• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guns and the art of victim blaming

Worth discussion. I don't immediately disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Right... like buckets and babies drowning... every bucket has a warning not to let babies near a bucket full of water.. how about a sticker on a gun that indicates bullets come out the front end... that should do the trick, I guess.

Or just make liability insurance a required component of gun ownership.

Just like cars? If I never take my care off my property I do not need registration or insurance.

Required insurance for carrying in public, but not for storage on personal property sounds reasonable. This sort of exists, optionally, but for legal fees.

I believe a bond would be a better mechanism for holding a gun in private. One is a continued expense, and our society should NOT collect such rents on mere ownership of a thing. Moreover, I DO think that storage in private should meet certain minimum requirements for theft prevention and access deferral, and that theft from a less-than-secure gun storage unit should automatically trigger a legal liability upon the owner

no, but staple guns are GUNS. So are you saying that guns are not dangerous, it's just those darn bullets? That's a new take on the topic.

Equivocation.

"gun" is commonly used to describe any tool that projects an object with force. People who use / carry guns for a living commonly refer to them as tools. I have a nail gun that works exactly like a firearm... the nails have gunpowder in them and everything. The staple gun I used (hazardously) is different than a firearm only in that it uses a spring instead of smokeless powder. It's even semiautomatic.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just make liability insurance a required component of gun ownership.

Just like cars? If I never take my care off my property I do not need registration or insurance.

Required insurance for carrying in public, but not for storage on personal property sounds reasonable. This sort of exists, optionally, but for legal fees.

I believe a bond would be a better mechanism for holding a gun in private. One is a continued expense, and our society should NOT collect such rents on mere ownership of a thing. Moreover, I DO think that storage in private should meet certain minimum requirements for theft prevention and access deferral, and that theft from a less-than-secure gun storage unit should automatically trigger a legal liability upon the owner

See the NY State SAFE law. It's basically that.
I would like to point out that, to me, owning versus carrying are two very distinct and separate things. I agree there should be no "tax or fee" on exercising a constitutional right (regardless of how you feel about that right).

- - - Updated - - -

...but should a bullet stray off your property, then you're liable?

... should your vehicle roll down your driveway.....

...and kill someone? You're liable. (At least around here) Either manslaughter or negligent homicide.

no, but staple guns are GUNS. So are you saying that guns are not dangerous, it's just those darn bullets? That's a new take on the topic.

Equivocation.

"gun" is commonly used to describe any tool that projects an object with force. People who use / carry guns for a living commonly refer to them as tools. I have a nail gun that works exactly like a firearm... the nails have gunpowder in them and everything. The staple gun I used (hazardously) is different than a firearm only in that it uses a spring instead of smokeless powder. It's even semiautomatic.

Thus acknowledging in your response that you have equivocated firearms and non-firearms. Do you have a legitimate argument to add to the thread?

Thus acknowledging in your response that you have equivocated firearms and non-firearms. Do you have a legitimate argument to add to the thread?

One is a tool with applications that are neither "masturbation by proxy", "training in it's use", nor "killing shit". The other is not; a gun has no utility application outside of killing things, and is instantaneous, easily operated (accidentally!), and unilateral in the service of that goal. There are no arguments where a staple gun fulfills the total of those qualities necessary to talk about staple guns in the context of firearms.

Since you brought seat belts into this, I advocate letting people choose. I oppose mandatory seatbelt laws but agree seatbelts are useful. That confuses people: "He said it is good but said not mandatory. If it is good it should be mandatory. He said not mandatory. That means he thinks it is not good. But he said it is good."

I used to agree with your position on this. I also used to be a little "l" libertarian.

But then some very very smart people on a message board much like this one presented some very excellent arguments demonstrating that while my position that an idiot should be free to go head first through a windshield because he should have the freedom to not wear his seat belt... it is a fact that the idiot's choice has very expensive consequences on the rest of society.

Even if the idiot is fully insured, said insurance will not even remotely cover the true costs of his "free choice" not to wear his seatbelt. The rest of us will be picking up the costs of scraping him and his vehicle off the road, for all of the first responders and medical people - which will be exponentially more costly than if he were less severely injured by wearing his seatbelt, for all of the social support for him and his family if he is permanently injured by his "free choice"... on and on the examples go.

The same applies to guns. Some idiot demands his "freedom" to own guns. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to pick up the tab for his "freedom". Last week I saw an excellent article - Shot and Forgotten - that speaks to this point.

We tend to think only about the people who are murdered by the gun violence; and the financial cost to society for them is bad enough. But to be very cold-blooded here for a minute, it are the survivors of gun violence that are more of a financial burden. Meanwhile, the gun fetishist likes to insist those of us who want common sense gun control are speaking only from emotion (while he is simultaneously in a manic meltdown over an imaginary government-led gun grab :rolleyes:)

I'm not a libertarian anymore. I still believe that every human being should be afforded the maximum freedom possible to live their lives as they wish. But I also believe that your freedom ends at the tip of my nose. When your freedom is quantitatively harming other people in our society, your freedom needs to be curtailed while you freely chose to remain a part of said society.

In the United States of America, guns and the people who shoot them are quantitatively harming other people in our society, so the "freedom" to own every kind of gun and massive amounts of ammunition without any restraints or responsibilities needs to end.

There hasn't been much talk of Trump's Bump Stock Ban proposal. I can guess why.

Those who favor the proposal don't want to say anything good about Trump.
Those who favor Trump don't want to say anything bad about his proposals.

I think both are bad, and both sides to be hilarious in their reaction to this.

Trump's proposal to ban bump stocks is the first of a huge number steps that need to be taken toward rational gun laws.

Happy?

And while you're at it are you going to ban foam and rubber bands? Because I've seen YouTube videos of both of these being used as DIY bump stocks. All you actually need is either something to make the gun rebound enough distance (the spring in the bump stock--but also a suitable piece of foam on the shooter's shoulder, or fastened to the stock), or to make the trigger rebound fast enough (a rubber band pulling it forward.)

There hasn't been much talk of Trump's Bump Stock Ban proposal. I can guess why.

Those who favor the proposal don't want to say anything good about Trump.
Those who favor Trump don't want to say anything bad about his proposals.

I think both are bad, and both sides to be hilarious in their reaction to this.

Trump's proposal to ban bump stocks is the first of a huge number steps that need to be taken toward rational gun laws.

Happy?

And while you're at it are you going to ban foam and rubber bands? Because I've seen YouTube videos of both of these being used as DIY bump stocks. All you actually need is either something to make the gun rebound enough distance (the spring in the bump stock--but also a suitable piece of foam on the shooter's shoulder, or fastened to the stock), or to make the trigger rebound fast enough (a rubber band pulling it forward.)

You're right. It is the gun that is the problem. I want to severely regulate ownership of them.

Equivocation.

You're too narrow here--I've seen "gun" used to describe many tools which are vaguely gun-shaped and which you point it at a target and pull a trigger to make it function. There need not be anything propelled with force.

For example, a pricing gun:
31f3awoMuPL.jpg

This is hit #1 an image search for "pricing gun" and the description describes it as a "pricing gun". They are what stores normally use to print those little tags with a price on them.

Or a tagging gun:
41LtCt75e7L._SX425_.jpg

Less common but still widespread in retail. This is the gadget that puts those I-shaped bits of plastic that hold price tags etc on fabric.

Or how about temperature guns:
51x4FOavNwL._SX342_.jpg

The only thing that comes out of this one is a guide laser and you don't actually even need that, it's purely for the user.

Back
Top Bottom