nut milk bag is made out of very fine plastic mesh and is easy to clean. I've been using the same one for 7 years and it hasn't worn out yet. Then you need some kind of plastic jugs to suspend it in so the whey can drain out over a couple hours. Yeah it requires some effort but it beats store bought hands down and costs about 1/3 the price. Aside from that I use it for pressure cooking chicken stock for soup as well as slow cooking spaghetti sauce and chili, and pressure steam cooking potatoes for mashing. The only down side is that I had to replace my original unit recently because I think I let some liquid drip onto the internal electronics. They're about half the price I paid 7 years ago but for some reason the identical model doesn't heat up as much as the original. Slow cooking takes twice the time and I have to modify the yogurt making process to make sure the milk reaches 185 F before cooling and adding the yogurt culture. BTW I use any grocery store yogurt with active cultures for the starter.

I sometimes make a Baked French Toast casserole for brunch, and my wife and I enjoy them, although I know some are less enthusiastic. Jimmy Higgins for instance finds them too soggy. I recently tried a new recipe however, and the results are better. It’s called Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole, and the main differences are two. First it uses Brioche rather than regular bread, and second it uses all eggs (a lot)*, instead of an egg-milk mixture. It puffed up a lot, and turned out crispy around the edges and top, and the center had a spongey texture. It was definitely far less soggy than the previous recipes I’ve tried.

*I basically made a half recipe but it still took a dozen eggs.

20200503_091303_resized.jpg

It's rhubarb season around here so I made rhubarb/apple pies. The filling is 4 cups each of rhubarb and apples, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour. If you can find apples that haven't been waxed you can leave the peels on. I prefer no top crust when baking, just cover with foil. Or you can skip the crusts entirely and just make the filling in a saucepan.

Back
Top Bottom