• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How to Maintain Religious Faith

Why can it be so difficult to maintain religious faith? No doubt there are many answers to this question.
Because too many people make things about beliefs (instead of about universal happiness ;-) ). If they're in a group of fellow believers then there's support. But if they get exposed to a bigger world and come to feel like oddballs by social comparison, or it causes them discomfort some other way, then doubts need to be fought off.

I'm the skeptic. The person making the claim has the burden of proof, not I. They need to offer the substance; I don't.
That's not quite true.
It's the way I do things. If you disagree, then how much time do you spend disproving every crackpot claim people tell you? If you make a claim without proof, then I may not believe you especially if it's an outlandish religious claim.
If you're so bleeding right, then just what are you right about?
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I've found that it's best to let the claimant prove her claim. I don't want to waste a lot of time disproving nonsense (unless I'm debating in this forum, of course).
If religious people are wrong, then they're wrong compared to what?
Uh, they're wrong compared to what's right. What else would they be wrong compared to?
Even hellfire bible-believers are the sort of skeptic who finds it easy to declare other sorts of believers are wrong and demand proof of others only.
I wish they would demand that of me!
I don't see a problem with anyone counting their blessings.
They can count anything they want. Just don't count on me to believe what they say.
I would disagree that it's a supernatural being that gives the blessings, but I don't see how that matters at all in this context.
Actually, what you've been arguing is mostly irrelevant to what I said in the OP. So what you're saying doesn't matter "in this context" either.
-------

I'm going to add... I've considered your notion (stated in another thread)...
I'm glad you're paying attention.
...that "truth matters more than happiness" and decided that's wrong.
Then drink a bottle of whiskey and go racing down the road in your car. The truth of the dangers of drunk driving shouldn't deter you from the happiness you'll experience flying along in your car high as a kite! Remember: Happiness matters more than truth as you say.
I'm not saying truth doesn't matter. But, what exactly is the truth that matters more than happiness?
See my example above demonstrating the value of truth over happiness. In general, truth may not necessarily bring happiness, but it sure can help you avoid the misery of costly mistakes made while being currently happy.
The sentiment "truth matters most" as a stand-alone item is just an empty moralism. It needs context - you need to say what truth you have in mind. It's too easy to say "truth matters more than anything" when maybe what you have in mind isn't true.
Respecting truth isn't nearly as hard as you seem to believe. Just use your head and investigate evidence to see what's correct and what's baloney. That's what I have in mind.

Finally, happiness and truth need not be either/or; you can have both. I often experience happiness when discovering the truth.

I don't believe you are a skeptic. Your claim to be a skeptic, or skeptical behavior are not sufficient to support your claim to be a skeptic.
You can disbelieve anything you want. If you doubt what I say, then by all means don't believe it.
Cicero would love this thread.
Have her join the board!

I'll bite, what is happiness and how do you know you have it????

If you are in love, how do you know and prove it???

This and other profound quetions, enquireng minds wnat to know the answers.

Why can it be so difficult to maintain religious faith? No doubt there are many answers to this question.
Because too many people make things about beliefs (instead of about universal happiness ;-) ).
I don't know what you mean by "make things about beliefs."
If they're in a group of fellow believers then there's support. But if they get exposed to a bigger world and come to feel like oddballs by social comparison, or it causes them discomfort some other way, then doubts need to be fought off.
Congratulations--you're maybe the first person here who has engaged the issues I raised in the OP.

And you brought up an additional way people maintain religious faith. Yes, I neglected to say that people maintain religious faith socially surrounding themselves with the likeminded. That way they seem to be less of an "oddball" as you have pointed out. It's rare to see religious loners who maintain their beliefs in spite of their fellows rather than because of them.

I pose, as strangely as this may seem coming from someone who is "a wizard", that there is no reason I see to maintain faith, other than in the idea that each and every one of us, and a good deal of things besides, are capable of pursuing mutually compatible self-actualization and rejecting a good deal of otherwise likely violence to quite a bit higher level than we do today.

It is the faith in the existence of a society of people who love each other, and love having peace between themselves.

But that's faith in something REAL! I can see that and love what it is about with my own two eyes.

Is this not enough?

