• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Are the hulls of Russian warships made of cardboard?
If the warhead penetrated there's no way the hull could have stood up to it, shredding like cardboard isn't strange. The thinner the metal the more it will shred--and since the news seems to be identifying it as a missile boat I would expect the hull is pretty thin.

If the warhead penetrated there's no way the hull could have stood up to it, shredding like cardboard isn't strange. The thinner the metal the more it will shred--and since the news seems to be identifying it as a missile boat I would expect the hull is pretty thin.

Even beyond the obvious damage, consider how much moe was twisted and warped due to the shock and heat. Likely half or more of the watertight doors aren't watertight any longer. And all the wiring that got severed that goes through the raceways in the overhead of the passageways, all that would likely have to be pulled back all the way to the equipment it services and replaced. That thing is toast.
But I cannot emphasize enough how this hurts the rest of the Black Sea Fleet to have a new ship destroyed. Everything I was stationed aboard in the navy was about thirty years old. The US Navy has a hell of a time keeping their older ships repaired and out to sea, performing their missions. It must be infinitely harder for the Russians to do it on their best days. But with sanctions and shipyards under attack, furgedaboudit. These are hardly their best days.

Think it can even survive towing? Or does this repair job have to be done in the winter, in a war zone, when clearly Ukraine is capable of hitting it again?
Tom

Zing it occasionally with cheap munitions. Make Russia waste lots of anti-aircraft weaponry. Advanced training for Ukranian forces. Irritate the vatniks. Turn it into a floating junkpile at best.

I wonder what the Ukrainians are cooking up for the Kerch bridge?

Zing it occasionally with cheap munitions. Make Russia waste lots of anti-aircraft weaponry. Advanced training for Ukranian forces. Irritate the vatniks. Turn it into a floating junkpile at best.

I wonder what the Ukrainians are cooking up for the Kerch bridge?
Cheap munitions (drones/dummy missiles) with a few ATACMS with unitary warheads mixed in, I hope.

Think it can even survive towing? Or does this repair job have to be done in the winter, in a war zone, when clearly Ukraine is capable of hitting it again?
Tom
Probably pull it back to a berth in the same port where it can be parted out. There is another of this class ship supposed to be ported there. Probably changing homeports as we speak.

Tom
Probably pull it back to a berth in the same port where it can be parted out. There is another of this class ship supposed to be ported there. Probably changing homeports as we speak.
Does the other ship need parts badly enough to salvage scrap from the newest entrant into the Moskva Race to the Bottom competition?
Tom

Monty Python - A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, long, long ago, there lived in a valley far, far away in the mountains, the most contented kingdom the world had ever known. It was called 'Happy Valley', and it was ruled over by a wise old king called Otto. And all his subjects flourished and were happy, and there were no discontents or grumblers, because wise King Otto had had them all put to death along with the trade union leaders many years before. And all the good happy folk of Happy Valley sang and danced all day long. And anyone who was for any reason miserable or unhappy or who had any difficult personal problems was prosecuted under the 'Happiness Act'.

Even beyond the obvious damage, consider how much moe was twisted and warped due to the shock and heat. Likely half or more of the watertight doors aren't watertight any longer. And all the wiring that got severed that goes through the raceways in the overhead of the passageways, all that would likely have to be pulled back all the way to the equipment it services and replaced. That thing is toast.
But I cannot emphasize enough how this hurts the rest of the Black Sea Fleet to have a new ship destroyed. Everything I was stationed aboard in the navy was about thirty years old. The US Navy has a hell of a time keeping their older ships repaired and out to sea, performing their missions. It must be infinitely harder for the Russians to do it on their best days. But with sanctions and shipyards under attack, furgedaboudit. These are hardly their best days.
Yeah, that ship is certainly out of it for the current conflict and likely not repairable.

Strange how Ukraine has more ship kills with land attack missiles than with naval attack missiles!

Tom
But how much shock damage do those parts have?

Now they’re denying it. I bet they really are.

Maybe something they were bandying about since that gunpowder factory got hit in Kotovsk last Friday. I don't know how important that particular factory was but it's nice to see Ukraine able to hit Russian means of production.
I hope Ukraine has more planned not just for war production but striking Russia's economy, hitting oil and gas, something I've heard here and there. We're fairly flush when it comes to oil and gas going into this winter so, why not?

Reactions: SLD
First, windows and tea. Now add beds to the list of safety hazards.

A highly decorated Russian general has been found dead in his home alongside his wife with no clear cause of death.

Lieutenant General Vladimir Sviridov, 68—who was outspoken when he commanded the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense of Russia from 2005 to 2009—was found in the bedroom of his home in the Stavropol Krai on Wednesday, local authorities said. His wife, 72-year-old Tatyana, was found next to him, with the two of them lying side by side in bed, according to Kommersant.

First, windows and tea. Now add beds to the list of safety hazards.

A highly decorated Russian general has been found dead in his home alongside his wife with no clear cause of death.

Lieutenant General Vladimir Sviridov, 68—who was outspoken when he commanded the 6th Army of the Air Force and Air Defense of Russia from 2005 to 2009—was found in the bedroom of his home in the Stavropol Krai on Wednesday, local authorities said. His wife, 72-year-old Tatyana, was found next to him, with the two of them lying side by side in bed, according to Kommersant.
They're going to a better place.

Back
Top Bottom