• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ginsburg has passed!!

I think it is interesting that Romney voted to impeach Trump... but is fine with letting a person that should have been impeached, to put another Justice on the Bench. The Mormon Church is quite good with a Christian Theocracy that this seat provides them.

Man, I bet all those libertarians are blushing now!

That Romney at times can be loved and hated by both Republicans and Democrats makes him perhaps the most ethical politician in DC.

I think you are reading way too much into Jimmy's post. I am not sure why you jumped to emotional feelings instead of well-reasoned posts either. Whether or not you are in love with Romney, Jimmy never said he hated him. I think Jimmy instead correctly identified the problem which is that religion is interfering with politics. So, Romney may have been rational re:Trump but then later doing something bad for the country because the Mormons want Christostan.

See, what you did was assign emotional response to Jimmy--like when Romney votes with Democrats, Jimmy loves him and when he votes with Republicans, you are in love with him. But that is wrong for another reason and that is because Democrat/Republican majority votes are only correlated with Jimmy's position on the two different instances. It just so happens that impeachment would have been good for America and Christostan is bad for America. So, this is correlation vs causation. The true cause of Jimmy's opinions are that he expects politicians to vote for the good of the country. See? Now that's true (again) whether or not you admit that you love Romney when he votes Republican.

I think it is interesting that Romney voted to impeach Trump... but is fine with letting a person that should have been impeached, to put another Justice on the Bench. The Mormon Church is quite good with a Christian Theocracy that this seat provides them.

That Romney at times can be loved and hated by both Republicans and Democrats makes him perhaps the most ethical politician in DC.

I think you are reading way too much into Jimmy's post. I am not sure why you jumped to emotional feelings instead of well-reasoned posts either. Whether or not you are in love with Romney, Jimmy never said he hated him. I think Jimmy instead correctly identified the problem which is that religion is interfering with politics. So, Romney may have been rational re:Trump but then later doing something bad for the country because the Mormons want Christostan.

See, what you did was assign emotional response to Jimmy--like when Romney votes with Democrats, Jimmy loves him and when he votes with Republicans, you are in love with him. But that is wrong for another reason and that is because Democrat/Republican majority votes are only correlated with Jimmy's position on the two different instances. It just so happens that impeachment would have been good for America and Christostan is bad for America. So, this is correlation vs causation. The true cause of Jimmy's opinions are that he expects politicians to vote for the good of the country. See? Now that's true (again) whether or not you admit that you love Romney when he votes Republican.

Didn’t mention Jimmy.

Romney voted to remove Trump from office.

One of the major perks of the Presidency, naming SCOTUS nominees.

For someone who thought should no longer be President, it is peculiar that they’d support them here, unless of course it benefits the development of a Theocratic Supreme Court which this selection most likely will.

Romney the Windsock. Well, actually he almost votes in footstep with Trump if we really want to get technical.

For someone who thought should no longer be President, it is peculiar that they’d support them here, unless of course it benefits the development of a Theocratic Supreme Court which this selection most likely will.

Romney the Windsock. Well, actually he almost votes in footstep with Trump if we really want to get technical.

Surely whether Romney, or anybody, wants to support a candidate for SCOTUS, it should depend on what they think of the candidate, not what they think of the person who recommended the candidate?

Surely whether Romney, or anybody, wants to support a candidate for SCOTUS, it should depend on what they think of the candidate, not what they think of the person who recommended the candidate?

Are you new to this forum?

You spelt mercurial wrong

He's not mercurial at all. People who thought there was ever a chance that Romney wouldn't vote to approve Trump's SC nomination is, frankly, not fit to comment on politics.

He's a conservative senator from one of the most conservative states in the US, indeed, I think it is the most pro-life state in the US.

Yeah, Romney's not constant as the Northern Star. Hus morals serve his ambition.
He tried to attract gay support by hiring an openly gay staffer, and dropped him like a hot potato when the RNC expressed distaste. But the gay community around here remembered that when the Mass court allowed gay marriage, he tried to fight it using a law created back when some states made interracial marriage illegal.

I saw a meme on Twitter the other day that was funny, but true, paraphrasing:

'If an old lady dying breaks your entire system, the system was already broken'

Yeah, but the old lady didn't break the system.

I am weary to the bottom of my soul with all of the crybaby lazy 'the system is broken' crappola. My own personal conspiracy theory is that the phrase was specifically developed to get people to distrust their institutions instead of fixing problems as they come up or are recognized. Everything is flawed. That's a fact. Flaw is not the same thing as broken. So (and this is not directed at you, honestly) Fuck that shit, grow a pair, put on your working clothes and get to work making things better.

That said, RBG was not an old lady. In the very best of times, her loss would be enormous as well as inevitable. In these times, the reactions and actions of too many make her loss frightening and horrific.

I am weary to the bottom of my soul with all of the crybaby lazy 'the system is broken' crappola. My own personal conspiracy theory is that the phrase was specifically developed to get people to distrust their institutions instead of fixing problems as they come up or are recognized. Everything is flawed. That's a fact. Flaw is not the same thing as broken. So (and this is not directed at you, honestly) Fuck that shit, grow a pair, put on your working clothes and get to work making things better.

