• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good guy with a gun actually shows up

I was actually in that area this past spring, meeting old friends for dinner because I happened to be in town in my way elsewhere. Actually ate at one of the restaurants attached to the mall. Johnson County was largely white way back, at least north of Franklin, the county seat, what I know from driving through that part of the county ( roughly Bargersville, Franklin, New Whiteland/Whiteland and Greenwood, Acton, etc. ) is that it’s no longer all white. I know that Whiteland High school is now about 40% minority, mostly SE Asian, Hispanic and Blacks and the school has more than doubled in size/enrollment in the last 30 years. The entire countryside is locked with fulfillment centers and warehouses where there used to be nothing but corn and soybeans. There’s at least one Sikh temple in that part of Johnson County. Is changed a great deal in the last 40-50 years.

I don’t hear any racial angst from friends and family living in the area.

What would have happened if no one had a gun?

The cops would have been called for an altercation in the mall at which point they shoot a black guy for running? That's my best guess.
Years ago, you’d be right. Now? I am less certain or at least less certain that would be more likely there than anywhere else in Indiana.

Just heard from a friend who used to live in the area—years ago, she briefly lived in the apartments where the shooter is said to have lived.

If you knew most around you were armed would yiu pull a gun? Some you of course.

If you are a criminal would you enter a house if you knew people in the neighborhood would be in the streets armed if they heard an alarm or call for help?

Under the guise of computational rights gangs took hold and thrive in western Washington. A portion of the gun violence is between gangs. In a recent report there was inner rivalry in Crips in Tacoma leading to a gun fight that hit bystanders.

It is an old story. Police know all the gang members but can do nothing. From a show I watched on LAPD history in the 60s if a known organized crime member was known to be on the way to LA he might be met at the airport with a return ticket.

Are we too liberal to be able to maintain order?

As the BLM demonstrations devolved into leaderless violent destructive mobs our mayor kept saying people have a right to protest. At what point does colective security over ride individual rights?

If you knew most around you were armed would yiu pull a gun? Some you of course.

If you are a criminal would you enter a house if you knew people in the neighborhood would be in the streets armed if they heard an alarm or call for help?

Under the guise of computational rights gangs took hold and thrive in western Washington. A portion of the gun violence is between gangs. In a recent report there was inner rivalry in Crips in Tacoma leading to a gun fight that hit bystanders.

It is an old story. Police know all the gang members but can do nothing. From a show I watched on LAPD history in the 60s if a known organized crime member was known to be on the way to LA he might be met at the airport with a return ticket.

As the BLM demonstrations devolved into leaderless violent destructive mobs our mayor kept saying people have a right to protest. At what point does colective security over ride individual rights?
If I lived in a neighborhood where I knew most of my neighbors were armed, I’d move.

The perpetrator had to be crazy, suicidal, or both.
Most mass shootings are a form of suicide.
I agree.

This is what makes grappling with the problem so difficult. Suicidal people are nuts. There's little rhyme or reason, it's not a rational impulse.

But we, as a society, are up against a background morality of personal freedom. If people have the right to do as they wish until they break a law, well...

Tom

If I lived in a neighborhood where I knew most of my neighbors were armed, I’d move.
Skillfully avoiding the question.

Chaos: Coming soon to a neighborhood near you. In Wa it is not lnmited to Seattle and Tacoma. It is spreading to smaller communities and neighborhoods consider to be quiet.

Exactly where would you move to get away from neighbors with guns?

Do you know your neighbors?

Chaos: Coming soon to a neighborhood near you. In Wa it is not lnmited to Seattle and Tacoma. It is spreading to smaller communities and neighborhoods consider to be quiet.

