• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How many accusers need to come forward before you believe the accused is guilty?

How many accusers need to come forward for you to believe the accuser is guilty?

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really? A mere accusation with no corroborating evidence of any sort can get your court to convict someone? I didn't realize your country's courts were so unfair.
I remember hearing the Prosecutor explaining to the prospective jury pool that real life wasn't like CSI and the evidence available for the cases were never that in depth. In other words, we were going to need to take the Cops' words for it.

Odd are near zero that there would be no other evidence in such a case, which includes things like the suspect being arrested at the scene, etc.. And of course lawyers on both side always try to get their witnesses claims to be taken on faith. But the inherent nature of the system always exposes jurors to questioning and/or evidence that speaks to the credibility of the person making the claim. The accused will claim the opposite, so why shouldn't they simply be believed? Since both cannot be believed, either mere claim is worthless in and of itself, without additional information to establish whose claim is more credible.

A rational answer depends upon full consideration of the plausibility of various explanations for the accusations, and that plausibility depends upon various contextual factors and details, including who both the accuser and accused are, their relation to each other, motivations for dishonesty, any type of corroboration, time elapse and other factors that produce errors in memory, etc..
The number of accusers is one of many factors, and it can carry a lot or little weight depending upon the context, like whether they know each other, whether the accused is famous and there is some reason multiple people would share a motive to lie about them, etc..

IOW, all the same kind of things I consider when believing anyone about anything.
But there does seem to be a number for the public. You get the first accusation, which gets refuted immediately. Then a second and third. People perk their ears up. It is usually a swell of accusations after the third refuting that leads to the public biting into that the first one might be telling the truth. What is odd is that Trump even defied that generality.

There is no specific number, even for the public or even for any single member of the public. How many accusations lead to confidence in guilt depends on who the person is, how they were viewed prior to the accusations, were the accusations timed right at the moment the person acquired some extra fame?, etc..

Trump was recorded privately admitting to sexual assault. So, in his case, those who don't believe in his guilt are clearly not concerned with credibility, they just hold a faith based position they refuse to abandon no matter what. Similar happened with Clinton faithers. The question is not about them, but what is rational, and it is never rational to simply accept a claim without critically evaluating the credibility of the source and other factors.

LD asked for a thought experiment, not about the courts, perhaps to examine people's impressions prior to even getting into a jury, or to examine the impressions of the populace in consideration of voting.

Imagine there is a 50% chance each accuser is telling the truth and a 50% chance they are lying. Assume they are independent. What is the probability that all N are lying?
N Probability all are lying
1 50%
2 25%
3 12.5%
4 6.25%
5 3.125%
...and so on...

How confident do you as a person need to be to "believe" something? 51% confident? 80% confident? 90% confident? If you need to be 51% confident, then 2 people would be enough on average and with certain assumptions. If you feel you need to be 95% confident to believe something, then maybe that is 5 people for you to believe it.

As for me, I may end up believing something sometimes at less than a 90% confidence. However, I try to practice my life in a way where I suspend belief because it is a complicated thing based on intuitions and super-fast brain processes in some advanced algorithm that can be wrong. I would want to confirm my beliefs using evidence and arguments or suspend them in some cases when the outcomes have large risk for quick, rash decisions.

Also, importantly, the assumption of independence of accusers can be wrong. If we're talking about a particular accused person, like a rich or charismatic person, there may be multiple persons who all want to accuse them for the same reason. Or accusers could all be Republican operatives lying about an atheist, etc.

And the assumption of 50% telling the truth versus lying can be wrong and may be context based. So, for example, back in Salem in the 1600s, people lying about witches may have been common. Today, ladies lying about sex assault is rare.

Suppose we were talking about Salem witches then. Suppose accusations were independent [they often were not] and that this was about practice of witchcraft, not actually being a real magical witch. So, if you collected herbs and tried to poison someone, you may have been practicing but nothing magical about it. Now, suppose there was a 90% chance that accuser was lying. So we'd have:
N Probability all the accusers are lying
1 90%
2 81%
3 72.9%
4 65.6%
5 59%

So maybe you'd need 20 people telling you someone was a witch to believe they did some kind of Wiccan thing, like dancing in the forest or collecting herbs...but of course the magical claims would be 100% false at all times.