That said, RBG was not an old lady. In the very best of times, her loss would be enormous as well as inevitable. In these times, the reactions and actions of too many make her loss frightening and horrific.

That's true - for many it likely is just a call to be lazy. But it does highlight the endemic problem in the U.S. well. When Ginsburg died absolutely everyone raced to posture politically about which party would assign the next justice, but how many people were focused on the real issue - that the process of assigning a justice is broken.

The problems that need to be fixed are the structural issues in your government, not plucking the next leaf that comes by. And I think that's what the quote alludes to. If you manage to fix your political process itself, the leaves will become less frequent.

Another good reason to increase the numbers of judges on the court. One member isn't so important.

That's true - for many it likely is just a call to be lazy. But it does highlight the endemic problem in the U.S. well. When Ginsburg died absolutely everyone raced to posture politically about which party would assign the next justice, but how many people were focused on the real issue - that the process of assigning a justice is broken.

The problems that need to be fixed are the structural issues in your government, not plucking the next leaf that comes by. And I think that's what the quote alludes to. If you manage to fix your political process itself, the leaves will become less frequent.

I don’t mean this to be in any way disrespectful but if you believe that your country is immune from this sort of degradation, you are very much mistaken. Sadly. Be forewarned.

Another good reason to increase the numbers of judges on the court. One member isn't so important.
This is dependent on a couple of things: 1) How close is the split; and 2) How consistently does any individual judge vote along party lines.

The senate has 100 members, and a lot of things can come down to 1 vote.

I don’t mean this to be in any way disrespectful but if you believe that your country is immune from this sort of degradation, you are very much mistaken. Sadly. Be forewarned.

Sure. But I don't know why it's implied every time I make a comment about the U.S. that I believe Canada is without problems, or why Canada has to be brought up. This is a thread about the U.S., and the American political system, so I'm commenting on that topic.

Canada is definitely on the decline, but at the same time is considered one of the most stable countries in the world. Where the U.S. has been rapidly falling down the stability index for two decades. That's what I'm commenting on. I'm not making a moral judgement on the U.S. or Americans, I'm making a comment about how Americans might approach changing that trajectory.

In fairness, I don't think this is an American problem, it's a human problem that's happening in the U.S. People, in general, aren't very smart, politicians aren't very smart, and the political process needs to save us from ourselves. In the U.S. the process doesn't seem to be accomplishing this well.

I think that you are wrong that increasing the number of justices will mean that one is not important. They are ALL important.

I also think it is a mistake to think that Ginsberg's importance was limited to being a Supreme Court Justice. Her influence predates her time on the SCOTUS by decades.

Long before she became a judge, she was instrumental in helping to ensure the following:

That women could apply for credit in their own name
That women could lease an apartment or purchase property in their own name
That women could remain or obtain employment while pregnant
That women could obtain birth control without their husband's permission
That women could consent to their own medical treatment
That women could start their own business or obtain a business loan without a male cosigner
That girls and women could play sports in school
That women could receive equal benefits from the state as their male counterparts
That women could receive equal benefits in the military as their male counterparts
That women could legally consume alcohol at the same age as their male counterpats

That men who were not the breadwinners could collect social security benefits if their wife died
That men could collect social security benefits while raising a child if their wife died
That men could be granted the same tax exemptions as women

Among many other laws that she challenged and helped get changed through her work as an attorney.

Sure. But I don't know why it's implied every time I make a comment about the U.S. that I believe Canada is without problems, or why Canada has to be brought up. This is a thread about the U.S., and the American political system, so I'm commenting on that topic.

Canada is definitely on the decline, but at the same time is considered one of the most stable countries in the world. Where the U.S. has been rapidly falling down the stability index for two decades. That's what I'm commenting on. I'm not making a moral judgement on the U.S. or Americans, I'm making a comment about how Americans might approach changing that trajectory.

In fairness, I don't think this is an American problem, it's a human problem that's happening in the U.S. People, in general, aren't very smart, politicians aren't very smart, and the political process needs to save us from ourselves. In the U.S. the process doesn't seem to be accomplishing this well.

Again, I didn't mean to give offense but to point out the danger.

Ginsburg mourners greet Trump with 'vote him out' chant as he arrives at memorial

President Donald Trump was greeted with boos and chants of "vote him out" as he attended the outdoor memorial service for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, visiting her casket at the Supreme Court on Thursday morning.

Trump said later that he and the first lady couldn't hear what was being chanted.

Not a good look six weeks out from an election. Having said that, booing at a funeral is a bit rough. Cue faux outrage from right wingers in 3...2...1

Ginsburg mourners greet Trump with 'vote him out' chant as he arrives at memorial

President Donald Trump was greeted with boos and chants of "vote him out" as he attended the outdoor memorial service for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, visiting her casket at the Supreme Court on Thursday morning.

Trump said later that he and the first lady couldn't hear what was being chanted.

Not a good look six weeks out from an election. Having said that, booing at a funeral is a bit rough. Cue faux outrage from right wingers in 3...2...1
Booing Mr. Trump at a funeral is behaving like Mr. Trump: no class.

Back
Top Bottom