I do know my neighbors. I know the ones with drinking problems and the ones with some serious mental heart issues and a family member who is hopefully in prison for a really long time. And the people with the cute little kids and my neighbors I trade garden plants and produce and tips with. I know the newer neighbors, one of whom is unfortunately experiencing the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s and I know their don and daughter in law ( for years before my new neighbors moved in) and grandchildren. My daughter used to babysit some of their grandchildren. My lawyer lives across the street. I don’t know many of the people in the rental at the end of he block. The best friend of my other neighbor across the street is a good friend and next door neighbor to my oldest kid in a city 120 miles away. I know some family secrets about another guy who lives across the street from me. There are at least 2 households I am aware of whose net worth is in the millions of dollars. Right behind me is a house divided into student rentals. I knew the family who owned the house before they divorced and the wife ended up with it and tried to start a student rental empire but was so unethical that she no longer holds any rental licenses in town and the house was sold to someone else several times since that divorce. Not sure if the kids ( now adults) still live in town or not. The guy who used to live around the block was a drunk and a mean drunk who beat his wife and his dog abd used to fire his gun at squirrels in neighbors trees and at the puppies who made too much noise. The police declined to address any of those issues. The wife divorced him and he lives… somewhere…

I can do the next block, too but really I think you get the idea.

So, yeah, I know my neighbors.

I do know my neighbors. I know the ones with drinking problems and the ones with some serious mental heart issues and a family member who is hopefully in prison for a really long time. And the people with the cute little kids and my neighbors I trade garden plants and produce and tips with. I know the newer neighbors, one of whom is unfortunately experiencing the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s and I know they don and daughter in law and grandchildren. My daughter used to babysit some of their grandchildren. My lawyer lives across the street. I don’t know many of the people in the rental at the end of he block. The best friend of my other neighbor across the street is a good friend and next door neighbor to my oldest kid in a city 120 miles away. I know some family secrets about another guy who lives across the street from me. There are at least 2 households I am aware of whose net worth is in the millions of dollars. Right behind me is a house divided into student rentals. I knew the family who owned the house before they divorced and the wife ended up with it and tried to start a student rental empire but was so unethical that she no longer holds any rental licenses in town and the house was sold to someone else several times since that divorce. Not sure if the kids ( now adults) still live in town or not. The guy who used to live around the block was a drunk and a mean drunk who beat his wife and his dog abd used to fire his gun at squirrels in neighbors trees and at the puppies who made too much noise. The police declined to address any of those issues. The wife divorced him and he lives… somewhere…

I don't see anything in here about gun ownership.

Maybe you aren't the sort of neighbor people tell about their guns? That would probably give you a skewed assessment of the gun ownership in your neighborhood.
Tom

I do know my neighbors. I know the ones with drinking problems and the ones with some serious mental heart issues and a family member who is hopefully in prison for a really long time. And the people with the cute little kids and my neighbors I trade garden plants and produce and tips with. I know the newer neighbors, one of whom is unfortunately experiencing the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s and I know they don and daughter in law and grandchildren. My daughter used to babysit some of their grandchildren. My lawyer lives across the street. I don’t know many of the people in the rental at the end of he block. The best friend of my other neighbor across the street is a good friend and next door neighbor to my oldest kid in a city 120 miles away. I know some family secrets about another guy who lives across the street from me. There are at least 2 households I am aware of whose net worth is in the millions of dollars. Right behind me is a house divided into student rentals. I knew the family who owned the house before they divorced and the wife ended up with it and tried to start a student rental empire but was so unethical that she no longer holds any rental licenses in town and the house was sold to someone else several times since that divorce. Not sure if the kids ( now adults) still live in town or not. The guy who used to live around the block was a drunk and a mean drunk who beat his wife and his dog abd used to fire his gun at squirrels in neighbors trees and at the puppies who made too much noise. The police declined to address any of those issues. The wife divorced him and he lives… somewhere…

I don't see anything in here about gun ownership.

Maybe you aren't the sort of neighbor people tell about their guns? That would probably give you a skewed assessment of the gun ownership in your neighborhood.
Tom
I don’t remember anyone asking about gun ownership in my neighborhood.

But since you asked: yes, I know which neighbors have firearms.

But since you asked: yes, I know which neighbors have firearms.
How?

I don't find that assertion particularly plausible. How could you know which neighbors have firearms?
Tom

If this had happened in Manhattan, Alvin Bragg would have charged the Good Samaritan with murder ...

Back
Top Bottom