Now, suppose we are talking about women being sexually assaulted. Suppose accusations are independent [in cases of famous accused, they might not be]. Estimates range from 2% to 10% about women lying about such things. So, let's take the bigger number. Suppose there is a 90% chance that accuser is telling the truth. So we'd have:
1 10%
2 1%
3 0.1%
4 0.01%
5 0.001%

A rational answer depends upon full consideration of the plausibility of various explanations for the accusations, and that plausibility depends upon various contextual factors and details, including who both the accuser and accused are, their relation to each other, motivations for dishonesty, any type of corroboration, time elapse and other factors that produce errors in memory, etc..
The number of accusers is one of many factors, and it can carry a lot or little weight depending upon the context, like whether they know each other, whether the accused is famous and there is some reason multiple people would share a motive to lie about them, etc..

IOW, all the same kind of things I consider when believing anyone about anything.

Best answer to the OP so far.

It isn't the number of accusers that i find convincing. It is the corroborating evidence from disinterested third parties, and even moreso, the evidence that is not witness based.

Statements or writings made before the accusation(s) are also very helpful, which is why it makes sense to document things when they happen.
Yup. Victims are not credible. Even if she reported this the day it happened, the boys deny and that’s that.

A mere accusation is not enough. Correct. Imagine if our courts functioned in that way, finding an accused guilty simply because he is accused and the accuser named a day and place it happened along with a few details the police can't know if they are true or not. Glad they don't. But public opinion does.
And even the courts get it wrong. There are a lot of cases of innocent people who were set free because of DNA evidence many years after the fact.

But there does seem to be a number for the public. You get the first accusation, which gets refuted immediately. Then a second and third. People perk their ears up. It is usually a swell of accusations after the third refuting that leads to the public biting into that the first one might be telling the truth. What is odd is that Trump even defied that generality.
No other republican candidate other than Trump could have possibly survived the "pussy grabbing" scandal. Probably no other candidate either party in my whole life time would have survived this either. None come to my mind....maybe not even George Washington himself. The "pussy" scandal was huge beyond belief!

That should tell you right there how badly the working class wanted to elect him.

No other republican candidate other than Trump could have possibly survived the "pussy grabbing" scandal. Probably no other candidate either party in my whole life time would have survived this either. None come to my mind....maybe not even George Washington himself. The "pussy" scandal was huge beyond belief!

That should tell you right there how badly the working class wanted to elect him.

Media coverage of the 2016 election often emphasized Donald Trump’s appeal to the working class. The Atlantic said that “the billionaire developer is building a blue-collar foundation.” The Associated Press wondered what “Trump’s success in attracting white, working-class voters” would mean for his general election strategy. On Nov. 9, the New York Times front-page article about Trump’s victory characterized it as “a decisive demonstration of power by a largely overlooked coalition of mostly blue-collar white and working-class voters.”

There’s just one problem: this account is wrong. Trump voters were not mostly working-class people.

During the primaries, Trump supporters were mostly affluent people.

The misrepresentation of Trump’s working-class support began in the primaries. In a widely read March 2016 piece, the writer Thomas Frank, for instance, argued at length that “working-class white people … make up the bulk of Trump’s fan base.” Many journalists found colorful examples of working-class Trump supporters at early campaign rallies. But were those anecdotes an accurate representation of the emerging Trump coalition?

There were good reasons to be skeptical. For one, most 2016 polls didn’t include information about how the people surveyed earned a living, that is, their occupations — the preferred measure of social class among scholars. When journalists wrote that Trump was appealing to working-class voters, they didn’t really know whether Trump voters were construction workers or CEOs.

