• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Help me remember the criteria for valid prophesy

There are no prophecies in science
But there are certainly predictions - indeed, predictions are the whole point of the exercise.

When NASA launched a Saturn V towards the Moon, they believed that it would get two astronauts to the Lunar surface, and return them safely home.

That wasn't an article of faith; It was a prediction based on scientific principles. And it wasn't always right - as Apollo 13 demonstrated - but the expectation of perfection is a religious, not a scientific, position.

Prophesy must come to pass, because the gods will ensure that it does.

Predictions are sometimes wrong, but that's not because the physics is wrong, it's because we don't have all the information (and yet another of the interesting things we have proven is that we cannot have all the information - but nonetheless we can have enough of it to allow a dozen men to walk on the Moon).

But there are certainly predictions - indeed, predictions are the whole point of the exercise.
No. Empirically testing whether your predictions hold water is the point of the exercise. Making blanket claims about how you know, somehow, that a claim you haven't tested or even encountered yet will nevertheless be adequately predicted with absolute accuracy by your theory of choice is religion, not science, and not the good side of religion either. No, sorry. QFT did not correctly predict the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand, nor will it predict the next assassination of the next significant politician. This isn't because assassinations are somehow beyond the scope of scientific inquiry, but because you are making "Science" into something it is not: a magical source of answers to questions it has not examined nor yet knows how to best pursue.

It annoys me how people dismiss the social sciences as unscientific, then believe seemingly every folk theory of human behavior . We do actually have standards, in the social sciences. If you're going to make some argument about the factors that do or do not lead to political assasinations, any social scientist is going to want to see your data, not some vague waffling about how nothing can shake your faith that muons made it happen somehow.

So if you want me to take you seriously, connect the dots for me. How do you get from "I know this hypothesis is still valid because I empirically tested it and the results were coherent with my predictions" and "there is no question whose answer is not made predictable via my favorite physics paradigm".

How do you get from "I know this hypothesis is still valid because I empirically tested it and the results were coherent with my predictions" and "there is no question whose answer is not made predictable via my favorite physics paradigm".
As I don't subscribe to the absurd second claim, I see no particular reason to attempt the challenge.

Science makes predictions, and tests them, allowing scientists to then make further predictions. It's a cycle; But it's utility comes from the ability to make predictions.

What good does it do to test that a brick will accelerate towards the Earth when dropped, if your skepticism demands you to eschew the prediction that the next one will do likewise?

That's just a recipe for a broken toe.

Science makes predictions, and tests them, allowing scientists to then make further predictions. It's a cycle; But it's utility comes from the ability to make predictions.

Maybe the problem here is confusing "predictions" and "prophecies"?
Maybe it's like the confusion created by the science community's use of the word "theory" and the common vernacular use?
Tom

What good does it do to test that a brick will accelerate towards the Earth when dropped, if your skepticism demands you to eschew the prediction that the next one will do likewise?
The principle of inference, yes. Though, I would add the proviso "provided the same initial conditions exist" to that prediction.

Actually, a good scientist knows that always assuming the brick could do something different would really be a more rigorous scientific mindset, even if they lack the patience to always employ it. Models are shortcuts, not Truths. Useful, but utility always comes with limitations. We try to refine them to make them more useful, in more situations. This is much of the work.

That is not the same thing as claiming that all problems have been solved by quantum field theory. Or to put it another way, that scientists can "fully describe any phenomenon, and correctly predict how it will develop and interact with the rest of reality" when of course they have no such superpowers, and indeed there are many unanswered questions in all branches of science. As, indeed, any actual scientist will tell you. Not shamefully, but happily. Because they are scientists, not priests or prophets, and they actually enjoy working on as yet unexplained phenomena.

That is not the same thing as claiming that all problems have been solved by quantum field theory.
Good. Because as I have repeatedly said, I am not claiming that "all problems have been solved by quantum field theory".

But as you are clearly determined to misunderstand me do that you can argue against stuff nobody in this thread has said, I shall leave it at that.

There's only so many times that I want to drop a brick on my foot.

That is not the same thing as claiming that all problems have been solved by quantum field theory.
Good. Because as I have repeatedly said, I am not claiming that "all problems have been solved by quantum field theory".

