• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Freedom Of Speech?

The government may force you ta bake a cake or rent out a room to people who's lifestyle you disagree with. Failure to comply will have serious ramifications and consequences.

In what way does the private sex life of the recipient of one of your regular business products affect a person's free speech? I mean, unless they are either having sex right there in front of you or forcing you to engage in sex against your will? Genuine question.

There is no law against saying "I hate gays" while you hand a customer a non-sexual cake. Only against refusing to sell them something that you happily sell to others.

The government may force you ta bake a cake or rent out a room to people who's lifestyle you disagree with...
Blacks too. You have to bake cakes for blacks.

Nope. The government can't force you to bake a cake for anyone.

But it can stop you from running a business of any kind (including one which bakes cakes), if you refuse to serve any group of customers for specified reasons that are unrelated to the business transaction.

So you only have to bake cakes for blacks and gays if you want to run a business that bakes cakes.

If you only want to bake cakes as a private activity unrelated to doing business, you can bake (or not bake) cakes for anyone, at your totally free discretion - no matter how massively bigoted your reasons might be.

Freedom of speech also includes the right to tell you to shut up. There is nothing in our Constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech that says anyone has to agree with you, be nice to you, or even tolerate you.

The First Amendment defines how the government may deal with you and your right to free speech. Relationships between citizens is not covered.

Nailed it!

In my experience, there's a whole lot of people walking around very, very upset that "PC culture" is mandating they not act like an asshole in public. These are usually the people that like to call liberals "snowflakes" and such, but damn they do get their undies in a bunch if you say "Happy Holidays" for example, or say something blasphemous to Christianity. Free speech has nothing to do with what we the people can say to each other. It only means that the government cannot stifle your expression of political ideas in opposition to the government, or punish you for expressing such opinions.

You're still free to say nigger and fuck and sockfucker and bullshit. Just not on radio or tv channels that are subject to government regulation. You also cannot use the airwaves to incite people to commit crimes.
And saying shut up is not any different than saying don't use those words because they make people feel bad. To say so is sophistry.
Wrong.
Limiting your ability to use certain expressions in certain comments is NOT the same as shutting you up completely.

he's got you on sophistry, Keith, and you just doubled down on it--governments do impinge on freedom of speech in some ways. In order to advance your argument, you need to defend why those ways are acceptable, rather than simply reaffirming that yes, in America, government does "limit your ability to use certain expressions" (which despite a rather feeble spin in your phrasing is government censorship).

So if I'm hearing you correctly, your argument is, "being unable to say 'nigger' prevents me from getting my message across! "

which despite a rather feeble spin in your phrasing is government censorship.
Well, yes, censorship. I wasn't arguing that there's no such thing.

But Ray's arguing a complete lack of any freedom of speech, because society has some censorship, in some places.

I dunno about sophistry, but he is projecting a certain sense of entitlement. If his rights are not infinite, he hasn't got any... I disagree.

Nah, he's just in a timeout.

Rayschism has three red asterisks next to his name--I'm guessing that means he's in the sin bin.

Back
Top Bottom