Moreover, according to what is arguably the next-best measure of class, household income, Trump supporters didn’t look overwhelmingly “working class” during the primaries. To the contrary, many polls showed that Trump supporters were mostly affluent Republicans. For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that only a third of Trump supporters had household incomes at or below the national median of about $50,000. Another third made $50,000 to $100,000, and another third made $100,000 or more and that was true even when we limited the analysis to only non-Hispanic whites. If being working class means being in the bottom half of the income distribution, the vast majority of Trump supporters during the primaries were not working class.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ere-not-working-class/?utm_term=.3604ad11a146

It isn't the number of accusers that i find convincing. It is the corroborating evidence from disinterested third parties, and even moreso, the evidence that is not witness based.

Statements or writings made before the accusation(s) are also very helpful, which is why it makes sense to document things when they happen.
Yup. Victims are not credible. Even if she reported this the day it happened, the boys deny and that’s that. Male privilege I suppose.

Men seem to be smart enough to know not to sexually assault women in front of disinterested third parties.

It's that we put much more credence on things that would be much harder to make up.

Such as all the things Ford has said about her assault.

I find that extremely underwhelming. She could remember details for a wide variety of reasons, and who says those details are correct? This is hardly good evidence that he did anything wrong, even if they both were there at the same place and time (and even that isn't established).

The point is the details are correct. That's what makes it compelling.

After watching what Dr. Ford was subject to, and how the confirmation steam rolled right along, I've got a bad feeling that a whole lot of women who were about to raise their hands and say "Me Too" will be rethinking that decision. At best you might be disbelieved. At worst you might be dragged into the spotlight and publicly pilloried for daring to speak out against a powerful man.

I hope I'm wrong.

My own opinion is that with this happening so close to the mid-terms, we're going to see women determined to get out and vote Democrat. This may well be a Pyrrhic victory alienating independent female voters.

I was able to base my judgement on her claim based on my knowledge of her, the openness of her, and what she said to be confident she was telling me the truth. A truth that isn't very easy to share.

No sorry, that's not enough for me to declare somebody guilty of a heinous crime. I can comfort her and may believe that she believes he raped her, but I will not declare the person she accuses to a rapist.

I was able to base my judgement on her claim based on my knowledge of her, the openness of her, and what she said to be confident she was telling me the truth. A truth that isn't very easy to share.

No sorry, that's not enough for me to declare somebody guilty of a heinous crime. I can comfort her and may believe that she believes he raped her, but I will not declare the person she accuses to a rapist.

Believing and declaring are two different things.

Sure.

But that would be enough for a rational person to believe that the accusation is more likely true than not, because the large majority of such accusation are true. Granted, that > 50% criteria is not enough confidence to give a guilty verdict in a criminal case, but can and should be enough in other contexts, such as deciding whether to allow your daughter to date that person or deciding whether that person should have the immense privilege and power of sitting on SCOTUS for the next 30 years. In those contexts, they are not being denied any kind of basic right, just not being rewarded with a privilege few people have and power they could use to harm others. Thus, the > 50% is an appropriate criteria. In fact, you don't even need to "believe" they are a rapist to justify not granting them these privileges, rather a mere plausibility that they are is sufficient to make giving them this power an unnecessary risk, because there are plenty of people for whom there is no suggestion of it being plausible.

But that would be enough for a rational person to believe that the accusation is more likely true than not, because the large majority of such accusation are true. Granted, that > 50% criteria is not enough confidence to give a guilty verdict in a criminal case, but can and should be enough in other contexts, such as deciding whether to allow your daughter to date that person or deciding whether that person should have the immense privilege and power of sitting on SCOTUS for the next 30 years. In those contexts, they are not being denied any kind of basic right, just not being rewarded with a privilege few people have and power they could use to harm others. Thus, the > 50% is an appropriate criteria. In fact, you don't even need to "believe" they are a rapist to justify not granting them these privileges, rather a mere plausibility that they are is sufficient to make giving them this power an unnecessary risk, because there are plenty of people for whom there is no suggestion of it being plausible.

Greater than 50% is arbitrary. In some contexts it is too high and in other contexts it is too low. That's also a bit of a tangent to the original op and is better suited to a different thread, already made. In that other thread, I discussed risk assessment but this thread is merely about belief which ought to be correlated in some way to probability. In any case, risk is a convolution of severity of outcome and probability. So, for example, if you are doing thing X where the probability of the outcome is 10% chance of a zombie apocalypse, then that is not acceptable as an action. If there is a 30% chance your daughter's date is a rapist, it is still unacceptable to allow it to go forward. See my post in the other thread.