But as you are clearly determined to misunderstand me do that you can argue against stuff nobody in this thread has said, I shall leave it at that.

You wrote that:

"Literally everything except (so far) gravity can be described by Quantum Field Theory... giving exactly correct results to within the level of accuracy measurable by our most sophisticated technology."

and that

"The application of a handful of simple rules can fully describe any phenomenon, and correctly predict how it will develop and interact with the rest of reality."

Those are your words, not mine. If you don't want to look and sound like a science worshipper, maybe don't make grandiose and untrue statements about the supposed virtues of mathematical theories.

You wrote that:

"Literally everything except (so far) gravity can be described by Quantum Field Theory... giving exactly correct results to within the level of accuracy measurable by our most sophisticated technology."

and that

"The application of a handful of simple rules can fully describe any phenomenon, and correctly predict how it will develop and interact with the rest of reality."

Those are your words, not mine. If you don't want to look and sound like a science worshipper, maybe don't make grandiose and untrue statements about the supposed virtues of mathematical theories.
No part of what I said is untrue; You are merely drawing an untrue inference from it.

Those two statements do not add up to "all problems have been solved by quantum field theory", and your error in believing that they do is not my responsibility.

I am not sure where the misunderstanding lies, then. Is it that you have some much more restrictive definition of "phenomenon" than I do? How could one have an unexplained phenomenon, but also be able to fully describe it and make exactly correct predictions about it?

I am not sure where the misunderstanding lies, then. Is it that you have some much more restrictive definition of "phenomenon" than I do? How could one have an unexplained phenomenon, but also be able to fully describe it and make exactly correct predictions about it?
Cumulatively.

A valid prophecy must meet several criteria:

• It must actually be a prophecy. Not a documentation of events that is misinterpreted as a prophecy after a similar event occurs later.
  • It must be written before the events that it predicts.
  • The predicted events must actually occur.
  • The prediction must be both falsifiable and verifiable.
  • It must not be overly vague.
  • It must not predict a likely event.
  • It must not be self-fulfilling.
  • Must be timely (must give a time frame for fulfillment) <- My addition

Here's my 1 cent. It's not even 2 cents...

When I first saw your op post with the words "specific" and "timely" and later on with post#3 a mention of "testable" it began to remind me of so-called SMART goals. It's an acronym and there are different variations of how it is spelled out such as specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, timely OR specific, measurable, assignable, realistic, timely. I bring this up first so that you can understand where my mind was going when I read the first few posts, but also because I think it's an interesting distinction and could be useful for analysis, maybe.

Now, upon seeing the actual list as presented by bilby, it's criteria for a different purpose. Obviously one is goals and one is prophecies. Ignore that, though. SMART is for what ought to be considered an _ideal_ way to set up something for examining success/failure later. Let's differentiate that with the prophecy criteria. Their purpose seems to be what ought to be considered _valid_--and what this means seems to be more of a way of checking it is a prophecy by definition and fits into a system of logic, i.e. sensical. A prophecy needs to be declared _before_ the event it predicts, for example, by definition. Meanwhile, the extent to which it is specific might be an ideal. Maybe.

In making this distinction, I am considering our analytical minds. How much do we WANT so-called prophecies to fit certain criteria so we can measure and test them, i.e. how ideal are they for the analytical mind to evaluate versus what is a good prophecy according to how a prophecy is by definition and logical structure. [Another feature is perhaps utility--how useful is the prophecy if it does or does not have the feature--not very useful if it is not specific, for example.]

So next question is, which criteria belong in which camp? It seems like there are a couple of criteria that might not be that relevant to a feature of validity. Then, further, suppose we went to make a separate list of criteria for our ideal prophecy. What would it look like? Would specifics, timely, measurable be there? Would other characteristics not mentioned yet be there?

We want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things.
So I don't see the value of dropping tests when it comes to supernatural claims.

We want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things.

Yes, that's true.

So I don't see the value of dropping tests when it comes to supernatural claims.
I certainly wasn't discussing dropping a test. I do think, though, that the word "valid" doesn't quite match some of the criteria. I think I was more concerned with how that can be misused or misinterpreted. I guess I am picturing a religionist and a skeptic having a debate. Religionist says blah and skeptic says no, that's not valid because x, y and z. Religionist counters no, it's valid. It seems like more truth could be agreed on with skeptic instead saying it's not valid because x and it's _unconvincing_ (or some other term) because y and z.

