• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Getting High Is Just As Good Now As An Atheist

Trying to have a logical debate on drugs with a drug user is like trying to point out negatives of religion to a Christian.
Not unlike trying to discuss it with a “drugs are evil” type.

How long should one use a drug with no discernible ill effect before concluding that it is innocuous?
Right no ill effects to many celebrities like Morgan Freeman or Cheech And Chong.
Willie Nelson only stopped smoking to take better care of his lungs, but says he never stopped using cannabis.

How old are you btw, your spelling is shitty, and you sound like some 12-year-old.
Gain a better brain.

Steve is no dummy. Neither is he a spring chicken. The typos and misspellings he puts down to poor eyesight and physical ailment. I think his main objection to pot is unfounded, and his conclusions about it are relics of age-related ossification of opinion. (There may be drug that helps with that :) )
But that’s just my take, based on over a half century of smoking pot and a couple of decades or more of reading Steve’s posts.
Well maybe with better research he might see why I am so opposed to his opinions.
Much of what he posted can be proved false, but what do I know I have been using all my life with no ill effects.
In fact it helps my anxiety and depression. It does not make it worse, it helps better then what I am prescribed.

To me, its a drug. Medical benefits are almost commonsense to me. It seems to settle people down.

As far a recreationally, I would seriously consider switching alcohol and herb on the legal list. I mean other than road rage for the impaired driver sitting through the green light, it seems a lot less violent.
It's utterly clear that weed is far safer than alcohol.
Some of the long term studies being reported might say otherwise. Possible long term loss of cognitive ability.
Possible long term loss of cognitive ability is safer than demonstrated short term loss of cognitive ability.

Perhaps you would understand that if you had consumed less alcohol in your youth.

I really enjoy growing it. I give away as much as I can, but it still accumulates.
This year I have just two smallish plants. If it works out, I’ll be throwing away all the 1-2 year old buds, as the strain I’m growing now is my all time favorite.

1658522802945.jpeg

I am not saying drugs are any more or less 'evil' than any of the other vices.

In the past I would have said it is personal choice. Today I don't see it as a personal choice. Drugs affect society as a whole.

I see it outside my buliding door. I see in the nearby park. I see osenior people in my building with long time crack addiction and pot addiction.

Kids are dying from fentanyl bought on the street.

Pot is a part of our modern self indulgent 24/7 instant graificaion self centered me culture. The word is decadent. A large number of people have the means and time to sit around getting high, previously the domain of the upper middle class and above.

Pot for some has become a kind of cult, a way of life.

When you buy illegal drugs keep in mind where that money ultimately goes.

Cheech and Chong? Chong ended up as a space case. Anybody up for a game of 'find your feet'?

Of course this is America and I have a right to be self destructive regardless of who it affects.

I am not saying drugs are any more or less 'evil' than any of the other vices.

In the past I would have said it is personal choice. Today I don't see it as a personal choice. Drugs affect society as a whole.

I see it outside my buliding door. I see in the nearby park. I see osenior people in my building with long time crack addiction and pot addiction.

Kids are dying from fentanyl bought on the street.

Pot is a part of our modern self indulgent 24/7 instant graificaion self centered me culture. The word is decadent. A large number of people have the means and time to sit around getting high, previously the domain of the upper middle class and above.

Pot for some has become a kind of cult, a way of life.

When you buy illegal drugs keep in mind where that money ultimately goes.

Cheech and Chong? Chong ended up as a space case. Anybody up for a game of 'find your feet'?

Of course this is America and I have a right to be self destructive regardless of who it affects.
So keeping them all illegal is the right choice?
Not helping now when do you think it would ever work?

The laws have never worked, and separating POT from other drugs is our goal.

We are not lazy asses doing nothing, I have done quite a lot high. And will continue to do so.

I have my card for my State, so I get it legally. Not like the feds can not arrest me. LOL.

I don't think kids should use drugs because their brains aren't fully developed. The only evidence I've found concerning negative effects of using THC is in regard to teenagers, especially young teenagers.