In regard to probability and belief strictly in the context of this thread without taking into account credibility, etc, see my previous post in this thread. There is a relationship between N: the number of independent accusers, and the probability all are lying. Only one accuser has to be telling the truth for the accused to be "guilty" of something.

With respect to Kavanaugh, Republicans were throwing mud everywhere and it certainly muddies the waters. It is hard to know what is true. So, for example, the two anonymous guys who independently said they were the ones who tried to rape Ford each on their own. Was that a Republican hoax? All the Republican Senators are probably mandatory reporters of such incident and so the names of those persons should have been reported to the FBI or police. But were they and how do we assess what that even means? Swenton was accused of wanting gangs of men by some other Christian leader who is not quite on record and neither is she. No one at all seems to be accusing Ramirez of anything like lying. Assessing probabilities of vagueness is difficult.

BUT I think I do not need to do the non-trivial exercise because (1) this thread is not merely about Kavanaugh but instead to establish some ground rules about N and (2) there is already a trivial proof of Kavanaugh's unsuitability for SC justice. He clearly perjured himself and is so extremely partisan that it allows him to be prejudicial. Therefore, we do not need to make a final conclusion about Ford et alia, but instead we can conclude Kavanaigh is unacceptable as a justice. There are even some moderate Republicans who follow this line of reasoning.

Greater than 50% is arbitrary. In some contexts it is too high and in other contexts it is too low.

It isn't "arbitrary", it is context-dependent, which is what I said. But anything lower than 50% cannot be called a "belief", by definition. A minimum criteria to say "I believe that X." is that you think X is more likely than not. Anything less means that you think "not X" is more likely.

That's also a bit of a tangent to the original op and is better suited to a different thread, already made. In that other thread, I discussed risk assessment but this thread is merely about belief which ought to be correlated in some way to probability.

It is highly relevant, because it highlights another reason why the OP asks a meaningless question that cannot be rationally answered without extensive qualifications and clarifications. Belief is not a dichotomous state and almost never is it rational to have certain belief. Which means that belief in a claim ranges from anywhere between thinking the claim has 50.00001% probability to 99.99999% probability. Our willingness to attach the word "belief" to a given level of probability varies by context.

In any case, risk is a convolution of severity of outcome and probability. So, for example, if you are doing thing X where the probability of the outcome is 10% chance of a zombie apocalypse, then that is not acceptable as an action. If there is a 30% chance your daughter's date is a rapist, it is still unacceptable to allow it to go forward. See my post in the other thread.

True, which is why I said that it can be reasonable to act as though the claim is true, even if you do not actually believe it is true by the minimum criteria of 50% probability.

In regard to probability and belief strictly in the context of this thread without taking into account credibility, etc, see my previous post in this thread. There is a relationship between N: the number of independent accusers, and the probability all are lying. Only one accuser has to be telling the truth for the accused to be "guilty" of something.

But that relationship between # of accusers and probability is non-linear and changes drastically depending upon context and accuser credibility.
How much an additional accuser increases the probability varies massively depending upon the situation and who the accusers are. Thus, it is meaningless to even ask it in a hypothetical situation that has no similarity to any real world event. Any rational answer would require estimating the increase in probability in all probable situations and then reporting some meaningless "average" which may be nowhere near the actual number in any actual situation (just like "50" is nowhere near the 0 and 100 of which it is an average). Besides, since such a level of processing is implausible, it is unlikely that anyone actually giving a numerical response to the OP poll is giving anything but an arbitrary or purely ideological, irrational answer.

With respect to Kavanaugh, Republicans were throwing mud everywhere and it certainly muddies the waters. It is hard to know what is true. So, for example, the two anonymous guys who independently said they were the ones who tried to rape Ford each on their own. Was that a Republican hoax?