• It must actually be a prophecy. Not a documentation of events that is misinterpreted as a prophecy after a similar event occurs later.

If that's your test for valid prophesies, we are drowning in them.

Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, China will have a bigger population than Kansas."
Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, IBM will not declare bankruptcy."
Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, it will rain in some parts of the world."
Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, the Dow Jones Industrial Average will go either up or down."

If those aren't examples of what you mean by valid prophecy, then you need additional criteria.

Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, China will have a bigger population than Kansas."
Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, IBM will not declare bankruptcy."
Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, it will rain in some parts of the world."
Example: "I predict that tomorrow, 29 February 2023, the Dow Jones Industrial Average will go either up or down."

If those aren't examples of what you mean by valid prophecy, then you need additional criteria.
I think you missed a step here:

It must not predict a likely event.

Also, you may want to sack whoever supplied your calendar; The day after 28 February 2023 is 1 March 2023*.

*Not a prophecy - It's been March 1 for ten and a half hours here...

I think you missed a step here:

It must not predict a likely event.

Also, you may want to sack whoever supplied your calendar; The day after 28 February 2023 is 1 March 2023*.

*Not a prophecy - It's been March 1 for ten and a half hours here...

And does that not make February 29 unlikely? :D

Yes, I did overlook that criterion. So let's take it into account:

I got this story from some stock market book. Something like this:

Joe sends out 64,000 fliers to people who play the stock market.
In 32,000 of these, he predicts that IBM will go up next week, and in the other 32,000, he predicts that IMB will go down.
Now lets say that IBM goes down.
So Joe scratches those who got the prediction that IBM would go up off of his mailing list.
To half the spamees who remain on his list, he predicts that Apple will go up next week. To the others he predicts it will go down.
He scratches the ones who got the bad Apple prediction from his list.
To the people who got two good predictions, he repeats the exercise, this time sending half (16,000) the prediction that the NASDAC will outperform the DOW. The other half get the opposite prediction.

And so on, until, after six rounds, Joe can tell his 1000 remaining spamees that he has correctly predicted the stock market six times in a row, and that they should therefore subscribe to his expensive newsletter.

Question: Does Joe's feat of correctly predicting the market six times running amount to a valid prophesy?

I don't think it should.

Yet it seems unlikely. And it passes the other tests too.

[Wait, let me go back and read the list of criteria this time. Yes, this meets all of the other criteria.]

Why don't I think this is valid prophesy? Because it's not based on magic. Real gods didn't tell Joe which way the market would go. Joe didn't base his prediction on an actual functioning dowsing stick or weejee board. Joe's predictions weren't real prophesy.

-

Many will have a different objection. They'll say Joe's predictions aren't real prophesy because they contradicted Joe's other predictions. But that's hardly the point. If 64,000 people make six stock market predictions, about a thousand of them will get six right in a row. There's nothing magical or prophetic about this. It's just statistics.

So let's stipulate, for the sake of argument, this:
Joel is a prophet of repentance who is crying out for his nation of Judah to repent of its sins. As the nation mourns the devastation of a locust invasion, Joel warns that if they do not repent, God will send something worse than the locusts — namely an army that will destroy the nation. -- https://christinprophecy.org/articl...Pa2X0VlH78t617DmgLBwwPIKCKI4Ue7YaAj5DEALw_wcBhttps://christinprophecy.org/articl...Pa2X0VlH78t617DmgLBwwPIKCKI4Ue7YaAj5DEALw_wcB

If we stipulate that Joel made this prediction, and that an army did destroy the nation, and that the claim was falsifiable and not too vague and so on, does that make Joel's prediction a valid prophesy?

Joel's religious prediction seems to me no more valid than Joe's stock market prediction.
- There's no reason to think a god sent the army.
- If a god did send the army, there's no reason to think it was Joel's god.
- Even if a god sent the army, and even if it was Joel's god, there's no reason to think the god sent the army because of the nation's sins.

All that Joel has over Joe is that Joel isn't on record as having made contrary predictions.

But surely there were predictions being made right and left, just as happens today.

