• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How do you draw a circle?

Actually I don't remember drawing a circle (things that look a bit like a circle but not a circle per se), except at school and then I was very focused on the compas graphite tip never getting quite where it had started. So, whatever I drew never were actual circles. I could try again, still have the compass. But I know now it won't ever work.

Nobody ever draws circles.
EB
A near perfect circle is still a circle; it need not be a perfect circle to be a circle.
It's like saying that when I draw a castle it is a castle.

Fast, I'm really surprised even you can't see that.
EB

Draw a random squiggle in Photoshop, blur it 100%, then sharpen it 100%.

It's a bit naïve to think that when you draw a random squiggle it's really going to be a random squiggle.

No, it won't be random. Whatever we draw is never random.

On the other hand, you can draw a squiggle and see what happens after that.
EB

I draw a square and argue with whoever is looking at it.

I ask somebody else to draw a circle and then I can mock it.
EB

Ever worry that the vibrations of your mockery temporarily create perfectly circular disturbances in spacetime around the ink?

It's a bit naïve to think that when you draw a random squiggle it's really going to be a random squiggle.

EB
When you said, "a bit like a circle," it seemed to suggest that you were drawing a depiction of an imperfect circle and therefore not drawing a depiction of a circle. I wasn't trying to deny the distinction between the depiction of something in drawing form and the thing being depicted; rather, my intent was to deny that an imperfect something isn't still something. A close yet imperfect circle is still a circle, just as a close yet imperfect drawing of a circle is still a drawing of a circle.

EB

I don't believe in random... only ignorance of the unknown.

EB

I don't believe in random... only ignorance of the unknown.
A book in French on QM stated that there's a fundamental difference between ordinary randomness in macroscopic systems, which is essentially an epiphenomenon of our ignorance of the detailed interactions that all together produced the outcome, and QM randomness, which is fundamental randomness.

It didn't say anything about circles done by hand but I suspect it would have said randomness in drawings is not true randomness.
EB

Quantum randomness is random. If it were chaotic is would produce predictable results without need for some theory. Quantum Mechanical theory may be chaotic.

What do you mean? Chaotic systems don't produce predictable results, even though they are deterministic. Think the n-body problem.

I'm thinking chaotic processes are bound whilst random processes are not bound. Both are deterministic.

For every season turn turn turn ......
For some reason, I thought random was not deterministic (non-existent as well), and chaotic is deterministic. Maybe because I read the definitions on the little, tiny corner of the internet that I am connected to.

Perhaps your response was random. :D

Back
Top Bottom