I have mentioned that I joke about a new dementia known as THC dementia, but that would be hard to prove. The most common cause of dementia, especially AD, is old age. Once we make it to 85, our chances of getting AD escalate. I think it would be hard to prove that THC caused dementia, unless we are talking about the guy mentioned in one study, who smoked 5 joints a day. In a case like that, sure there are risks. Most users only use a small amount in the evening or on the weekends. There is even a drug for AD that has THC in it. I mentioned that I only had one patient that used that drug and it didn't seem to help. We don't have any good treatments for any type of dementia at this point and some people who don't have a single risk factor, still end up with dementia. My mother is an example of this. She never smoked, drank or used any drugs. She wasn't over weight, exercised daily, never had high BP etc. But once she made it past 85, she began having symptoms of AD.

Having said all that, many if not most people slow down at least a little as they age. In recent years, I've had trouble remembering names although I can still tell you the price of just about anything I buy at the grocery store. Weird right? I have friends my age who have never used THC, and who don't drink, who have worse memories than mine. I take several Rx. drugs that can have a negative impact on my cognition. One is a potentially life saving drug, so I take that risk. Without my narcotic pain reliever, I'd be miserable and unable to do my daily aerobic routine or clean my house. We all do things or take things that have some risks. For all we know, spending a lot of time online, might be harmful to our cognitive health. It can speed up the development of cataracts. It might be a risk factor for other things as well, but I enjoy it enough to take those risks.

Since none of us are going to get out of here alive, I don't see why using THC or even ETOH in moderation is a bad thing. People who are obese put a much larger strain on the health care system. Obesity, which well over a third of Americans suffer from, is a huge risk factor for many serious diseases, but I don't judge those folks negatively any more than I judge drug users. We have yet to figure out why some people have bad eating habits. Imo, it's cruel to judge people who are obese. Maybe it's as simple as the fact that we have way too much food available these days, and people tend to be less active. Medical science hasn't figured it out, and neither have I. I don't like it when people are judgmental. We are all victims or benefactors of our genetic and environmental influences. But, I digress. :confused:

Some of the long term studies being reported might say otherwise. Possible long term loss of cognitive ability.

Some? Might?
Got any examples?
good point ...

I say that because I don't see as many car accidents blamed on weed. And I don't think I have ever heard of a weed soaked father beating the crap out of their family.

But as you pointed out ... not all that scientific is it.

Some? Might?
Got any examples?
good point ...

I say that because I don't see as many car accidents blamed on weed. And I don't think I have ever heard of a weed soaked father beating the crap out of their family.

Agreed; weed intoxication doesn’t seem to lead to violence or terrible driving like alcohol does.
For some reason nobody seems to want to do the rigorous studies that could bear this out or falsify it. Prob’ly too stoned to give a rat’s ass.

And you posted a .gov website, I do not trust anything which is funded by the Government.

PS

Just about all of that can be proved false. The Government's current job is to say anything to keep it illegal.
Name 10 people who got cancer as a direct cause of pot.
There's no way to prove X caused cancer Y, thus you are setting an impossible bar. All you can do is observe that people exposed to X are more likely to get cancer Y, thus showing that some cases of Y came from X. You can't prove it in an individual case.

As for whether it ever causes cancer--I would be amazed if the answer were no. Combustion products of large organic molecules tend to be unhealthy to breathe, there's no reason to think pot is somehow immune to this pattern. Is it a big cause of cancer? Probably not.

There is no doubt that pot is nowhere near as harmful as the other commonly burnt recreational item: tobacco. As such, I can see no justification for it being illegal. (I do, however, feel that the default should be not permitted around others who are not specifically consenting.)

Some? Might?
Got any examples?
good point ...

Some? Might?
Got any examples?
good point ...