If 32,000 people predicted an army would destroy the nation, and 32,000 predicted that it wouldn't, that means that 32,000 of these valid prophecies were right.

Joel's prophesy, then, was just one such valid prophesy cherry-picked from a mass of similar prophesies that happened to be right in that case.

That doesn't make it magical. It doesn't make it unusual or unlikely. At least not more unlikely than Joe's correct predictions.

-

Statistical Example: The Rolling Doughnut Disease

- 1000 people are tested for rolling doughnut disease.
- The accuracy of the test is such that, of those subjects who have the disease, about 20% will test negative.
- The accuracy of the test is such that, of those subjects who do not have the disease, about 5% will test positive.
- Of the 1000 people tested, 57 tested positive.

Statistically speaking, how many of the people who tested positive actually have the disease?
And how many of the people who tested negative actually don't have the disease?

In case you want to do the math before you see the correct answer, I put the answer lower down the page.

And the answer is:

You can't tell from the information given. You'd have to know what portion of the tested population actually has the disease.

In this case, I know that nobody actually has the disease, because I made the disease up. So all 57 of the positive results are false positives.

Why is this relevant?

Because the VPT (valid prophesy test) assumes that magic-based prophesies exist, and that magic-based prophesies are more accurate than regular prophesies.

In other words, it assumes the thing it tries to prove.

Thus, it is a circular argument.

Unless we know that two kinds of prophesies exist, magical and non magical; and unless we know that the likelihood of correctness of the two types of prophesies; and unless we know what proportion of the prophesies in the tested population are magic-based; and unless we know that tested prophesies weren't cherry picked (in other words, they weren't included in the bible because they were right, but would have been included regardless of whether they were right), then we can't draw any legitimate conclusions from the VPT.

Last edited:
Yet it seems unlikely.
It seems unlikely, to someone who is unaware of Joe's underhanded shenanigans.

But it is in fact a mathematical certainty; It's not only not unlikely, it's so likely that it absolutely must happen, under any and all circumstances.

So it seems like a prophecy; But it isn't. Joe is what you might call a "false prophet".

Yet it seems unlikely.
It seems unlikely, to someone who is unaware of Joe's underhanded shenanigans.

But it is in fact a mathematical certainty; It's not only not unlikely, it's so likely that it absolutely must happen, under any and all circumstances.

So it seems like a prophecy; But it isn't. Joe is what you might call a "false prophet".

I ask you to go back and read my post again. I believe I dealt with your objection in that post, but, because I took forever to edit and modify my post, your -- perfectly legitimate -- objection was posted before I finished editing.

I take it that you will retract your post since you obviously didn't read the criteria, "It must not predict a likely event".

How much this website would be empty if people bothered to actually read what is written....or write something relevant to the topic.

I take it that you will retract your post since you obviously didn't read the criteria, "It must not predict a likely event".

How much this website would be empty if people bothered to actually read what is written....or write something relevant to the topic.

Retract my post? I don't see that as warranted.

I need to correct, clarify, refine, not retract.

I made a mistake. I missed one of the criteria, as you helpfully point out.

So I need to come up with predictions that satisfy the criterion, "It must not predict a likely event."

"Likely," means the odds are more that 50%, right?

So, if somebody predicted in 2005 that Obama would become president, that would satisfy the criterion, yes?

Yet, I assume, there were dozens or hundreds of people making that prediction. I believe it common for political supporters to overstate their confidence.

Do you consider that a valid prophesy?

How about if somebody bets black on a roulette table, and then, while the wheel is spinning, cries out, "Black, black, it's going to be black!"

That's a valid prophesy?

If we consider your criteria, this exclamation at a roulette table would seem to be a perfect example of a valid prophesy.

Is it really the sort of "prophecy" you're trying to identify?

I doubt it.

So let me offer another example:

Suppose an actual god (Loki, say) tells me that Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert Comic strip, will be our next president. I make the public pronouncement: "Scott Adams will be the next president."

And suppose further that Loki insults Ganesha, who therefore resurrects Abraham Lincoln and arranges for him to become our next president.
Do you really think my pronouncement wouldn't be a valid prophesy just because it didn't come true?

My point, and I do have one, is that I don't think your criteria point to the sort of things you want them to identify.

I'd like you feedback on this.

Back
Top Bottom