• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How many wirless SSIDs can you pick up?

I didn't even know one could set up a guest AP.

Not that I plan on letting any guests use my WLAN any time soon.

Here, it's enabled as a default in most big ISP supplied modem-routers. Part of their marketing scheme (come with us, leave it enabled, and you can connect from anywhere if there's another subscriber around).
I don't mind - or rather I didn't mind even when I was living closer to other houses. The system is set up so that your private access has bandwidth priority.
Commies.

20, not including my own. I live in an apartment, though. An additional two are mine.

ETA: actually, apparently, 33.

No way I'm letting others on my internet. We only get 15GB per month so even when my son's friends come over, we unplug it so they don't all stream stuff that uses up our allotment.

I didn't even know one could set up a guest AP.

Not that I plan on letting any guests use my WLAN any time soon.

It depends on the ISP.

- - - Updated - - -

No way I'm letting others on my internet. We only get 15GB per month so even when my son's friends come over, we unplug it so they don't all stream stuff that uses up our allotment.

15gb?! Horrors! I'm very close to the 300gb allotment we get here (but only a couple of days left in the cycle.)

When we got our new router I was glad to learn it had a Guest connection. We give the Guest password to visitors. I have no idea what our data limit is. My wife would have said something if we ever went over as she does the bills.

15gb?! Horrors! I'm very close to the 300gb allotment we get here (but only a couple of days left in the cycle.)

Yeah, that's why when people post videos without a description of what's in it, I'm all, yeah, you need to work harder than that.

When we got our new router I was glad to learn it had a Guest connection. We give the Guest password to visitors. I have no idea what our data limit is. My wife would have said something if we ever went over as she does the bills.

The main reason to have a guest connection for me is that it allows visitors to access the 'net, without giving them access (even in principle) to modify the router settings, or to connect to the other machines on the LAN.

I only turn it on when we have someone staying over; It is an additional incentive for the young lady who looks after our animals when we are away, that she gets free internet during her stay.

It depends on the ISP.

No, it depends on the router, although most people rent their router from the ISP for reasons I can't fathom.
Really? Aren't you involved in IT?

Most people sign up for a DSL broadband account, wait until the router is delivered, plug it in, follow the installation instructions and are done with it. Do you really not understand why most people don't purchase and setup their own home Internet routers?

The answer is: Most people are entirely unaware that that's a thing that can be done and don't have a clue why that's a thing they even should consider doing, if they were aware of the possibility.

Routers can have guest access but you don't get the shared guest access unless your ISP supports it.
what is "shared guest access"? how is that different from "guest access"?

Any subscriber can use your WiFi, you can use any other subscriber's WiFi. It only connects out to the internet, you can't see their computer(s). Some ISPs offer this as a service so you have much more access to WiFi.

what is "shared guest access"? how is that different from "guest access"?

Any subscriber can use your WiFi, you can use any other subscriber's WiFi. It only connects out to the internet, you can't see their computer(s). Some ISPs offer this as a service so you have much more access to WiFi.
I see, you can't disable it.

I see, you can't disable it.

No--it's something you can turn on and off. The usual pattern is if you turn it off you can't use other's guest access.

Strangest thing with my wireless on this computer is that when it's got 5 bars, it's slower than when it's 4. Perhaps it's running harder to keep up?

Back
Top Bottom