• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God Paradoxes

There are no God paradoxes as he/she/it does not exist.

Yeah, but if you stump up some properties or definitions of "God" then you can find paradoxes, or logical contradictions.
Such paradoxes or contradictions then point to the non-existence of a god with those properties or bound by such definitions.

This supports your contention; "he/she/it does not exist". :evilgrin:

But the problem with religion is that it doesn't end there. It says that God is inscrutable and unknowable, but then goes on to tell you who he is and what he wants. That's where all the silliness starts.
Exactly. At least when it comes to Christianity, in the Bible, we can find scripture after scripture characterizing this--otherwheres in the Bible alleged to be--inscrutable, unknowable concept.

I agree that if God didn't exist you wouldn't be able to make up hypothetical paradoxes.
But since God does exist, it is the paradox which can be accurately described as a mirage.

All the so-called paradoxes mentioned thus far are inventions of the human mind. And if you can use metaphysics to invent a supposed paradox you can just as easily work out a creative metaphysical solution to the paradox.

God can make a rock that He can't lift. Simple. Just call the rock "universe" and eliminate all spatial references to 'up' and 'down'.

Nobody can lift the universe if there's nowhere to lift it 'up' to.

Can God choose not to know something?
Of course He can. If He couldn't, that would itself be a paradox.

Omnipotent being who can't do something? Whatthe...?

It's like the paradox of artificial intelligence.
Any computer scientist smart enough to design artificial intelligence would be smart enough to know how it works and therefore not be fooled.
Yes computers/technology is getting 'smarter' but so too are the people with the intelligent design skills that invent - create - such devices.

I agree that if God didn't exist you wouldn't be able to make up hypothetical paradoxes.
But since God does exist, it is the paradox which can be accurately described as a mirage.

All the so-called paradoxes mentioned thus far are inventions of the human mind. And if you can use metaphysics to invent a supposed paradox you can just as easily work out a creative metaphysical solution to the paradox.

God can make a rock that He can't lift. Simple. Just call the rock "universe" and eliminate all spatial references to 'up' and 'down'.

Nobody can lift the universe if there's nowhere to lift it 'up' to.

So from where did God create the universe and where did he fit it into?

A universe out of nothing is quite plausible.
...both according to the bible and according to Lawrence Krauss.

If you are saying that 'God' is synonymous with 'Maximal Greatness', then I agree.

Thanks. My God is such a weak and pathetic fiction, that I need to be dishonest in his defence. If people ignored my stupid blathering, I would have fewer chances to lie.

Not a problem; I am glad I could help you to be openly deceitful. Lies are always a vital part of religion, and it's nice to see them made so explicit, just in case anyone was unaware.

A universe out of nothing is quite plausible.
...both according to the bible and according to Lawrence Krauss.

If you are saying that 'God' is synonymous with 'Nothing', then I agree.

The last time I said something like that to my dog (sic dog not god), my dog said "Oh, no no no... you are not Nothing... you are my goddam god, a pretty stupid god with absolutely no sense of smell, but my very own god..."
I did not argue.

Well I'm not used to having folks restate my position as being the exact opposite of what I just said.
No bilby, I don't think God is synonymous with nothing.
Yes Juma, I do think God exists.

Well I'm not used to having folks restate my position as being the exact opposite of what I just said.
No bilby, I don't think God is synonymous with nothing.
Yes Juma, I do think God exists.

Then you could answer my first question: which of them?

Back
Top Bottom