• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

General Photography Thread

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Well, there is a thread specific for Wildlife, so I thought I'd make with a general one.

Just got a Sony a68 and OMG is that thing impressive for a less than $600 chassis. No WIFI or NFT, but I feel like I'm cheating using this thing. I tested it out, and was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't have a remote shutter input like my previous Sony Alpha. So I was stuck with a max 30 second shutter time, unless I get a couple cables for field use. Turns out, 30 seconds was probably the right exposure. Only modification was resizing it for sharing here. Serious focus issues here, mainly because everything is generally in motion due to the train or wind. I thought it was absurd that it can focus with an ND10 filter on it.

DSC00025 (1024x683).jpg

Manhattan from the flight deck of the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Galaxy s6 Edge+ . handheld, HDR on.

20151217_221908.jpg

I have a Canon EOS6D and a range of lenses, but phone cameras are blowing them away...plus you're more likely to be carrying a phone. more of the time.

Anyone else getting forced to resize to 2048 x 2048 max by VBulletin? Given that my phone camera takes much bigger and better than that, should we ask if the Admins will up the size limit?

Curious: just how good are camera phones getting these days? What phone should a former serious SLR enthusiast be looking at?

Curious: just how good are camera phones getting these days? What phone should a former serious SLR enthusiast be looking at?

They are getting superb. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with two 12MP dual-pixel cameras facing forward, both with OIS, and a third 8MP camera for selfies. One has standard 1x zoom, the other 2x. The resolution is incredible. I have added a Ztylus Revolver 4-lens carousel, so i now have a full suite of lenses which fit in a pocket. My Canon EOS 6D and lenses cost almost $6000, and the phone camera is often just as good, at under a 6th of the price. All the photos I posted on this thread, and the wildlife thread were taken on phone cameras. As the old cliche says, the best camera is the one you have with you. I love my DSLR, but carrying it and all the lenses is inconvenient.

They are getting superb. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with two 12MP dual-pixel cameras facing forward, both with OIS, and a third 8MP camera for selfies. One has standard 1x zoom, the other 2x. The resolution is incredible. I have added a Ztylus Revolver 4-lens carousel, so i now have a full suite of lenses which fit in a pocket. My Canon EOS 6D and lenses cost almost $6000, and the phone camera is often just as good, at under a 6th of the price. All the photos I posted on this thread, and the wildlife thread were taken on phone cameras. As the old cliche says, the best camera is the one you have with you. I love my DSLR, but carrying it and all the lenses is inconvenient.

Cool. Thanks.

What's your opinion/knowledge about iphones camerawise? I'm kinda tied into apple because it's what I use for my work (designer) so I'm probs going to be sticking with mac as a computer, and ipad, and hence by extension an iphone, because of interoperability.

Couldn't agree more about the inconvenience of SLRs. If I get similar quality from a phone, I'm ditching my SLR. Personally, I go back to 1979, a manual, non-digital Zenith and developing my own pics, so I'll be a bit sad, but times change.

I ask because I'm at a point in time where both my Camera (Canon Rebel, 2007 vintage) and phone (iphone SE) arguably could be upgraded, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone. Should I move from Apple to get a better camera is my question.

I sometimes print and frame, but never more than A3 size, so if the differences are minimal at that size, it's not going to be an issue for me, even if it still is for commercial/professional photographers.

I guess I should also look into whether stuff like the zytlus revolver are either avialable for or compatible with an iphone.

Nice pics by the way, yours.

Last edited:

Cool. Thanks.

What's your opinion/knowledge about iphones camerawise? I'm kinda tied into apple because it's what I use for my work (designer) so I'm probs going to be sticking with mac as a computer, and ipad, and hence by extension an iphone, because of interoperability.

Couldn't agree more about the inconvenience of SLRs. If I get similar quality from a phone, I'm ditching my SLR.

I ask because I'm at a point in time where both my Camera (Canon Rebel 2007) and phone (iphone 6) arguably could be upgraded, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone.

The newer iPhone cameras are also excellent. The 8 and the X are really good. They don't have the same innovations that Android is currently enjoying, like dual cameras side by side, but they share the add-ons market like the Ztylus lens kits, and just make sense from a convenience point of view. Plus, you can send photos/videos immediately from a phone. Even my EOS6D, which has WiFi doesn't make sharing so convenient. Also.the on-camera extra processing and editing is now just incredible. i've hardly used my DSLR in 2 years since phone cameras became so good.

I wouldn't hesitate to make the move, and I would never have said that even 3 years ago.

Phones make all of the decisions and make with the post processing. There is no artistic effort with a phone camera.

No pics to post but..

I'm going on the trip of a lifetime at the end of September and I'm thinking about upgrading my digital camera. Could anyone point me in the right direction for something in the 400 - 600 range? I don't need fireworks, just an all around solid entry-level camera.

Keep in mind I also just bought a new Samsung Galaxy A5.. but I don't know if I trust it for the trip.

Cool. Thanks.

Couldn't agree more about the inconvenience of SLRs. If I get similar quality from a phone, I'm ditching my SLR. Personally, I go back to 1979, a manual, non-digital Zenith and developing my own pics, so I'll be a bit sad, but times change.

I ask because I'm at a point in time where both my Camera (Canon Rebel, 2007 vintage) and phone (iphone SE) arguably could be upgraded, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone. Should I move from Apple to get a better camera is my question.

I sometimes print and frame, but never more than A3 size, so if the differences are minimal at that size, it's not going to be an issue for me, even if it still is for commercial/professional photographers.

I guess I should also look into whether stuff like the zytlus revolver are either avialable for or compatible with an iphone.

Nice pics by the way, yours.

Ztylus is made first for iPhone..enjoy

No pics to post but..

I'm going on the trip of a lifetime at the end of September and I'm thinking about upgrading my digital camera. Could anyone point me in the right direction for something in the 400 - 600 range? I don't need fireworks, just an all around solid entry-level camera.
I like the info available here. Cheaper cameras mean giving and taking on what you really want verses what you are willing to give up.

Back
Top Bottom