• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Former Secretary Matthis denounces Trump

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
This is behind a paywall but you can get around it by using an incognito mode on your browser:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

“I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled,” Mattis writes. “The words ‘Equal Justice Under Law’ are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.” He goes on, “We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution.”

In his j’accuse, Mattis excoriates the president for setting Americans against one another.

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis writes. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”

He goes on to contrast the American ethos of unity with Nazi ideology. “Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that ‘The Nazi slogan for destroying us … was “Divide and Conquer.” Our American answer is “In Union there is Strength.”’ We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.”

Here is his complete statement:

IN UNION THERE IS STRENGTH
I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Park. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.

James Mattis

We may all say, righteously, it's about damned time .

May he be the first of many to come forward

I know this is completely incidental, but I find it unsettling that one of the saner, more rational Trump appointees has the nickname "Mad Dog".

On a similar note, Republican think tank asking for Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to resign.

It is unacceptable for the Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to ever participate in political stunts. The events of June 1st will linger in infamy: 45 minutes of authoritarian theater culminating in an outbreak of violence against Americans peacefully exercising their rights.

Retired Gen. John Allen joined Mattis in another stinging rebuke of Clownstick. These retired generals give voice and presence to the current generals, in case the insane moment comes when they should refuse a Presidential order.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/03/trump-military-george-floyd-protests/
The president stood in front of St. John’s, holding a Bible aloft, and expropriated the image of the church, the Holy Bible, and the Christian faith as the backdrop and basis for his words and deeds in dealing with this crisis. It wasn’t enough that peaceful protesters had just been deprived of their first-amendment rights—this photo-op sought to legitimize that abuse with a layer of religion. To make matters worse, he was joined in the church photo-op by the other members of his staff and cabinet, including the press secretary, the chief of staff, and the national security advisor. Much worse still, he was joined in the picture by Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Attorney General William Barr.

<snip>

So, what is to be done? At nearly the same moment that Americans were being beaten near the White House on behalf of their president, George Floyd’s brother Terrence Floyd visited the site of George’s murder. Overcome with grief and anger, he loudly upbraided the crowd for tarnishing his brother’s memory with violence and looting. And then he told Americans what to do: vote. “Educate yourselves,” he said, “there’s a lot of us.” So, while June 1 could easily be confused with a day of shame and peril if we listen to Donald Trump, if instead we listen to Terrence Floyd, it is a day of hope. So mark your calendars—this could be the beginning of the change of American democracy not to illiberalism, but to enlightenment. But it will have to come from the bottom up. For at the White House, there is no one home.

When I heard him talk last night, all I could think was it's about fucking time! Why does it take people so long to speak up about Trump's incompetency and misguided proposals!

When I heard him talk last night, all I could think was it's about fucking time! Why does it take people so long to speak up about Trump's incompetency and misguided proposals!
FWIW, I think this is pretty remarkable that they are speaking, out as these level of generals don't normally openly criticize a sitting president. I am glad they are, and this might have been the right time for such people to step up to the plate. Hopefully it will make a few more Repugs think more about the issues and just how bad Clownstick is. Next we need GWB to endorse Biden...if only...

FWIW, I think this is pretty remarkable that they are speaking, out as these level of generals don't normally openly criticize a sitting president. I am glad they are, and this might have been the right time for such people to step up to the plate. Hopefully it will make a few more Repugs think more about the issues and just how bad Clownstick is. Next we need GWB to endorse Biden...if only...

There have been a lot of rumors lately that Bush WOULD endorse Biden. He's been coming pretty close.

If enough military drops on this guy, can we possibly have a 1988 like election outcome? I know '84 is too much to ask.

I did read at another board a Trump supporter referred to Mattis as an "alsoran". Trump supporters are all-in.

If enough military drops on this guy, can we possibly have a 1988 like election outcome? I know '84 is too much to ask.

I did read at another board a Trump supporter referred to Mattis as an "alsoran". Trump supporters are all-in.

I've got one Facebook friend (a former co-worker) who joined the Marines awhile back and was ecstatic when Mattis was hired. He's been curiously silent about this so far.

