• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

So you agree that NATO poses absolutely no threat to Russia and therefore NATO expansion can not possibly have provoked Russia to violence.
Why is then US concerned about China's bases in South China Sea? They are not attacking US. Then why the QUAD or SEATO?
The Philippines would disagree with the "not attacking" bit.

Not just the USA. The issue is a threat to freedom of navigation.
China arbitrarily redrew their maps claiming what was international waters to be part of China. And the airspace above
China has not attacked any ship or aircraft, except the collision with a Philippine boat. That should be settled by diplomatic means. I do not know what did they do about it. Talking about Chinese claims is fun. They claim half the world because once the Quing dynasty ruled there.
You need to pay more attention to the news. There have been many incidents between PLA navy and Philippine ships.

That probably explains what they are doing. Taking control of a railway is going to hurt Russian logistics badly.

- After capturing a railway junction in Sudza, the Ukrainians gain access to all train traffic information in the Moscow region, including Kursk. Moscow cannot obscure this system for several reasons, one of which is that all trains would proceed "blindly" and be unaware of what lies ahead. This allows the Ukrainians to likely track the movement of Russian military equipment by rail. (This is explained in more detail in the video I believe I posted yesterday.) :love:

- Ukrainian "saboteurs" were driving civilian vehicles in Russian villages, posing as Russian officials. They gave evacuation orders to the residents through loudspeakers. This caused traffic jams and blockages on the roads, significantly hindering the movement of Russian troops. :giggle:

Last edited:

What to know about Ukraine’s incursion into Russia’s Kursk region​

Just because it is on YouTube, doesn't make it a vetted source. In fact, if it is on YouTube, it most likely not a vetted source.

The source is Kyiv Post.
I would like to know where you find the truth about this war?
And if you tell me what was not right in this video, I promise I will dig deeper.

I could say like this:
'Just because it is on (put any source here), doesn't make it a vetted source. In fact, if it is on (put any source here), it most likely not a vetted source.'

Just because it is on YouTube, doesn't make it a vetted source. In fact, if it is on YouTube, it most likely not a vetted source.

The source is Kyiv Post.

Reuters/AP/BBC/CBC. I expect the accuracy to noise ratio via YouTube videos on the Russian invasion of Ukraine to be approaching zero (especially from any source in the region), with no way to test the claims even if provided in good faith.

The source is Kyiv Post.
And if you tell me what was not right in this video, I promise I will dig deeper.

For those who don't know about this source, it is: http://kyivpost.com. People can find some of the material that Henry posts directly on that page.

It is an obviously biased source, but so what? Barbos has been posting pro-Russia videos here for a long time, and they haven't really changed anyone's opinions that I know of. One just has to be even more careful about trusting news that reports what one wants to believe. Look for corroboration from other sources that don't have a stake in the outcome of the war. Read the content of the articles, because it often contains information that does not fully support the clickbait titles designed to attract eyeballs.

I ask because you give definitive answers to motivation. If you were not part of the process to you have a primary source to support your assertion?
If Russia wanted association with NATO, it should have been encouraged. Why did West did not pursue it? They have always considered Russia as an enemy, and that is the way it ends - in wars. And why do they consider Russia as an enemy, because US thinks so.
You are seriously arguing that France, Germany, Great Britain and other European countries have no independent reasons for distrusting Russia?

BTW, NATO went slow on Russia because they didn’t trust them. In 1994, NATO’s for Peace program started with Russia, In 1997, the NAtO Russia Founding Act was signed, starting the NATO Russia Permanent Joint Council.

The source is Kyiv Post.

For those who don't know about this source, it is: http://kyivpost.com. People can find some of the material that Henry posts directly on that page.

It is an obviously biased source, but so what? Barbos has been posting pro-Russia videos here for a long time, and they haven't really changed anyone's opinions that I know of. One just has to be even more careful about trusting news that reports what one wants to believe. Look for corroboration from other sources that don't have a stake in the outcome of the war. Read the content of the articles, because it often contains information that does not fully support the clickbait titles designed to attract eyeballs.

Yes 100% truth is impossible. Over 90% is Ok with me.
Most of the videos I 'trust' are made by videobloggers from USA, EU and sometimes from Russian dissidents.
What these guys told about the situation in Kursk , the first week, were about 100% from Russian milbloggers because there was no other information available.

The source is Kyiv Post.

Reuters/AP/BBC/CBC. I expect the accuracy to noise ratio via YouTube videos on the Russian invasion of Ukraine to be approaching zero (especially from any source in the region), with no way to test the claims even if provided in good faith.

Reuters/AP/BBC/ - I do not know CBC so well.
About the first three - it depends on the issue. If the issue has been Israel/Palestine - the bias has been very "heavy".
I think that they are more balanced now as anyone can see what Nethanjahu goes for.

Anyway, the bias is often about what the media does not tell.

The word I'm thinking of isn't "tell", but "confirm".
How to confirm anything?
That is the basis of Journalism and why we can trust, to a point, professional journalists. Multiple sources with first hand knowledge.

Kind of like why one goes to a doctor for a medical problem, not YouTube.
And good doctors will tell you to get a second or even third opinion if your problem is serious and complex.
Tom

Putin’s ‘slow, chaotic reaction’ shows Ukraine will sustain Kursk incursion | Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges​

Wiki:
Frederick Benjamin "Ben" Hodges III (born 16 April 1958) is a retired United States Army officer who served as commanding general, United States Army Europe. He has been Senior Advisor to Human Rights First since June 2022 and also serves as NATO Senior Mentor for Logistics
He previously held the Pershing Chair in Strategic Studies at the Center for European Policy Analysis.

Back
Top Bottom