Correct, and that just illustrates how meaningless it is to talk about any increase in probability due to the # of people making a claim. Suppose that 3 anonymous people say they saw who raped Ford at that party and it wasn't Kavanaugh. That wouldn't count for anything more than 1 person saying it, and in fact would count for less than if 1 person said is on the record and gave their name. How much an each accusation matters depends entirely upon context, who is making it, whether they go on the record, etc..

(1) this thread is not merely about Kavanaugh but instead to establish some ground rules about N

Well, the OP is a misguided effort to establish ground rules about N, but most of the post are about how utterly foolish it is to try to do so and how irrational and inapplicable to any real world situation any answer to the OP poll would be.

(2) there is already a trivial proof of Kavanaugh's unsuitability for SC justice. He clearly perjured himself and is so extremely partisan that it allows him to be prejudicial. Therefore, we do not need to make a final conclusion about Ford et alia, but instead we can conclude Kavanaigh is unacceptable as a justice. There are even some moderate Republicans who follow this line of reasoning.

I agree with this, but the last point of my prior post was that rational and decent people would vote against him for SCOTUS even without the perjury, partisanship, and lack of emotional control and professionalism he showed. Even if one thinks there is only a 20% chance he tried to rape Ford, that is sufficient basis to vote against him, because it is a risk assessment decision not just a decision of whether the rape claim should be believed.

LD asked for a thought experiment, not about the courts, perhaps to examine people's impressions prior to even getting into a jury, or to examine the impressions of the populace in consideration of voting.

Imagine there is a 50% chance each accuser is telling the truth and a 50% chance they are lying. Assume they are independent. What is the probability that all N are lying?
N Probability all are lying
1 50%
2 25%
3 12.5%
4 6.25%
5 3.125%
...and so on...

How confident do you as a person need to be to "believe" something? 51% confident? 80% confident? 90% confident? If you need to be 51% confident, then 2 people would be enough on average and with certain assumptions. If you feel you need to be 95% confident to believe something, then maybe that is 5 people for you to believe it.

As for me, I may end up believing something sometimes at less than a 90% confidence. However, I try to practice my life in a way where I suspend belief because it is a complicated thing based on intuitions and super-fast brain processes in some advanced algorithm that can be wrong. I would want to confirm my beliefs using evidence and arguments or suspend them in some cases when the outcomes have large risk for quick, rash decisions.

Also, importantly, the assumption of independence of accusers can be wrong. If we're talking about a particular accused person, like a rich or charismatic person, there may be multiple persons who all want to accuse them for the same reason. Or accusers could all be Republican operatives lying about an atheist, etc.

And the assumption of 50% telling the truth versus lying can be wrong and may be context based. So, for example, back in Salem in the 1600s, people lying about witches may have been common. Today, ladies lying about sex assault is rare.

Suppose we were talking about Salem witches then. Suppose accusations were independent [they often were not] and that this was about practice of witchcraft, not actually being a real magical witch. So, if you collected herbs and tried to poison someone, you may have been practicing but nothing magical about it. Now, suppose there was a 90% chance that accuser was lying. So we'd have:
1 90%
2 81%
3 72.9%
4 65.6%
5 59%

So maybe you'd need 20 people telling you someone was a witch to believe they did some kind of Wiccan thing, like dancing in the forest or collecting herbs...but of course the magical claims would be 100% false at all times.

Now, suppose we are talking about women being sexually assaulted. Suppose accusations are independent [in cases of famous accused, they might not be]. Estimates range from 2% to 10% about women lying about such things. So, let's take the bigger number. Suppose there is a 90% chance that accuser is telling the truth. So we'd have:
1 10%
2 1%
3 0.1%
4 0.01%
5 0.001%

interesting way of looking at the question

No sorry, that's not enough for me to declare somebody guilty of a heinous crime.
Well that's good, because this wasn't a criminal trial

I will not declare the person she accuses to a rapist.
She didn't say he was a rapist.

So, bottom line is that if you had very credible information that a man you were about to hire for a very powerful position more likely than not has a drinking problem and has assaulted one or women while he was drunk... you would hire that person anyway in spite of having multiple equally qualified people also available for the position.

Back
Top Bottom