• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guy gets beaten up by police for calling his sister

He was told to put the phone away, when he wouldn't they made him put it away. Things went bad because he provoked the situation.

He was told multiple times to put the phone away, then he starts getting all "I have a right to phone my sister" BS. Another mouthy gobshite that's still wondering what hit him :biggrina:
Another boot licking gun sucking utterly predictable response.
Achtung baby.

Even back during my archconservative days I would never condone the behavior of the police in these situations. I don't understand the mindset that thinks a beatdown resulting in multiple stitches and a concussion is ever an appropriate response to someone staying on his phone after asked to stop by the police.

It certainly isn't the mindset of someone that truly believes in limited government or libertarian principles.

Yeah, I guess it is too much to expect professionalism from a police officer.

But I don't act like a mouthy gobshite to the police.

Even if you did, that would not be a justification for getting the shit kicked out of you by a cop. Mouthing off to a cop does him no harm whatsoever. This asshole cop punched the guy in the head. Totally unjustified and deserving of disciplinary action on the part of Mesa PD and if that doesn't happen, a lawsuit.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...lity-after-receiving-concussion-five-stitches

No, he wasn't calling the militia. He said he was calling his sister. He showed his phone said he was calling "Nessa." The police said they didn't know who that was and escalated the situation to beating his face. He had 5 stitches, a concussion, and bruised leg from punches and the takedown.

It turns out that the police thought he was someone else who had committed a crime. After they realized their error, they charged him with not having proper lighting on his bicycle.

He was told to put the phone away, when he wouldn't they made him put it away. Things went bad because he provoked the situation.

You sure do worship the cock of authority.

But I don't act like a mouthy gobshite to the police.

Even if you did, that would not be a justification for getting the shit kicked out of you by a cop.

I'm smart enough to not put it to the test.

Mouthing off to a cop does him no harm whatsoever. This asshole cop punched the guy in the head. Totally unjustified and deserving of disciplinary action on the part of Mesa PD and if that doesn't happen, a lawsuit.

There are unprofessional people in all walks of life. Hopefully he has learned his lesson, don't be a dick.

If only you were smart enough to acknowledge the correctness of Ford's point.

It's not the police' job to punish those who aren't properly submissive and deferential.

In Mesa Arizona, perhaps it is. Our constitution and civil rights are pretty much in the toilet the further east you go in the sun belt. The cops seem to think they have the right to be all knowing. The guy trying to contact his sister could have been a TERRORIST trying to call in an Al Qaeda attack on the poor little officer. So of course he had to smack the guy around some to jar loose the evil cell phone. These guys are pumping altogether too much Testosterone and it is showing up as concussions, abrasions and lawsuits. That is what you get when politicians use terror to intimidate the people. The only terror I saw there was a cop smacking a guy with a phone.

Only child :D But I would never start making calls on my cell phone when interacting with the police, particularly if they gave me instructions not to.
I agree with your general point that police will probably become dangerous thugs if you do anything to anger them. And a person that isn't careful around them is a fool just like someone petting rabid animals. However should our society tolerate rabid animals or dangerous thugs?

Tswizzle said:
Only child :D But I would never start making calls on my cell phone when interacting with the police, particularly if they gave me instructions not to.

Explains a lot. Of course so does your age.

I don't think being an only child explains why I'm not a mouthy gobshite to police. I don't start a cell phone call when I'm at the checkout at the grocery store either. Is that also because I'm only child ?

I did once mouth off to the cops in my younger days. Just the once.

He was told multiple times to put the phone away, then he starts getting all "I have a right to phone my sister" BS. Another mouthy gobshite that's still wondering what hit him :biggrina:

Do the police have the right to stop him from making phone calls?

I tried googling for the answer on this, but couldn't find anything definitive. You're supposed to obey the officers' orders during a stop, but if they give an order outside of their authority to give, then that wouldn't apply.

Did his having the phone prevent him from answering a single one of their questions? Having an additional witness to the interaction could be a positive thing. If there's not a specific rule preventing him from calling his sister, then he'd be correct that he had the right to do so.

Phones can also be used to summon help. People do sometimes attack the cops, it doesn't surprise me that they get worried about someone who won't stop communicating with someone else.

I tried googling for the answer on this, but couldn't find anything definitive. You're supposed to obey the officers' orders during a stop, but if they give an order outside of their authority to give, then that wouldn't apply.

Did his having the phone prevent him from answering a single one of their questions? Having an additional witness to the interaction could be a positive thing. If there's not a specific rule preventing him from calling his sister, then he'd be correct that he had the right to do so.

Phones can also be used to summon help. People do sometimes attack the cops, it doesn't surprise me that they get worried about someone who won't stop communicating with someone else.

Yeah! Everyone knows our faces would be safer under the boots of our police state oppressors guardian angels in blue if we would just shut up about it already. It's not even like US citizens have a constitutionally guaranteed right to communicate or anything.

And by the way, only a fool would want help when dealing with an armed thug who cares more about dominating every situation than he does about smashing in the faces of others. You are never safer than when you sacrifice all autonomy and freedom to the first brute you see with a badge.

:rolleyes:

Are you under the impression that "worried" = "assault"?

People do sometimes attack the cops

And sometimes cops attack people. That's what happened here. The guy was not threatening the cops or being violent. He was making a phone call, and even showed the cops his phone so they could see that he wasn't calling in an Al Qaeda airstrike or his murderous gang.

What's more, he was not being detained. He was not being arrested. He was being questioned.

The cop's response to him taking out his phone?

"Put it down before I knock it out of your freaking hand."

The cop escalated the situation. It is right there on the video. The victim was being non-compliant, but not combative. It was the cop who initiated the violence.

Back
Top Bottom