Agreed; weed intoxication doesn’t seem to lead to violence or terrible driving like alcohol does.
For some reason nobody seems to want to do the rigorous studies that could bear this out or falsify it. Prob’ly too stoned to give a rat’s ass.
And you posted a .gov website, I do not trust anything which is funded by the Government.

PS

Just about all of that can be proved false. The Government's current job is to say anything to keep it illegal.
Name 10 people who got cancer as a direct cause of pot.
There's no way to prove X caused cancer Y, thus you are setting an impossible bar. All you can do is observe that people exposed to X are more likely to get cancer Y, thus showing that some cases of Y came from X. You can't prove it in an individual case.

As for whether it ever causes cancer--I would be amazed if the answer were no. Combustion products of large organic molecules tend to be unhealthy to breathe, there's no reason to think pot is somehow immune to this pattern. Is it a big cause of cancer? Probably not.

There is no doubt that pot is nowhere near as harmful as the other commonly burnt recreational item: tobacco. As such, I can see no justification for it being illegal. (I do, however, feel that the default should be not permitted around others who are not specifically consenting.)
Been wanting to post for awhile but am trying not to start anything, as there's too many people who still trust the Government websites on this. NOT saying I don't trust any .gov websites, like noaa.gov I do trust. Just saying I don't trust .gov websites when it comes to cannabis.

The truth isn't going to be listed on a .gov website their job is still trying to give it a bad name and keep it illegal.

Sorry I took so damn long to post.

Been wanting to post for awhile but am trying not to start anything, as there's too many people who still trust the Government websites on this. NOT saying I don't trust any .gov websites, like noaa.gov I do trust. Just saying I don't trust .gov websites when it comes to cannabis.

The truth isn't going to be listed on a .gov website their job is still trying to give it a bad name and keep it illegal.

Yeah, when it's politics vs science expect politics to win--government websites will only do science to the point it doesn't interfere with important positions. Just like when it's business vs science expect business to win--don't trust corporate websites to show you why not to buy their product.

Yeah, when it's politics vs science expect politics to win--government websites will only do science to the point it doesn't interfere with important positions. Just like when it's business vs science expect business to win--don't trust corporate websites to show you why not to buy their product.
Yuppers. Science has rules. It has to answer to observations for the most part. Politics deploys any tactic it needs to in order to get the "vote". The "vote" is far more important than reliability. Avoidance, diversion, deception, and silencing are its bread and butter.

Keep in mind tho, some scientist are very capable politicians. They are human and have ample quantities of human peculiarities

Keep in mind tho, some scientist are very capable politicians.
Hmph.
There may be some politicians with science degrees, but they (generally) are not practicing science. There are no elected scientists though - Donald Trump’s claims to know more about everything than scientists do notwithstanding.

Keep in mind tho, some scientist are very capable politicians.
Hmph.
There may be some politicians with science degrees, but they (generally) are not practicing science. There are no elected scientists though - Donald Trump’s claims to know more about everything than scientists do notwithstanding.

I actually used "politician" as more of an adjective than a job description here.

Btw, is it 4:20 yet?
Jerry Garcia died shortly after 4am
:( if I remember right, he was in rehab and his body was not use to not having the drugs in it. In other words he died trying to get clean.
Sad story.

Yes, and his unfortunate addiction to hot dogs. Sad day. That morning on the way to work I was filling my gas and the gas station was playing Loose Lucy, and I'm like, this must be bad.

Btw, is it 4:20 yet?
Jerry Garcia died shortly after 4am
:( if I remember right, he was in rehab and his body was not use to not having the drugs in it. In other words he died trying to get clean.
Sad story.

Yes, and his unfortunate addiction to hot dogs. Sad day. That morning on the way to work I was filling my gas and the gas station was playing Loose Lucy, and I'm like, this must be bad.
Garcia died in his room at the rehabilitation clinic on August 9, 1995.[13][119] The cause of death was a heart attack.[120][121] Garcia had long struggled with drug addiction,[13]

If it were only the hot dogs, maybe that did help. But I would say not, it was probably the lack of drugs.

Back
Top Bottom