• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God's Not Dead

You do know that many other people claim the same sort of salvation and good feelings and inner strength and peace and their gods are nothing like yours, right? And their gods existed before yours.
Don't even have to examine ancient history.
I have taken the sacrament.
I have prayed for guidance and gotten answers.
I have met my Guides from the Inner Peace Movement (8 of them).
I have gone on vision quests and met 3 Totem Animals (although Coyote only said that he's not one of my totem animals).
I've gotten coherent answers from tarot cards and ouija boards, and the Magic 8 Ball (i asked if i should buy the 8 ball and turned it over and it said: My reply is no. I said, 'Deal!' and bought candy instead.).
I've consulted gypsies, palm readers, someone from the Edgar Cayce Association for Research and Enlightenment.

Gotten results from all of them.

Still an atheist.
Still a skeptic.
Still waiting for some reason to believe that any of it involved anything outside of my skull.
Oh! And i've tried autohypnosis. With results similar to the attempt to figure out what i was in a previous life...

God is dead. The Catholics ate him.

At least they got him drunk, first.
I was raised being told that when jesus drank wine it was grape juice, but when he turned the water into wine it was wine. Because that's a greater miracle, what with wine requiring fermentation, so no magician could do it instantly.

I was raised being told that when jesus drank wine it was grape juice, but when he turned the water into wine it was wine. Because that's a greater miracle, what with wine requiring fermentation, so no magician could do it instantly.

That's awesome. The logic is so... magical.

That's awesome. The logic is so... magical.
Grape juice will do that to you.

Nietzsche was convinced god was dead over one hundred years ago.

But he didn't see it as a joyful occasion. It is a time of disruption. A time of dispute.

And much of humanity has not thrown off the dead carcass of their god. They cling to it with all their might, pretending it is alive.

It is doubtful we could ever get every human to give up their emotional attachment to their dead gods.

The best we can hope for is to remove the influence of those who cling to long dead rotting gods from public life.

And we cannot let nihilism replace belief in gods. The world can have great value even without imaginary dead gods. But we have to give it that value.

Back
Top Bottom