In fact among the military veterans I know - from Vietnam to Iraq War 2.0, Electric Boogaloo - they've all been pretty quiet on social media about this latest development.

Well, i was glancing thru some conservative sites, andi am glad Mattis spoke out against Trump.
Imagine, if he hadn't dissed the Clownstick, i might never have known he was gay, HIV positive, cowardly, anal-obsessed, liberal, secretly Democrat, Deep State operative who took pay from Bozos (sic) to screw Hillary when Bill was too busy. Certainly puts his comments in perspective.

Well, i was glancing thru some conservative sites, andi am glad Mattis spoke out against Trump.
Imagine, if he hadn't dissed the Clownstick, i might never have known he was gay, HIV positive, cowardly, anal-obsessed, liberal, secretly Democrat, Deep State operative who took pay from Bozos (sic) to screw Hillary when Bill was too busy. Certainly puts his comments in perspective.

Glad to see that unswerving conservative support for the military.

Glad to see that unswerving conservative support for the military.
Innit? Makes you damn proud to be within arm's reach of an American.

Also explains all those snake-in-the-grass flags!

Gen. Mattis, Gen. Martin Dempsey, and even Mark Esper have all "come out" in the last few days to criticize Trump, and I don't think it's a coincidence.
I believe they are warning active duty military not to entertain any notion that Trump might have of using them to keep himself in power.

This is the benefit of teaching "both sides" of the argument.

Mark Kelly also just supported Mattis. Heck, he was Trump’s chief of staff. If only the active duty military would stand up against this fucktard.

ETA: but now Esper is apparently cleared by Trump to stay on which means he caved. I had such hopes for him.

Gen. Mattis, Gen. Martin Dempsey, and even Mark Esper have all "come out" in the last few days to criticize Trump, and I don't think it's a coincidence.
I believe they are warning active duty military not to entertain any notion that Trump might have of using them to keep himself in power.

Also, it is not unusual that in times of upheaval, the senior enlisted of the sevices caution the soldiers, sailors, Marines to recall their duty, their oaths, their command priorites. Kind of a nudge, nudge, don't make waves, warning, warning.
Last week, senior Air Force and Navy enlisted both reminded their people You Have A Right To Protest. You can join the protests. Don't do it in uniform, but you still have the right to self expression.

This is out of the blue. It makes no sense to encourage controversy inside the ranks unless, maybe, they are trying to say, 'be prepared to refuse illegal orders' without actually spelling it out.

Also, it is not unusual that in times of upheaval, the senior enlisted of the sevices caution the soldiers, sailors, Marines to recall their duty, their oaths, their command priorites. Kind of a nudge, nudge, don't make waves, warning, warning.
Last week, senior Air Force and Navy enlisted both reminded their people You Have A Right To Protest. You can join the protests. Don't do it in uniform, but you still have the right to self expression.

This is out of the blue. It makes no sense to encourage controversy inside the ranks unless, maybe, they are trying to say, 'be prepared to refuse illegal orders' without actually spelling it out.

Exactly my thought. It's a real spectacle, and would reek of insubordination if in the past any senior military officer (let alone a bunch of them) had ever intimated that their Commander in Chief might be preparing to try to overthrow the government.

I presume that Metaphor, who scoffed at the idea of Trump ever trying any funny business if he were to lose the election, thinks that these generals are as deluded as I am. I consider that a compliment, and wish I could bestow the same praise upon Meta.

Exactly my thought. It's a real spectacle, and would reek of insubordination if in the past any senior military officer (let alone a bunch of them) had ever intimated that their Commander in Chief might be preparing to try to overthrow the government.

I presume that Metaphor, who scoffed at the idea of Trump ever trying any funny business if he were to lose the election, thinks that these generals are as deluded as I am. I consider that a compliment, and wish I could bestow the same praise upon Meta.
I have some insider information here. The DoD has sent out specific guidelines lately, stating how disobeying illegal orders works. I won't share any actual emails, but it seems like the DoD is trying to get in front of this, and preparing for the potential (probably minority, based on my experience) military trumpsuckers trying to get their subordinates to do their bidding.

Back
Top Bottom