• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Georgia toddler dies in hot car, father to be charged with murder

Evidence of the father sexting women at work is directly related to the crime. It goes to motive.

Also, the judge at the hearing cited another red flag:

"For him to enter the car ... when the child had been dead and rigor mortis had set in, and the testimony is the stench in the car was overwhelming at that point in time, that he -- in spite of that -- got in the car and drove it for some distance before he took any action to check on the welfare of his child, I find there is probable cause for the two charges contained in the warrant," Cox told a packed courtroom.

I hadn't thought of the corpse having a smell, I'm not sure how long that would take, but I did think that even when he checked the car at lunchtime - even if he hadn't looked towards the car seat to jog his memory, the child surely would have filled the diaper with urine at the least, and most likely feces as well. In the confines of a hot car, this should have caused an immediate reaction due to the odor. Certainly when he was done working if not at lunch.

It indicates he's not all that committed to his family, and lends credence to the prosecution's theory he wanted to be free of certain familial obligations. The insurance money is another possible motive, and one he might have shared with his wife.

It indicates he's not all that committed to his family, and lends credence to the prosecution's theory he wanted to be free of certain familial obligations. The insurance money is another possible motive, and one he might have shared with his wife.

Although all the other evidences against him is pretty strong, this one is pretty flimsy.

Although all the other evidences against him is pretty strong, this one is pretty flimsy.

No argument there. But Derec was objecting to it being mentioned at all.

The sexting has relevance. In the end it might not become part of the Prosecution's case at trial, but it's worthy of at least mentioning at a bail hearing. The judge is ruling on both the strength of the Prosecution's case and on the chances the guy is a flight risk. If he has relationships with multiple women, it indicates his ties to his family aren't all that strong and increases the chances he might bolt.

Where did you read this? Through the afternoon I heard everything that Braces mentioned, plus that the father was sexting with two or three other women (including a 17-year old).
Why should that matter? It serves only one purpose - to inflame the public, the judge and the jury (both grand and petit) against him. Therefore it is prejudicial and not probative and should not have been allowed in the hearing. As far as his guilt (which seems very likely given what we know so far) it does not matter if he was sexting or praying in his local Southern Baptist church while his son was roasting.

It indicates a possible motive - that he didn't want to be obligated to his child. Likewise that he was allegedly visiting "child-free" forums

No argument there. But Derec was objecting to it being mentioned at all.

The sexting has relevance. In the end it might not become part of the Prosecution's case at trial, but it's worthy of at least mentioning at a bail hearing. The judge is ruling on both the strength of the Prosecution's case and on the chances the guy is a flight risk. If he has relationships with multiple women, it indicates his ties to his family aren't all that strong and increases the chances he might bolt.
The bit about his sexting was indeed part of the bond/bail hearing pointing to his living a double life,

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/hearing-for-dad-in-georgia-hot-suv-child-death?.

Harris was exchanging nude photos with several women, including teenagers, even on the day his son died when he was at work, Stoddard said.
That pretty much damages the image of a doting father whose mind would be dwelling on his son's well being while at work on the very day he left him in his vehicle for such an extended time.

I am certain you already understand why such detail contributed to the Judge not granting a release on bond, but I will still explain the why for derec's benefit :
Had there been a crisis at work which would preoccupy the accused's mind to the point of forgetting other realities, this entire drama could be conceivably interpreted as a matter of accidental negligence. However, I am rather certain that "exchanging nude pics" does not constitute a crisis of any sort rather a clear indication of the accused having consciously made a choice which contributed to his dismissing the ultimate priority of safeguarding his son's well being.

Where did you read this? Through the afternoon I heard everything that Braces mentioned, plus that the father was sexting with two or three other women (including a 17-year old).
Why should that matter? It serves only one purpose - to inflame the public, the judge and the jury (both grand and petit) against him. Therefore it is prejudicial and not probative and should not have been allowed in the hearing. As far as his guilt (which seems very likely given what we know so far) it does not matter if he was sexting or praying in his local Southern Baptist church while his son was roasting.

The fact that one of the girls is 17 does not matter either as age of consent is 16 in Georgia anyway. Also I don't think she was a prisoner either. :tonguea:

Yes, the media is clearly conspiring to railroad this obviously innocent man. It's part of a liberal plot, I tell you!

Well, they do tend to attract "family values" types, which could explain this.

- - - Updated - - -

Source?

If this is valid, I have nothing but hatred for this couple. To kill an infant for the life insurance money because you're in a bind is something I simply can't wrap my head around.

The detective on the case is quoted on CNN as saying they had two policies, one for $2000 and one for $25000. The parents are looking more and more like scum.

Taking life insurance out on your kid in inherently creepy and suspicious.

4th red flag- both the mother and father had been researching "temperature at which a child may die if left in a car" (or some such variation) prior to their son's death.

Agreed, so far this is the biggest red flag of all. That could change should even bigger red flags become known after my reply.

In this day and age, it is inconceivable that a parent in the USA would not know of the possible dangers to a young child or baby of leaving them alone in a hot car. The fact this man left a child in a car alone is suspicious enough, let alone all day (even after going back to the car).

The detective on the case is quoted on CNN as saying they had two policies, one for $2000 and one for $25000. The parents are looking more and more like scum.

Taking life insurance out on your kid in inherently creepy and suspicious.

No, it's not. It's actually prudent to have term life insurance on minors and is routinely done because it is a way to cover final expenses should the child die before becoming independent. It's also pretty cheap to insure a child. I think the average cost of a funeral is about $14K, which does not include a burial plot nor headstone. The total of the two insurance policies would cover final expenses and probably leave something after but this is not a huge payout.

The increasingly probable possibility that this man went back to the car at lunch-time to see if the kid was dead yet, determined he was NOT and left him there longer to finish the job just blows my heart right out of my body.

Back
Top Bottom