• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Greedflation?

"The idea of blaming "greed" for inflation is reversing cause and effect" ranks among the dumbest things ever posted here.

Ya sure, stuffing rich people's pockets with cash causes them to be greedy.

you had more money chasing fewer goods and services - a golden opportunity for the greedy.

On the progressive side though, this whole episode did uncover the hitherto underutilized cash cows of "surge pricing" and its ilk.
Innovation is what drives prosperity!!

Does not corporations us their profits to expand their current business and maybe even dabble in ventures? It's likely why the Fed is having a hard time tanking the Job market. Maybe the FED should let trickle down economics take a shot at fixing inflation since it failed to fix anything else.

Does not corporations us their profits to expand their current business and maybe even dabble in ventures? It's likely why the Fed is having a hard time tanking the Job market. Maybe the FED should let trickle down economics take a shot at fixing inflation since it failed to fix anything else.
They've been using their profits to buy back their own stocks, inflating the stock markets and making more money for themselves.

Jason Harvestdancer said:
I already pointed out "greed" and "greeflation" are not synonyms and you are using them as such, so of course you haven't seen it. You can't continue to say I haven't posted it if you acknowledge I have.
. You are mistaken - I did not use “greed” and “greedflation” as synonyms” as I previously explained.

Um, yes you did. You exactly did. Admit your mistake and move on.
You are mistaken. I did in post #16. History leads me to conclude that
1) you are incapable or unwilling to grasp any nuance in reasoning, and
2) you will refuse to admit your mistake.

But, I am not a therapist and feel no need to help you through your therapeutic needs.
You can't allow the libertarian to be right about anything, so will argue anything in order to prevent it. What an odd psychological fixation.

Jason Harvestdancer said:
I already pointed out "greed" and "greeflation" are not synonyms and you are using them as such, so of course you haven't seen it. You can't continue to say I haven't posted it if you acknowledge I have.
. You are mistaken - I did not use “greed” and “greedflation” as synonyms” as I previously explained.

Um, yes you did. You exactly did. Admit your mistake and move on.
You are mistaken. I did in post #16. History leads me to conclude that
1) you are incapable or unwilling to grasp any nuance in reasoning, and
2) you will refuse to admit your mistake.

But, I am not a therapist and feel no need to help you through your therapeutic needs.
You can't allow the libertarian to be right about anything, so will argue anything in order to prevent it. What an odd psychological fixation.
Your responses remind me of a song by Steely Dan: Babylon Sister.

You will beat a patch of ground where years ago there used to be a dead horse rather than admit a libertarian was right about something.

Especially one who caught you out making an argument in support of someone you oppose, as a theoretical intellectual exercise.

You will beat a patch of ground where years ago there used to be a dead horse rather than admit a libertarian was right about something.

Especially one who caught you out making an argument in support of someone you oppose, as a theoretical intellectual exercise.
Please let massive case of your butthurt go.

I will do what I can to assist in helping you that task. You are mistaken on 2 counts. First, this has nothing to do with your ideology. Second, you are misinterpreting my observation ( as I explained earlier in the thread).

Please let go of your massive case of butthurt. In a good faith effort to help you within the bounds of the reality, I recognize you have been right about something because no one is wrong 100% of the time. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
You can't allow the libertarian to be right about anything
Oh, it's allowed. We're all just wondering when, if ever, it's going to actually happen.
Thank you for being another example.

I will do what I can to assist in helping you that task. You are mistaken on 2 counts. First, this has nothing to do with your ideology. Second, you are misinterpreting my observation ( as I explained earlier in the thread).

Please let go of your massive case of butthurt. In a good faith effort to help you within the bounds of the reality, I recognize you have been right about something because no one is wrong 100% of the time. I hope that helps.

Talking about butthurt, you're still pissed that I refused to accept responsibility for a post you made that you are embarrassed that you made. Take the defeat, you made a mistake this time.

You can't allow the libertarian to be right about anything,
Gawd I’d LOVE to see a libertarian be right about something. But I can’t make it so.

laughing dog said:

Talking about butthurt, you're still pissed that I refused to accept responsibility for a post you made that you are embarrassed that you made. Take the defeat, you made a mistake this time.
I don’t know what you are talking about all. There is no reason to be pissed over your fantasies.

I did what I could to help- the rest is up to you. Take the advice Sean Connery gives to Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and just let it go. Not only will you feel better, but it will open up the possibility of fruitful rational discussion about the actual world around us.

Best of luck to you because you’ve a long long way to go

Last edited:
No I didn't.
If you say so.
That is a long-winded way of agreeing with my observation.
It's a concise way of saying that its moniker is a politically driven misnomer.
But you say we agree. Do you agree that those who blame "corporate profits" for the inflation are mixing up cause and effect? Because if you do, there may be hope for you yet.
No. Prices help determine profits. But prices are not necessarily the outcome of competitive behaviour. To the extent prices are the outcome of the exercise of market power, the resulting profits are the cause of the part of the profits. Because firms choose to exercise any market power to increase profits.

The extent of the effect of exercise of market power on prices is an empirical question.

There are like eight billion of us. You probably won't have time to thank us all individually.
I know why LD has to disagree with everything I say.

Some years ago there was a thread where participants were challenged to make an argument in favor of something they disagree with. He went there to say "nyah nyah you actually believe the argument you just made" but instead accidentally participated in the thread in a straightforward manner. I congratulated him on it. He was so embarrassed that he actually participated he even tried to give me credit for his own post which he posted. Ever since then he will disagree with me about everything and anything out of habit.

You, I am not sure why you so reflexively do it, but consider this. When I posted that time goes in only one direction you tried to use that as evidence of flat-eartherism. I responded that your point was absurd and unsubstantiated by any evidence.

I am not a flat earther.
You say everything I post is wrong.
You therefore thing I'm wrong about that.

I don’t know what you are talking about all. There is no reason to be pissed over your fantasies.
You have forgotten again?

When I posted that time goes in only one direction you tried to use that as evidence of flat-eartherism.
I don't recall that conversation, which was clearly of far greater importance to you than I; But it remains true that our best current theory of spacetime, General Relativity, says that the claim that time goes in only one direction, or indeed that there is such a thing as absolute time, which can be agreed upon by all observers, is wrong.

What relationship that wrongness has to flat-eartherism, other than an analogy between various counter-scientific beliefs, I couldn't say.

I strongly recommend that you let shit like that go. I'm not interested in personalities, just fact-based arguments and sound reasoning.

Perhaps you could try acetaminophen, if you're still feeling butt hurt over a long ago conversation in which I refused to accept your nonsense as fact.

I don't reflexively disagree with everything that you post; I do reflexively disagree with everything anyone posts that is factually wrong.

If you're observing a massive overlap between things you post and things I point out are factually wrong, then perhaps you could make an effort not to post so many counterfactual things.

bilby

In order to disagree with everything someone posts, you have to read every post of that person. I strongly suspect you do not read the posts of every poster - I know I don’t. So the claim that you or I disagree with everything that someone writes is an exaggeration (i.e. a falsehood).

Back
Top Bottom