• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Forget the Pill, IUD is the new queen of Birth Control

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
Forget The Pill, IUD Is The New Queen of Birth Control
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ll-iud-is-the-new-queen-of-birth-control.html

With an estimated 4 million unintentional pregnancies each year, gynecologists are urging their patients switch from oral contraceptives to an intrauterine device (IUD). Just three years after doctors cast it off as unsuitable, the IUD is reigning supreme.

When teen pregnancy numbers hit an all-time low (PDF) this May, no less than the experts at the Brookings Institute pointed to the fear-mongering power of MTV’s Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant as the driving factor behind it. Watching the social lives of new parents fizzle while their stress levels soared did for the American teen, it seems, what decades of free condoms and sex talks could not.

But a strict adherence to safe sex didn’t completely take over the rhetoric, especially not among the actual grown-ups. Of the 4 million live births in the U.S. each year, half are estimated (PDF) to be unplanned or unintended—the largest majority of which come from women in their 20s. Out of these pregnancies, four in 10 will end in abortion.

Helped by its "insert and forget" nature, it seems.

The IUD is certainly not for everybody, but it looks reasonably safe, at least if inserted under sanitary conditions. It's also a one-time expense instead of a continuing one, which may make it easier on its users' finances.

I must say, given that I was having adverse reactions to hormonal birth control in my teens and into adulthood, I must say the IUD worked well for me for a number of years, until I had a full hysterectomy.

I would say they are brilliant for women who are in a stable relationship, and who do have adverse reactions to the contraceptive pill.

The one off cost was minimal in comparison, was inserted in minutes by my GP, and didn't cause me any problems for a number of years.

In my life, I have been partner in every form of birth control except vasectomy.

The IUD is a very effective type, in my experience. There were drawbacks. The way it works is to create an irritation in the uterine wall, which prevents the fertilized egg from implanting. The operative word here is irritation. The IUD is not really an "insert and forget" device. My partner experienced random spotting and heavy bleeding during her periods, which was a constant reminder it was there. I am talking about the standard IUD, not the slow release hormone type. When reading about the IUD's currently available, I was surprised to see some people say the IUD could remain in place for 10 to 12 years. My partner had hers inserted at the college infirmary, when she was a student. Two years later, she had a new gynecologist, who said the IUD should be removed every 24 months and the uterus allowed to rest and heal for three months.

Another part of the IUD sales pitch is something about "your partner cannot tell." This is not exactly true. The IUD has a short string attached to it, which stays in the cervix. This makes it easier for the gynecologist to remove the thing. This string is actually an needle-like piece of plastic, with emphasis on the needle part. This can be a real shock. Trust me on this one.

The operative word here is irritation.

Another part of the IUD sales pitch is something about "your partner cannot tell."

Two snips two comments.

1. Irritation is a grand scale ranging from tearing to bug walking on one's arm. Most IUDs operate more near the tearing end than any bug involved irritant. Those hormonal types can cause the equivalent of burning with associated boiling and festering problems.

2. Yeah, its all about us dong wearers isn't it. Here it comes. sheesh!

Otherwise, nice post.

Back
Top Bottom