I pose, as strangely as this may seem coming from someone who is "a wizard", that there is no reason I see to maintain faith, other than in the idea that each and every one of us, and a good deal of things besides, are capable of pursuing mutually compatible self-actualization and rejecting a good deal of otherwise likely violence to quite a bit higher level than we do today.

It is the faith in the existence of a society of people who love each other, and love having peace between themselves.

But that's faith in something REAL! I can see that and love what it is about with my own two eyes.

Is this not enough?
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I don't believe you are a skeptic. Your claim to be a skeptic, or skeptical behavior are not sufficient to support your claim to be a skeptic.
You can disbelieve anything you want. If you doubt what I say, then by all means don't believe it.
Cicero would love this thread.
Have her join the board!
Unfortunately, Ciscero died in the year 43.
When I saw Cicero I thought it was a screen name, not Cicero the person. Then you confused me further by adding the s. But I assume that was a mistake and we're still talking about the person.

Is this not enough?
Does it stand up to observation of human history? I'd say no.

Its like expecting chimps to stop being agressive and combative.

Having evidence to support a conviction is not faith. Trust built on experience is not faith.
I'm not sure how one separates religious faith from religious behavior. Maybe we should call the phenomenon "faith behavior." My experience sees two distinct manifestations of the phenomenon. One behavior is sincere where a person actually believes this stuff is real, finds community and support in their behavior and goes along in life as part of a community where those dogmas are not openly challenged or even discussed. The other form is faith behavior as business for profit. Put the clerics and those making money off the community into this category.

In both cases it's pretty easy to maintain your faith because it literally yields your survival. If you mix in some scientific knowledge and curiosity then those foundational dogmas become less secure. But lacking new knowledge things never change. Kids grow up in a different world in many cases and so their experiences cause them to leave their "faith" in many cases.

Is this not enough?
Does it stand up to observation of human history? I'd say no.

Its like expecting chimps to stop being agressive and combative.
Might as well get rid of all these "law" things then, and quit with all that useless "philosophy" and "ethics" and "rules" junk then ya?

Just be just as aggressive as the chimp?

Maybe you can go eat someone's face off at the nursing home, or oh! I know! Beat someone down with your cane for taking the last of the jello pudding! (Don't actually, this is purely rhetorical!)

I'd say the whole of human history fairly well demands that it IS true. We have always been moving towards a love and better faith in each other's fundamental ability to live with one another.

I CAN expect chimps (ok, baboons) to become as unaggressive and noncombative as their society allows.

There are, in fact, baboon troops who have accomplished this, mostly through removal of members who showed unilateral aggression, and social communication of standards and behavior to newcomers.

At any rate, such love for each other requires no incapability to violence, it merely requires a capability to identify unilateral violence and to direct the remaining violence entirely at such unilateral acts.

For weather reason some of us here are not religious, have some background in science, and are skeptics.

For the vast majority of humans that is not true.

In some ways we are like the theists, we expect after hearing the arguments we make people will make a logical rational choice to be like us. We are puzzled when they do not and keep getting the same results. That endless loop expecting adifferent response is not rational.

At some point the logical conclusion is that there is something to religion we may not be getting. Hypothesis, test hypoyeis, modify or accept hypothesis. The Scientific Method. What is the evidence faith is hard to maintain?

We may not need the community and support f a religion., but many do.

To the OP it is simple observation that maintaiing faith is not hard In the face of the obvious trying to broadly proclaim faith is hard is irrational and obsessive, proselytizing.

Is it hard to listen to music? A large part of religion is theater especially the Catholics. It simply feels good to participate.No more complicated than that.

There is an old video where a baboon is run over by a car. When the same car approches on the riad a cry goes out and the troop throws rocks at the car.

Or the Japnese Snow Monkees. A film maker happed to be around and shot monkees lerning to use a hot spring. In the end they were swimming and hanging around grooming each oter. Put wine in one hnad and cheese in the oer and they coud be Europeans in hot tubs.

Drawing conclusions form one time observation of animlas s is hopelessly anthropomorphic. I doubt yu woyd want to be cught in the open by angry banboons.

Ferl cats and dogs revert to their instincts. Male cats kill kittens to bring females into heat. Dogs form packs with alpha males.

