• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How do you draw a circle?

beero1000

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
https://qz.com/994486/the-way-you-draw-circles-says-a-lot-about-you/

There are countless ways that we subtly, unconsciously carry our cultures with us: the way we draw, count on our fingers, and imitate real-world sounds, to name a few. That’s the delight at the heart of this massive dataset. To test our theories, we approached colleagues, friends, and family who write in Japanese, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese, and, feeling a bit silly, asked them to draw circles. They gladly jumped in, wondering what their fingers would do, and eager to feel part of something larger.
But there’s still plenty we don’t know. Interest in shape-drawing seems to have gone out of style in psychology. With one exception, all of the research we found on cultural shape-drawing and the torque test was from before 1997. Increasingly, people around the world communicate by typing and tapping, but while the art of handwriting might someday get lost all together, perhaps we’re already forming a whole new crop of keyboard-led cultural differences.

yeah, the young man at best buy supplied great answers to my inquiries and he used his thumb on the keyboard like a sixth finger to look up some information
it was odd, unlike the "typing" class I took in middle school around 7th grade
holding the shift key on the same hand typing the letter keys, odd

From your elbow and shoulder, wrist kept rigid. It gets easier with practice.

I think of drawing a circle and it happens.
EB

I think of a circle and I try to copy that.
EB

Actually I don't remember drawing a circle (things that look a bit like a circle but not a circle per se), except at school and then I was very focused on the compas graphite tip never getting quite where it had started. So, whatever I drew never were actual circles. I could try again, still have the compass. But I know now it won't ever work.

Nobody ever draws circles.
EB

Actually I don't remember drawing a circle (things that look a bit like a circle but not a circle per se), except at school and then I was very focused on the compas graphite tip never getting quite where it had started. So, whatever I drew never were actual circles. I could try again, still have the compass. But I know now it won't ever work.

EB
Well, if you get really lucky, and the spacetime conditions are correct, you draw a circle. That's why I said luck. ;)

EB
A near perfect circle is still a circle; it need not be a perfect circle to be a circle.

EB

I suppose you could say you missed the point.

EB
Well, if you get really lucky, and the spacetime conditions are correct, you draw a circle. That's why I said luck. ;)
Yeah, exactly.

You ain't drawing no circle.

Maybe if you're lucky, then luck, which is divine providence, draws it for you.

The Hand of God draws you a nice circle, if you like.
EB

EB
A near perfect circle is still a circle; it need not be a perfect circle to be a circle.
When exactly does it stop being a circle then? How do you decide one is a circle and the other isn't?!
EB

EB

I suppose you could say you missed the point.
No, it's really you saying it.
EB

Press the head of my penis against the paper and draw around it.

I like to get my penis involved in as many daily activities as possible. Otherwise he gets board and tries to get me to do unwise things.

Last edited:
When exactly does it stop being a circle then? How do you decide one is a circle and the other isn't?!
EB
When a person has a full head of hair, that is contrasted quite evidently to a person that is bald and has no hairs whatsoever; however it's nonsense to deny that a person is bald merely because he has a few strands of hair, just as it's nonsense to deny that a person has a full head of hair just because a few strands are missing. We might not know the exact point where to draw the line, but when the line isn't even close, there's really no guessing involved. If the circle drawing is nearly perfect but just not quite perfect, then it's a drawing of a circle--that isn't perfect, just as a person that isn't 100% bald but 99.7% bald is well worth receiving the bald label.

Yeah, exactly.

You ain't drawing no circle.

Maybe if you're lucky, then luck, which is divine providence, draws it for you.

The Hand of God draws you a nice circle, if you like.
EB

I am going to call Circle Brewing company and tell them I want to be able to go to a barkeep and say "draw me a Circle". Better yet, I'm going to show up at their plant and say "Draw me a Circle". It's in Texas... ok.. maybe not.

EB
When a person has a full head of hair, that is contrasted quite evidently to a person that is bald and has no hairs whatsoever; however it's nonsense to deny that a person is bald merely because he has a few strands of hair, just as it's nonsense to deny that a person has a full head of hair just because a few strands are missing. We might not know the exact point where to draw the line, but when the line isn't even close, there's really no guessing involved. If the circle drawing is nearly perfect but just not quite perfect, then it's a drawing of a circle--that isn't perfect, just as a person that isn't 100% bald but 99.7% bald is well worth receiving the bald label.
Yes there you got it:
You can never draw a circle, you can only draw a drawing of a circle.

But more interesting is this: "points at the same distance from a centerpoint" is not a correct definition if a circle...

Back
Top Bottom