• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Half of English No Longer Christian

Some imbecile God-hater
An atheist who hates one or more gods would be something of an imbecile.
But maybe the atheist you're thinking of isn't really an atheist.

I knew a few believers who blamed their god for something that happened in their life and pretended to be atheists. "I don't believe in God and he knows it!" they cry, punishing their invisible skybuddy by withholding worship.

Atheists, on the other hand, just don't find any reasons to think the skybeasts are real. Don't hate Jehovah any more than i hate Lex Luthor or Darth Vader or their ilk (except for Dracula. I despise him, but that's a guilty pleasure, like watching Charlie's Angels or Kung Fu Hustle).

Oh look. I've got no more rep points left. All gone.

I guess I've got nothing to lose now.

*gloves off*

Nah, I'm pretty sure there's heaps of atheists who say they wouldn't want to go to heaven.

Hitchens used to rant against God (the celestial dictator) and claim he wouldn't worship God under any circumstances - whether atheism was true or false.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is that there could be some atheist so stupid and belligerent that even after they died they would still refuse to believe their own eyes.

I think you mean satanists that is a different demographic

I guess I've got nothing to lose now.

*gloves off*
What, THIS was you with the gloves on?

People who are losing their superstitious fear of an invisible judge are becoming self-centered, while anyone who disagrees with you is a moronic imbecile. Yeah, that's rational and not at all self-centered judgment.

Nah, I'm pretty sure there's heaps of atheists who say they wouldn't want to go to heaven.
It does sound like a boring place, but that's not the same as saying I actively hate a being i don't believe in.
My point is that there could be some atheist so stupid and belligerent that even after they died they would still refuse to believe their own eyes.
I think that's still a prejudice against atheists, though.

Most atheists i know will say that they are atheists because of the lack of evidence for a supreme being. If 'our own eyes' are providing the evidence we've been asking believers for all these years, then we'll likely have to accept that the guy is real.

Choosing to worship the thing, that's a separate issue, though. And that has nothing to do with atheism.

I've always found it to be an interesting philosophical question about whether or not the brain is ultimately all we have or if there is a soul living inside our body that is capable of "seeing with its own eyes" after death as Lion IRC suggests in this thread.

We've all seen movies like Ghost where a dead person can see what's going on in the world and can figure out ways to interact with it. The thing is that's fiction. There is no evidence - anywhere - that a non-physical entity can be intelligent and can use that intelligence to interact with the physical world. None. Whatsoever.

Okay, maybe that's too strong a statement. There is anecdotal evidence, sure. Lots. But there is lots of anecdotal evidence that Leprechauns, Fairies, Vampires, etc., exist. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that people all the time are being abducted by aliens and having all manner of experiments conducted upon themselves. Stay up late enough with the TV going and you'll be bombarded with an endless supply of anecdotal evidence about get rich quick schemes, age-defying moisturizers and diet secrets that will have you fit and trim in no time with no exercise or hunger.

At some point each of us has to draw the line between what we're willing to believe based on anecdotal evidence alone and what we require more substantive corroboration on. From learning the truth about Santa and the Tooth Fairy to figuring out the truth behind the bluster that is religious dogma, it is a progression. How far one manages to go in this journey has a direct correlation with how rational a person is.

It is irrational to believe that an infinitely intelligent mind that never had to learn anything to become that way, that requires no energy to operate, that was never created and cannot ever be destroyed, that without using any form of depletable energy can move planets as easily as pebbles and knows the position of every particle in the universe and its trajectory at every instant in time.

Yet people believe such a person exists. They believe it not because they have actually seen or been able to verify this person's existence, but only because of anecdotal evidence. The same evidence that brought us every scam that has ever been foisted by one human being on another throughout the course of human history.

We know that our ability to see is an effect of physical nerves in our eyes which are sensitive to a narrow band of wave emissions; that they react to these emissions by producing electrical impulses which are carried through more physical nerves to our physical brains which process these impulses and interpret them in a manner that gives us a very detailed image of the world around us.

As a rational person I have to wonder, what is the evidence that a soul living inside my body has the same ability to "see" even after my eyes, optic nerve and physical brain have been destroyed? It would make sense that if this soul can see without the benefit of eyes or brain activity then it should be able to see even if the eyes or optic nerves were damaged. But sadly for many people who were blinded by some happenstance, sight is only a memory, not anything they can ever hope to recover. At least not as long as they are encumbered by this physical body.

If the soul can see stuff without the need for these physical apparatuses, what does that say about a creator-god who would unnecessarily encumber us with such easily damaged and completely unnecessary components? Does he just enjoy watching people suffer from the inconvenience of blindness?

The evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of physical brains, eyes, ears, etc., being essential to accomplish the things we routinely use them for. If they were/are disposable as Christian theology would have us believe, where is the evidence?

That evidence is entirely anecdotal. Handicaps borne of physical issues are real and they nuke the anecdotal evidence every time.

