• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Greedflation?

Thank you for being another example.
There are like eight billion of us. You probably won't have time to thank us all individually.
I know why LD has to disagree with everything I say.

Some years ago there was a thread where participants were challenged to make an argument in favor of something they disagree with. He went there to say "nyah nyah you actually believe the argument you just made" but instead accidentally participated in the thread in a straightforward manner. I congratulated him on it. He was so embarrassed that he actually participated he even tried to give me credit for his own post which he posted. Ever since then he will disagree with me about everything and anything out of habit.

You, I am not sure why you so reflexively do it, but consider this. When I posted that time goes in only one direction you tried to use that as evidence of flat-eartherism. I responded that your point was absurd and unsubstantiated by any evidence.

I am not a flat earther.
You say everything I post is wrong.
You therefore thing I'm wrong about that.
Says the guy who confused austerity with Austrian economic theory.

When I posted that time goes in only one direction you tried to use that as evidence of flat-eartherism.
I don't recall that conversation, which was clearly of far greater importance to you than I; But it remains true that our best current theory of spacetime, General Relativity, says that the claim that time goes in only one direction, or indeed that there is such a thing as absolute time, which can be agreed upon by all observers, is wrong.

What relationship that wrongness has to flat-eartherism, other than an analogy between various counter-scientific beliefs, I couldn't say.

You're the one who said it, and even you don't know why you said it. Amazing.

That makes much of your posting much clearer.

You're the one who said it, and even you don't know why you said it. Amazing.
Hardly "Amazing".

I doubt that Ripley's would be interested in exhibiting "The Amazing Forgetful Old Man".

"Marvel as he fails to recall a long ago conversation that was of little importance even at the time!"

"Prepare to be astonished as he forgets where he left his car keys - Again!!!".

"The idea of blaming "greed" for inflation is reversing cause and effect" ranks among the dumbest things ever posted here.
Wrong, as usual coming from you.
Rather than being a dumb thing, it is actually what's been going on.
Ya sure, stuffing rich people's pockets with cash causes them to be greedy.
If prices rise because of combination of supply constraints and excess fiscal stimulus, then companies making more money are hardly "greedy".
you had more money chasing fewer goods and services - a golden opportunity for the greedy.
It's golden opportunity for everyone. Prices either rise in response to supply and demand or you get shortages due to artificial price caps.

On the progressive side though, this whole episode did uncover the hitherto underutilized cash cows of "surge pricing" and its ilk.
Innovation is what drives prosperity!!
I agree that surge pricing has been underutilized. For example when a hurricane etc. knocks out gasoline production, the best remedy is to let prices rise. That reduces demand. Keeping prices constant (e.g. by threatening "price gouging" prosecutions or lawsuits) leads people to hoard, exacerbating shortages even more.
1392232822916751361-png__700.jpg

I find this news welcome, but defenders of price gouging will feel betrayed, stabbed in the back. They will say that these actions encourage people to forget the important truth that nothing is ever free, and they will say that people will not value things very much if they don't have to pay a very high price for them.

Will these defenders decide that their heroes were pressured into their actions by left-wing traitors and enemies of all that is good?

These defenders may also ask who will pay for these giveaways. Poor innocent stockholders who have been cheated out of income?

McDonald's plans $5 US meal deal next month to counter customer frustration over high prices | AP News - 1:37 PM PDT, May 16, 2024
McDonald’s plans to introduce a $5 meal deal in the U.S. next month to counter slowing sales and customers’ frustration with high prices.

The deal would let customers get a four-piece McNugget, small fries, a small drink and either a McDouble burger or a McChicken sandwich for $5 in most areas, according to a person familiar with the deal who wasn’t authorized to discuss its details.

The month-long deal is scheduled to begin June 25 and will be advertised nationally. Some stores with higher costs, like those in California or Hawaii, may charge more, the person said.

Walgreens Joins Target, Amazon, Walmart Announcing Steep Price Cuts: Here's What’s Being Discounted
Walgreens is cutting prices on more than 1,300 items as part of its “Summer of Savings,” the drug store chain announced Wednesday, joining a slew of big-box retailers slashing prices to boost sales amid persistent inflation.
noting Walgreens Introduces Summer of Savings | Business Wire - "Walgreens continues to lower prices on over 1,300 products, and offers promotions to help consumers save"
and Target is Cutting Prices On 5,000 Everyday Items To Lure Budget-Stretched Shoppers Amid High Inflation
and Amazon is slashing prices on 4,000 grocery items, joining Target and Walmart | CNN Business and Amazon Fresh joins Walmart, Target in correcting pricing, slashes costs on 4,000 items | Fortune
Walmart has cut prices on nearly 7,000 products across food categories, Walmart U.S. CEO John Furner said in a May 16 earnings call, though Furner did not specify what products have had price reductions—Forbes has contacted Walmart for more information.
and aldi-doubles-down-on-summer-savings-to-put-100-million-back-into-customers-wallets-press-release.pdf

Back
Top Bottom