Ukraine is yet another example of human male aggression. Putin and Biden are waving their erect dicks in each others face.

Some here seem to have a myth of a logical, rational, scientific human. Get rid of religion and humans will become rational. In our brias emotion can over ride logic, it is chemistry and hormones.

There is an old video where a baboon is run over by a car. When the same car approches on the riad a cry goes out and the troop throws rocks at the car.

Or the Japnese Snow Monkees. A film maker happed to be around and shot monkees lerning to use a hot spring. In the end they were swimming and hanging around grooming each oter. Put wine in one hnad and cheese in the oer and they coud be Europeans in hot tubs.

Drawing conclusions form one time observation of animlas s is hopelessly anthropomorphic. I doubt yu woyd want to be cught in the open by angry banboons.

Ferl cats and dogs revert to their instincts. Male cats kill kittens to bring females into heat. Dogs form packs with alpha males.

Ukraine is yet another example of human male aggression. Putin and Biden are waving their erect dicks in each others face.

Some here seem to have a myth of a logical, rational, scientific human. Get rid of religion and humans will become rational. In our brias emotion can over ride logic, it is chemistry and hormones.
Steve, I am not drawing conclusions except the conclusions that your claims are false, and that creatures ARE capable of adopting rules that do not comport with their initial emotional impulses, and that when they do, this yields survival value.

From THAT knowledge, I have some latitude to make other statements.

And that this, when applied to socially capable organisms, yields better outcomes as regards the survival of the members of that society.

It is as observable as Darwinian evolution.

This is about game theoretic principles, and those are just as true when the players are chimps, or baboons, or humans.

Having evidence to support a conviction is not faith. Trust built on experience is not faith.
I do not think that is a matter of common agreement. Or, if that is so, then the relationship a lot of people have with God, the gods, spirits, kami, etc, which is based on experience to a large degree, is not faith. Faith is about degree of trust, not the source of trust. You are faithful to those who you would never under any circumstances turn away, and you have faith in those who likewise commit to you. You may believe in your feelings of mutual goodwill even when there is no evidence of it in a a particular situation, but if you are still confident that your sister loves you even when you are having an argument, it doesn't make it "not faith" simply because that trust is partially built on a memory of many shared experiences. Likewise, I think most people see their relationship to God or the other spirits that be primarily in social/relational terms, not as a philosophical claim, and when they talk about their faith, that social relationship is what they're referring to. VERY few people have any strong interest in philosophy or apologetics, or even any patience for talking about them.

I note that in non-personal spiritual systems, such as Taoism, it's extremely rare to hear anyone reference "faith" or "faithfulness" in relation to themselves.

Unfortunately, Ciscero died in the year 43.

Then how do you know that Cicero (please use spell check) would have loved this thread? It's best to offer your own ideas regarding the issues raised in the OP.
I assumed this was a reference to Cicero's very well known perspective on rhetoric - as a kind of public melodrama built on the roles assumed by the speakers over and above any of the facts at hand - rather than the living man's personal likes and dislikes in forum perusal.

I do not think that is a matter of common agreement. Or, if that is so, then the relationship a lot of people have with God, the gods, spirits, kami, etc, which is based on experience to a large degree, is not faith. Faith is about degree of trust, not the source of trust. You are faithful to those who you would never under any circumstances turn away, and you have faith in those who likewise commit to you. You may believe in your feelings of mutual goodwill even when there is no evidence of it in a a particular situation, but if you are still confident that your sister loves you even when you are having an argument, it doesn't make it "not faith" simply because that trust is partially built on a memory of many shared experiences. Likewise, I think most people see their relationship to God or the other spirits that be primarily in social/relational terms, not as a philosophical claim, and when they talk about their faith, that social relationship is what they're referring to. VERY few people have any strong interest in philosophy or apologetics, or even any patience for talking about them.

I note that in non-personal spiritual systems, such as Taoism, it's extremely rare to hear anyone reference "faith" or "faithfulness" in relation to themselves.

Perhaps the relationship that people have with their God or gods is not with a God or gods, but the images of these entites being created in their own minds? In which case their relationship with God is not evidence for the existence of their God.

As for trust, that is built through experience with actual people and things, which is evidence that provides an estimate of trustworthiness.

Back
Top Bottom