I've always found it to be an interesting philosophical question about whether or not the brain is ultimately all we have
After a number of liberty ports, i have encountered ample examples that our thought processes are entirely biochemical in nature. Guys do something incredibly stupid with safety equipment, girlfriends, wives, cars, a room full of bikers, and a gun, and if they survive, their defense DEPENDS on the fact that they interrupted their brain's normal operation with chemical pollutants.
At no point was the stupidity so great, or the danger so obvious to an interested, yet sober, observer, or the sin so egregious that a non-physical soul took over the thinking to give the slightest amount of pause.
The parlance of 'the kids today' even acknowledges this as a sort of bottled schizophrenia. My son regularly discusses the different behaviors of Drunk John and Sober John.

And if there is a soul inside, still, that merely records our behavior and has no input on our choices, that says even more about the ultimate design of a supreme being. Because Soul Keith must live with the eternal disposition of our soul based on sins Drunk Keith performed. I mean, imagine that the Soul saw that Drunk Keith was going to sleep with Her Sister, but couldn't stop the infidelity, or the flirting, or even the drinking. And after that, can never convince Normal Keith that he needs to repent that particular sin. Maybe Normal Keith doesn't even remember the infidelity, and cannot repent a sin that occurred during the Saturday Blackout.

Does SK really, then, deserve to go to Hell for the behavior of DK? Or of NK?

I think you are going to find out something after you die.

Superstition: The belief that you will live forever in some heavenly realm after your body has perished. This belief is typically driven by the fear of one's mortality and a refusal to acknowledge reality. You die when your brain dies. It would be impossible for you to to find out anything when you die because you no longer exist.

Fear: If you don't spend your life on your knees bowing and scraping before an imaginary skybeast, you will be roasted in the fires of Hell for all eternity. I don't blame you for being fearful. The god depicted in the Bible is a murderous tyrant, quick to anger, psychopathic and vengeful in its rage, exhibiting no hesitation in committing acts of genocide and torture. The perverse thing is that many Christians call this behavior love.

Obedience: Driven by fear and a belief that you are a sinner not worthy of being loved, you spend your life fellating an imaginary skybeast, instead of living the life you could be living.

Yup, three for three.

Why? Because group-think gives you comfort?

The only person deriving comfort from group-think is you. You have been indoctrinated into believing that your life revolves around an imaginary skybeast, and you go to Church and pray to this beast with other people who have been indoctrinated like you. Your bondage is self imposed and you have the power to break free, to live your life as a free man/woman. The question is, do you have the courage to break out of your bondage?

A brain-dead moron atheist might continue hating the idea of God forever - even from within hell where the gates are locked from the inside. And they might, if they were a great big
[expletive deleted] idiot, just keep on telling themselves the two great rules of atheism.

Rule 1
There is no God.
Rule 2
If there is a God, I hate Him

You're missing the point. You can't do anything when you are dead. Atheist or True-Believer, it doesn't matter. When your brain dies you cease to exist.

And it's nice to see your smug, superior Christian love shining through in your posts.

Must be Sunday, Lion must have had his batteries recharged.

A brain-dead moron atheist might continue hating the idea of God forever - even from within hell where the gates are locked from the inside. And they might, if they were a great big
[expletive deleted] idiot, just keep on telling themselves the two great rules of atheism.

Rule 1
There is no God.
Rule 2
If there is a God, I hate Him

You silver tongued devil, how can we not believe your thoughtful, witty claims about the nature of reality? You are so persuasive.

Hitchens used to rant against God (the celestial dictator) and claim he wouldn't worship God under any circumstances - whether atheism was true or false.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we know there are billions of people who are stupid enough to believe their lives will not end when their bodies die, and they will get to spend eternity sitting on the lap of their preferred super-creature or doing fun things with 72 virgins. I'm sure there are stupid atheists as well.

I think the point Hitchins was trying to make was that the psychopathic homicidal god of the Bible is not worthy of our worship even if he/it were to actually exist, which thankfully does not appear to be the case. Can you explain why you worship Biblegod, given every horrifying crime he/it has allegedly committed against our species? The Bible claims he/it killed every human on this planet other than a small handful of chosen people by flooding the Earth. Why do you condone genocide? You think genocide is ok if god does it, and then you have the nerve to claim atheists are stupid? :rolleyes:

I've always found it to be an interesting philosophical question about whether or not the brain is ultimately all we have or if there is a soul living inside our body that is capable of "seeing with its own eyes" after death as Lion IRC suggests in this thread.

Well I don't really want to derail the thread into a debate about discarnate consciousness but if we think of death as a 'singularity' that can't exactly be duolicated in the science lab, there's no reason to presume against the afterlife.

...We've all seen movies like Ghost where a dead person can see what's going on in the world and can figure out ways to interact with it. The thing is that's fiction. There is no evidence - anywhere - that a non-physical entity can be intelligent and can use that intelligence to interact with the physical world. None. Whatsoever.

How can't you so emphatically reject events which you weren't even there to experience?

