• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guy gets beaten up by police for calling his sister

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...lity-after-receiving-concussion-five-stitches

No, he wasn't calling the militia. He said he was calling his sister. He showed his phone said he was calling "Nessa." The police said they didn't know who that was and escalated the situation to beating his face. He had 5 stitches, a concussion, and bruised leg from punches and the takedown.

It turns out that the police thought he was someone else who had committed a crime. After they realized their error, they charged him with not having proper lighting on his bicycle.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...lity-after-receiving-concussion-five-stitches

No, he wasn't calling the militia. He said he was calling his sister. He showed his phone said he was calling "Nessa." The police said they didn't know who that was and escalated the situation to beating his face. He had 5 stitches, a concussion, and bruised leg from punches and the takedown.

It turns out that the police thought he was someone else who had committed a crime. After they realized their error, they charged him with not having proper lighting on his bicycle.

He deserved it because he was a criminal and threat to our society.

It's not the police' job to punish those who aren't properly submissive and deferential.

He was told to put the phone away, when he wouldn't they made him put it away. Things went bad because he provoked the situation.

He was told to put the phone away, when he wouldn't they made him put it away. Things went bad because he provoked the situation.

Exactly. One must always grovel before authority. Brave American soliders did not die for freedom in order to let people question the most minor and spurious commands that the government forces give them.

There was no need to escalate to shock & awe. They could have discussed the problem in a polite and civil manner.
It's unlikely this would have happened in a civilized country.

Well, I can see why he made that 'mistake.' He's not black so he probably thought that constitutional rights and protections applied to him. Of course with an Hispanic name, it's not like he's actually white.

Wow,I don't think I'll be calling my sister anytime soon. Can you imagine trying to talk to your sister while you're eating Skittles?! Talk about asking for trouble!

Well, I never quite thought talking on a phone could be considered a provocation to a beat down.

That is not an interpretation any normal person would make. The fact the police charged him with not having a light on his bicycle after they realized they had assaulted the wrong person for no good reason is pretty much a tacit acknowledgement that they abuse their authority.

The cops are right. They guy could have been calling in an airstrike.

He was told multiple times to put the phone away, then he starts getting all "I have a right to phone my sister" BS. Another mouthy gobshite that's still wondering what hit him :biggrina:

He was told multiple times to put the phone away, then he starts getting all "I have a right to phone my sister" BS. Another mouthy gobshite that's still wondering what hit him :biggrina:

Do the police have the right to stop him from making phone calls?

I tried googling for the answer on this, but couldn't find anything definitive. You're supposed to obey the officers' orders during a stop, but if they give an order outside of their authority to give, then that wouldn't apply.

Did his having the phone prevent him from answering a single one of their questions? Having an additional witness to the interaction could be a positive thing. If there's not a specific rule preventing him from calling his sister, then he'd be correct that he had the right to do so.

Of course with an Hispanic name, it's not like he's actually white.
If only his great-grandfather had been German and he had a name like, I don't know, Zimmermann, he could have cashed his white privilege. You know, white privilege just like that kid Deven or those other kids or that old rancher.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow,I don't think I'll be calling my sister anytime soon. Can you imagine trying to talk to your sister while you're eating Skittles?! Talk about asking for trouble!
Or robbing some Swisher Sweets.

Back
Top Bottom