• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Greg Abbott Declares War On Gender Nonconformity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metaphor said:
So, you think an adult male sleeping in the same cabin as year 5 girls is as appropriate as a male drill sergeant sleeping in the same cabin as adult males?
This is completely a straw man. You are leaving out pertinant details to make your case.
How is it a straw man? You wrote:
I would say it's just as appropriate as a gay drill sergeant sleeping in the same barracks as the young recruits.
What pertinent details did I 'leave out' from what you wrote?

Metaphor said:
So, you think an adult male sleeping in the same cabin as year 5 girls is as appropriate as a male drill sergeant sleeping in the same cabin as adult males?
This is completely a straw man. You are leaving out pertinant details to make your case.
I would say it's just as appropriate as a gay drill sergeant sleeping in the same barracks as the young recruits.
How aboout that the drill sergeant is gay, as in attracted sexually to other men.

Metaphor said:
How aboout that the drill sergeant is gay, as in attracted sexually to other men.
Right...so...what? Are you saying it is inappropriate for gay men to be in single sex male spaces with other adult males, and it is just as inappropriate for adult males to be in single-sex spaces with juvenile females?

Or are you saying they are both appropriate?

Metaphor said:
Right...so...what? Are you saying it is inappropriate for gay men to be in single sex male spaces with other adult males, and it is just as inappropriate for adult males to be in single-sex spaces with juvenile females?

I'm saying changing the parameters of another's argument for the purpose of making it easier to attack is a strawman.

Metaphor said:

I'm saying changing the parameters of another's argument for the purpose of making it easier to attack is a strawman.
I didn't change the parameters.

Why can't you answer my question?

Metaphor said:

I didn't change the parameters.

Why can't you answer my question?
Because it is a loaded question. You are saying that "inappropriateness", a vague word that has been used to imply that some "suspect population" would rape children, is an argument. It is not.

Define "inappropriate" in a way that actually references a real principle of ethics rather than your ill-defined bullshit spin, or I'm afraid your question is going to go unanswered.

Because it is a loaded question.
It isn't any kind of loaded question. It was ZiprHead's own analogy. He said adult males sleeping the same cabin as year 5 girls is as appropriate as a gay drill sergeant sleeping in the same quarters as his male soldiers. But he hasn't answered the central question: does he think it is appropriate or inappropriate?
You are saying that "inappropriateness", a vague word that has been used to imply that some "suspect population" would rape children, is an argument. It is not.
I asked ZiprHead a question, not you. Either he will answer me or he won't. (I suspect that he won't).

Your obsession with invoking the spectre of rape is disturbing.
Define "inappropriate" in a way that actually references a real principle of ethics rather than your ill-defined bullshit spin, or I'm afraid your question is going to go unanswered.
I have not asked you to answer it, but ZiprHead. I assume you are not ZiprHead's keeper. I am uninterested in your answer to the question.

It is up to ZiprHead to respond to my question, including his understanding of what the word appropriate means.

But he hasn't answered the central question: does he think it is appropriate or inappropriate?
Because it is a loaded question: you have not defined what causes things to be "appropriate".

That you wish to HIDE the load in that word until after you get an answer does not change that the load is there.

Anything beyond that is appeal to emotion.

Define "inappropriate".

I asked ZiprHead a question, not you
So fucking what? You get both of us; it's a publicly available forum.

You're the one who keeps making aspersions against trans people claiming "probably rapists".

At least Emily admitted that's her concern openly.

I have not asked you to answer it, but ZiprHead. I assume you are not ZiprHead's keeper. I am uninterested in your answer to the question.
I explained exactly why it is a bad question: you have failed to define what makes things "appropriate" or "inappropriate"

As I said, it was previously argued that it was "inappropriate" for gay people to raise children.

You are leaning on a vague word that implies trans people are somehow likely to rape children.

Metaphor elsewhere said:
Your behaviour has been reported. Your selective quoting in post 166 deliberately decontextualises what I wrote and is deceptive.
Poor Metaphor. He doesn't like it when it's done to him but he's more than willing to do it to others. :rub:

It's like saying "it's not illegal to be gay, it's just illegal to have gay sex!"
It is illegal to have gay sex. Very illegal.