...Okay, maybe that's too strong a statement. There is anecdotal evidence, sure. Lots. But there is lots of anecdotal evidence that Leprechauns, Fairies, Vampires, etc., exist. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that people all the time are being abducted by aliens and having all manner of experiments conducted upon themselves.

What you dismiss as anecdotal evidence is what I call raw data.
If you were to say that some/many of them are honestly mistaken, deluded or lying I could agree with you.
Yes, they are extraordinary claims. But an even more extraordinary claim is that every single one of those anecdotes - all of them throughout all of human history - are ALL deliberate lies or hallucinations.
Surely you can expect me to believe that!

... It is irrational to believe that an infinitely intelligent mind that never had to learn anything to become that way, that requires no energy to operate, that was never created and cannot ever be destroyed, that without using any form of depletable energy can move planets as easily as pebbles and knows the position of every particle in the universe and its trajectory at every instant in time.

Why is it irrational to think that? I don't think it irrational to suspect that there are Higher life forms in the universe/multiverse/megaverse.
In fact I would argue that it's irrational to think humans (human conscious existence) represents the upper limit of reality.
It's rather arrogant if you ask me.

...Yet people believe such a person exists. They believe it not because they have actually seen or been able to verify this person's existence, but only because of anecdotal evidence.

That is simply not true - assuming you are making a universal claim about every theist.
I think you are having difficulty believing that others HAVE had verifidical experiences, the best explanation for which is something you would refer to a 'supernatural'. And I think that's because you yourself haven't had such an experience.

...The same evidence that brought us every scam that has ever been foisted by one human being on another throughout the course of human history.

No, no, no.
It's not 'the same evidence'.
People fall for scams because they want them to be true.
And yet many people have reluctantly come to accept theism. Many have had to unwillingly defend unpopular truths. It would have been much more comfortable and convenient in many/most cases for people to keep these anecdotes to themselves.
(The same can be said of atheists who pretend not to be atheists because they fear persecution.)
Some people lie, yes. But please don't lump all anecdotes into the same category.

...We know that our ability to see is an effect of physical nerves in our eyes which are sensitive to a narrow band of wave emissions; that they react to these emissions by producing electrical impulses which are carried through more physical nerves to our physical brains which process these impulses and interpret them in a manner that gives us a very detailed image of the world around us.

It's not our eye which "sees" any more than a telescope "sees" or a set of headphones "hears".
Look how heavily-laden your post is with jargon that oversimplifies "these processes".
Our brain is a lump of meat. Meat doesn't 'interpret' or 'process'.

...As a rational person I have to wonder, what is the evidence that a soul living inside my body has the same ability to "see" even after my eyes, optic nerve and physical brain have been destroyed? It would make sense that if this soul can see without the benefit of eyes or brain activity then it should be able to see even if the eyes or optic nerves were damaged.

Do you dream with your eyes open or closed?

...But sadly for many people who were blinded by some happenstance, sight is only a memory, not anything they can ever hope to recover. At least not as long as they are encumbered by this physical body.

Even blind people use 'visual' vocabulary to describe their dreams.

...If the soul can see stuff without the need for these physical apparatuses, what does that say about a creator-god who would unnecessarily encumber us with such easily damaged and completely unnecessary components?

I don't think blind people wish they were dead.

He was taking a moral stance that he wouldn’t worship a monster even if the monster proved itself to be real. It wasn’t a matter of whether atheism was “true” or “false”.

That wasn’t Hitchens’ point, so you made your point very badly, probably from not comprehending anything atheists say. Prejudice tends to make understanding others difficult. Why not listen with the intent to comprehend rather than just grasping at whatever looks useful for making a jab?

I think the point Hitchins was trying to make was that the psychopathic homicidal god of the Bible is not worthy of our worship even if he/it were to actually exist...

That's right. He was quite adamant that #1 There is no God. And #2 If there is, then I hate him.
Many atheists freely and firmly state that they hate the idea of a celestial dictator.
So, far from being the oft-stated trope that you cannot hate God because He doesn't exist, it is certainly true that atheists have their own version of wishful thinking wrt the afterlife and God.

...Can you explain why you worship Biblegod, given every horrifying crime he/it has allegedly committed against our species? The Bible claims he/it killed every human on this planet other than a small handful of chosen people by flooding the Earth.

Yes.
The concept of ends-justifies-the-means is quite well developed, not only in theology but also in meta ethics generally. Please don't tell me atheists, secular humanists, utilitarians etc don't have their own versions of this exact same concept.
How many millions of unborn babies are aborted by adult humans using some contentious justification? (Typically money)

...Why do you condone genocide? You think genocide is ok if god does it, and then you have the nerve to claim atheists are stupid? :rolleyes:

I don't claim atheists (plural) are stupid. Go back and read what I said.
And I don't condone genocide. How could I?
I'm not in a position to know whether there is a moral imperative to advocate such a thing. (And neither are you.)

Back
Top Bottom