• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How long before you can wear a dress again?

How long before you can wear that fancy and distinctive dress again to a fundraiser ball with mostly

• Wear it the next week if you want to.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • at least 1 year then no one will care

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • wait 2-3 years to avoid embarrassment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-9 years wait is enough to not be a fashion dud

• 10 years if you still fit it

• NEVER wear the same dress twice.

• Total voters

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Formal dress, for a fundraiser ball. Can you NEVER wear that dress a second time? Or how many years before it's not totally crude to wear it again?
(Question is supposed to say "How long before you can wear that fancy and distinctive dress again to a fundraiser ball with mostly the same people")

First world problem?

Women's world problem?

Men have it so much easier on the formal fashion front. One standard tuxedo is fine for most all formal occasions. I can see how some women (and men too) could get a little catty If a woman wore a formal gown twice. See Joan Rivers and the fashion police.

Proof that people be dumb.

The correct answer is that it doesn't and shouldn't matter. The human answer is invariably based on some out-dated logic that's carried on in the minds of people who conform to stupid rituals.

Sorry for the rant, but it's stuff like this that makes me viscerally angry.

I probably could get away with wearing it two or three times before people noticed the dress. Of course, I have the advantage of being a man with the legs for a dress.

As soon as it's been washed, you're good to go. If not, you need to find yourself a new group of friends who appreciate you for your mind and not for superficial irrelevancies like how much of your limited income you're spending to try and impress them.

First world problem?

Women's world problem?

Men have it so much easier on the formal fashion front. One standard tuxedo is fine for most all formal occasions. I can see how some women (and men too) could get a little catty If a woman wore a formal gown twice. See Joan Rivers and the fashion police.

Totally first world problem.
Totally women's world problem.
My husband wouldn't care at all if I wore the same gown twice on dates.
Chuckling that no women have answered.

I asked in my mothers' group and they all said 2-3 years then switch up the jewelry and shawl. One said new shoes, too, but I can't imagine anyone remembering my shoes.

Funny contrast in answers.

I'm not much of a fashion maven, and I only do this one event a year for the school. It's really the only time I ever wear heels. The people are a blast so it's worth it. But this happens to be a question I don't actually know the answer to - hence the seeking of data.

And yeah two thing on the gender difference:
1. Men do have it super duper easy.
2. They get to have pockets.
3. I wish men dressed more brightly. Maybe we don't need the 70s back, but a purple suit or two would liven up the dance floor.

(PS, I look fabulous in my scarlet red sequinned dress and copper-gold strappy heels, in case y'all were wondering)

Proof that people be dumb.

The correct answer is that it doesn't and shouldn't matter. The human answer is invariably based on some out-dated logic that's carried on in the minds of people who conform to stupid rituals.

Sorry for the rant, but it's stuff like this that makes me viscerally angry.

Agreed.

If you have to purchase a dress for an event don't go to the event!

Formal dress, for a fundraiser ball. Can you NEVER wear that dress a second time? Or how many years before it's not totally crude to wear it again?
(Question is supposed to say "How long before you can wear that fancy and distinctive dress again to a fundraiser ball with mostly the same people")

Why couldnt you? What would happen?

I'm pulling this answer out the air, but I don't think it's so much time as it is consecutive use. Wear a minimum of three separate outfits before rotating. Can you imagine wearing the same very distinctive outfit (classy or otherwise) to a yearly party five years back to back? Or a formal weekly event five times back to back? If it's a totally different crowd, sure, but same crowd, no way.

People who truly don't give a rats ass about what others think of them can wear Daffy Duck pajamas--and they'll be judged accordingly. Most people, I highly suspect, does have a place inside themselves that appreciates the value of positive perception, despite their cries for not giving a shit--deny that all they might, and I'll maintain my doubt and continue to think they do care, and care not they may insist, I don't buy it.

Of course, there are a couple groups that actually don't care, but the more dignified wouldn't let what they lack influence good judgement.

I'm pulling this answer out the air, but I don't think it's so much time as it is consecutive use. Wear a minimum of three separate outfits before rotating. Can you imagine wearing the same very distinctive outfit (classy or otherwise) to a yearly party five years back to back? Or a formal weekly event five times back to back? If it's a totally different crowd, sure, but same crowd, no way.

People who truly don't give a rats ass about what others think of them can wear Daffy Duck pajamas--and they'll be judged accordingly. Most people, I highly suspect, does have a place inside themselves that appreciates the value of positive perception, despite their cries for not giving a shit--deny that all they might, and I'll maintain my doubt and continue to think they do care, and care not they may insist, I don't buy it.

Of course, there are a couple groups that actually don't care, but the more dignified wouldn't let what they lack influence good judgement.

Eh? Why care? If the dress is nice then I would like to see it again snd again. The requirement to have a different dress each time is nothing but snobbism.

It is more than 30 years since any of this mattered to me, and my head says "Wear whatever you like, and change the oil of the car in it in between times." but my heart thinks that we go out in our glad rags to feel joyful, and that that new (ish) sensation is part of it.

When I was going to balls and suchlike I rotated 3 or 4 dresses. I also used scarves and jackets and belts to change the look of clothes. The shoe thing sounds odd but different shoes can change the look of a dress considerably.

I'm not convinced that the opinion of others is crucial (though I suspect you move in circles where it might MATTER), but the way you feel in the dress matters.

As soon as it's been washed, you're good to go. If not, you need to find yourself a new group of friends who appreciate you for your mind and not for superficial irrelevancies like how much of your limited income you're spending to try and impress them.

Washed? Are you crazy? A dress that fancy MUST be dry cleaned!

- - - Updated - - -

(PS, I look fabulous in my scarlet red sequinned dress and copper-gold strappy heels, in case y'all were wondering)

Picture, or it didn't happen!

This gets at the point of my question pretty well. These people mostly see me ONE time a year - at this party.

Part of the theme of the party is to have fun dressing up in bright and sparkly things. Named themes for the various years have included Mardi Gras, Sequins, High School Prom, etc.

So you can see where the outfit will be distinctive and many of the people will have only seen me in that context. None are actually snobby. So I don't suppose any would think _less_ of me for wearing the same dress every year. (Although the guy who wore the powder blue tuxedo and the ruffled pink shirt for "High School Prom" year might actually draw some eyebrows if he re-used his costume. And the guy with the sequinned tie would probably fail to get awards for subsequent years.)

But in an academic sense, For those who _do_ care, I was curious about where those lines lie, since I had no idea.
At the same time, it is refreshing and validating to know how many _don't_ care. Faith in my fellow man and all that.

This is the dress in question, btw:

red dress.jpg

wait, what. No opinions are scorned on this topic...
(unless you were about to say that I did NOT look great in that dress, in which case, yeah, "nm" is the best post to make.)
(edited to clarify: because I think I look great in ANYTHING, because life is pretty much great.)

Someone ninja'd me with the pix or it didn't happen.

And yes, you looked very nice in that photo. Actually reminded me of a woman I dated many years ago.

So, didja have a good time? Didja get any compliments about your hot dress? (Rhea, not Ziprhead, please).

Event hasn't happened yet - I'm actually thinking ahead here. Hard to believe, I know, but this is me NOT being last-minute.

I used to have a series of outfits I would wear on dates in the pre-Bilby days. I would wear a certain dress on date one, two and three... if they made it past three I was out of options.. :p

Back
Top Bottom