If one of the parties is prepubescent.

I don't entirely share Metaphor's outrage over the camp situation. But some army dudes bunking together is completely irrelevant because it doesn't involve kids.
Tom

It's like saying "it's not illegal to be gay, it's just illegal to have gay sex!"
It is illegal to have gay sex. Very illegal.

If one of the parties is prepubescent.

I don't entirely share Metaphor's outrage over the camp situation. But some army dudes bunking together is completely irrelevant because it doesn't involve kids.
Tom
So, no gay camp councilors then?

The same logic was used against gay camp councilors.

Now, imagining some reality where I get roped into that fresh hell for a summer, if I had an angry man bust in on my cabin for being a camp councilor of a cabin full of boys, I don't expect that he would have a great time of it.

But he hasn't answered the central question: does he think it is appropriate or inappropriate?
Because it is a loaded question: you have not defined what causes things to be "appropriate".
I haven't defined any other word in that sentence either.

That you wish to HIDE the load in that word until after you get an answer does not change that the load is there.
You haven't defined a single word in the above sentence. What are you HIDING?

Anything beyond that is appeal to emotion.

Define "inappropriate".
inappropriate
/ɪnəˈprəʊprɪət/
adjective

not suitable or proper in the circumstances.

I asked ZiprHead a question, not you
So fucking what? You get both of us; it's a publicly available forum.
Yes, and the question was addressed to ZiprHead.

You can provide your answer, if you want. I'm not stopping you. I just don't care.

You're the one who keeps making aspersions against trans people claiming "probably rapists".
No, I didn't.

At least Emily admitted that's her concern openly.

I explained exactly why it is a bad question: you have failed to define what makes things "appropriate" or "inappropriate"
I defined it above, straight out of the first definition I got by searching.

Poor Metaphor. He doesn't like it when it's done to him but he's more than willing to do it to others. :rub:
I do not break up a quote in the middle of a sentence unless I am commenting on the thought and also quoting all of the rest of the sentence afterwards in another quote.

Jarhyn repeatedly (not just to me) will break up sentences, not quote the end of a sentence (I was taught in primary school a sentence was a 'complete thought), and recently not indicate he has excised words from the quote. The behaviour is appalling.

I do not break up a quote in the middle of a sentence unless I am commenting on the thought and also quoting all of the rest of the sentence afterwards in another quote.

Jarhyn repeatedly (not just to me) will break up sentences, not quote the end of a sentence (I was taught in primary school a sentence was a 'complete thought), and recently not indicate he has excised words from the quote. The behaviour is appalling.
No, you just change others arguments to fit your pre-defined answer that suits your political bend, so, essentilly the same thing.

No, you just change others arguments to fit your pre-defined answer that suits your political bend, so, essentilly the same thing.
I did not change your argument. If you won't answer my question because the answer will reveal your position is problematic, I understand.

Is it appropriate for adult males to sleep in the same cabin as year 5 girls, as per the incident described?

Is it appropriate for adult males trans women to sleep in the same cabin as year 5 girls, as per the incident described?
FTFY
No, you didn't. All trans women are adult males: that's what makes them trans. But, you are wrong to call the people in the incident trans women. The male counselors who slept in the cabin used 'they/them' pronouns and are described in the article as 'non-binary'. So they are not trans women.

Do you think it is appropriate for adult males to sleep in the same cabin as year 5 girls? Your answer can be as nuanced as you want. For example, you may wish to say 'depends on their gender identity'.

Is it appropriate for adult males trans women to sleep in the same cabin as year 5 girls, as per the incident described?
FTFY
No, you didn't. All trans women are adult males: that's what makes them trans. But, you are wrong to call the people in the incident trans women. The male counselors who slept in the cabin used 'they/them' pronouns and are described in the article as 'non-binary'. So they are not trans women.

Do you think it is appropriate for adult males to sleep in the same cabin as year 5 girls? Your answer can be as nuanced as you want. For example, you may wish to say 'depends on their gender identity'.
So they could be gay men.

FTFY

So they could be gay men.
Well, yes, they could be gay men. Let's say they are, if that will help you partly answer the question.

Is it appropriate for gay men to sleep in the same cabin as year 5 girls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom