• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How are you celebrating Confederate Heritage month?

What´s next Nazi heritage month in Germany?

Maybe they are just proud of the heritage and not the wars of aggression, forced labor, concentration camps, rapes, torture, lamp shades made out of human skin, shooting children for sport, gas chambers, ripping gold fillings out of people's mouths, complete subservience to Hitler, codified bigotry, kangaroo courts, and genocide?

Well, yes, but apart from that, what did the Nazis do that was so bad?

Having been brought up as a Northerner (though parts of rural Michigan are as redneck as anywhere south of the Mason Dixon Line) yet also having lived for the past 23 years in what was once Confederate Arizona, I'm torn.

So I won't fly the Stars & Bars, but I'll instead spend the month looking back on the one thing in my life that is comparable to the Confederacy:

My marriage.

It only lasted a few years, was a bad idea from the start, was marked by constant fighting and it ended a long time ago.

Maybe they are just proud of the heritage and not the wars of aggression, forced labor, concentration camps, rapes, torture, lamp shades made out of human skin, shooting children for sport, gas chambers, ripping gold fillings out of people's mouths, complete subservience to Hitler, codified bigotry, kangaroo courts, and genocide?

Well, yes, but apart from that, what did the Nazis do that was so bad?

they culturally appropriated the swastika

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

.. that.. and the goosestep.

Just want to remind people here that if you are not a southerner your Confederate Heritage celebration is probably a cultural appropriation.

As an Australian, I strongly object to the Confederacy's cultural appropriation of the term 'southerner'. They are from north of the damn equator for fuck's sake. :mad:

Relativism.

I hate it, too.

Back
Top Bottom